Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • OT: Which 2 buy: Top end Aluminum or Lower end Carbon for a (cough) roadbike
  • Frankenstein
    Free Member

Which of the two frame materials -which would you buy and why?

Looking at £1500-2000 and I can get a top end Alu or lower end Carbon both with Ultegra.

Alu: £1400

Carbon: £1800

Use Sportives/training.

I’ve used both materials but now lost the carbon frame… driver lookout!

(Thanks too!) 😀

carbon337
    Free Member

If you buy Alu you will always think you should have bought carbon. If you buy cheap carbon you will always look at great carbon.

I’d go carbon but probably not chinese ebay stuff.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Not the ebay, branded but don’t want to give make as I have not reserved the few remaining bikes left.

igm

Or titanium?

With Sram Red

edhornby

I would get one of the px alu SL with red that they are doing for a grand at the moment – you could get some very nice wheels if you wanted to go pimp, or just put the money back in the bank (needs better tyres though)

anto164
    Free Member

I would never buy a 2nd hand carbon frame. They can hide some fairly big problems.

For £2k, i’d go for decent carbon with ultegra or 105, or a pimping ultegra build on a Ti frame with some nice wheels.

13thfloormonk

I got an Aluminium Cannondale and haven’t looked back, I only look at Carbon bikes then think how much I prefer the look of mine. Once I stick some posh wheels on it I reckon its as good as any similarly priced Carbon bike out there anyway.

doctornickriviera
    Free Member

Last year i bought a giant defy advanced with ultegra in the sales for just over £2k . Its flipping lovely!

Bez

If you buy Alu you will always think you should have bought carbon.

Tush and pish – I’ve had three aluminium road bikes and I’ve never thought I should have bought carbon. I’m guessing you’ve not ridden a Cannondale 🙂

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Have you ridden the bikes? If so just buy the one that you think rides best and fits you best.

If you are buying on line get the one you think looks best as you’ll never know which one fits best or rides best.

RealMan
    Free Member

You should be able to get a pretty decent carbon frame with ultegra for £2000, with decent wheels. Or a very good frame with 105. I’ve got an ok carbon frame and ultegra with rs80s for a bit less then £1500, to give you an idea.

njee20
    Free Member

Carbon

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Went with Alu in the end 🙂

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Is it a Canyon?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘OT: Which 2 buy: Top end Aluminum or Lower end Carbon for a (cough) roadbike’ is closed to new replies.