Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • OT: What road tubes are 'sensible' in terms of weight/thickness etc?
  • poppa
    Free Member

Need some new road tubes. I don't want them heavier than necessary, and I don't want to puncture more than necessary. I use Conti Gatorskins in 25mm form, and I only ride the bike recreationally, but (hopefully) quickly.

As far as I can tell, most manufacturers tend to make one of three types of road tube:

Normal – 105ish grams
    Light – 70ish grams
    V.light – 50ish grams

I can't see myself going for 50g tubes, but if I go for 'light' style 70g ish tubes will I get more punctures?!

Also, my conti 25mms are pretty skinny. If I use a tube rated 18/23mm will I die?

zaskar
    Free Member

Some will stretch and fit while some will blow out on you.

I would risk your health to find out.

for the sake of a few grams? lose weight and get into shape instead?

poppa
    Free Member

Am I out of shape then? Thanks for letting me know!

So I would be endangering myself if I used an 18/23 tube in my 25 tyes then?

crikey
    Free Member

Eh? I've been riding road bikes for 30 years and have never ever ever ever ever bothered to check the weight of my inner tubes. You're using Gatorskins anyway; not exactly high performance tyres and you're concerned about inner tube weight?

Try this; Go to shop, buy inner tubes, fit, ride.

poppa
    Free Member

🙁

Ok.

crikey
    Free Member

Stop that! You've made me feel sorry for you now.. 😀

Have you got a track pump? Best thing you can do for road riding is make sure your tyres are properly pumped up everytime you ride, and think about getting some, um, less agricultural tyres….

poppa
    Free Member

I don't see what's so bad about them… only 20g heavier than Conti GP 4 Season 😉 and £15 cheaper apiece…

crikey
    Free Member

Stop with the weighing tyres thing!

They may not weigh much more but are a bit wooden and not really that sexy..

Bit like these;

as opposed to these;

…and no, I don't know why she's got three legs.

TimothyD
    Free Member

I believe you can get lightweight latex inner tubes, which could possibly worth thinking about. Probably go for lighter tyres first though.

tron
    Free Member

Might save more weight swapping to 23mm tyres.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘OT: What road tubes are 'sensible' in terms of weight/thickness etc?’ is closed to new replies.