Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • OT: Ubuntu + ATI
  • tomhughes46

One for the linux people

Am trying to get a Radeon HD4870 to run under Ubuntu (was Karmic, now Lucid).

Have tried the 'hardware drivers' route.
    Have tried the ATI catalyst route (build the .deb packages)
    Am trying some of the open source ones, but they don't seem to want to build…

Anyone made this work with 3d heavy stuff?

Cheers

Tom

nickjb
    Free Member

You'll probably be better asking here:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/
    or
    http://ubuntuforums.org/

They are both active forums and even geekier than STW

DaRC_L

I'm an Ubuntu noob but I'm assuming you've googled:
    here
    and here

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jond
    Free Member
    tomhughes46

Thanks all. Try to avoid linux forums but those look good.

Have googled until blue in the face and found nothing specific. It's only 3d heavy stuff that's a problem, compiz is ok (although off).

Russell96

Got my HD4850 working with the ATI Proprietary drivers under Karmic using this guide >>

http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubuntu_Karmic_Installation_Guide

Did the Ubuntu software update upgrade to Lucid and it left the ATI drivers as they were 🙂

Hairychested
    Free Member

My Nvidia wasn't too happy after the last version upgrade but 3 days later an update package sorted it out. It might be you need to ignore Radeon drivers.

grahamb
    Free Member

Not all the 3D features are in the upstream ATI driver yet. What is in it is working fine for me here with my 4870 on Fedora 12 with the current experimental-dri-mesa-driver (see here). IIRC there's a port of that for Ubumgo.

If 3D performance is key, you'll need to go the proprietary ATI route, with all the nastiness that brings. If all you're wanting is to run compiz etc then the upstream experimental driver should be good enough.

Best place to be looking for this is probably the Phoronix forums.

nickjb
    Free Member

Try to avoid linux forums but those look good

I wouldn't hang out there but if you have a specific problem they are pretty good.

tomhughes46

Thanks, it's the 3d functionality that I need (for modelling not gaming though), rather than compiz (which I see no use for).

ATI drivers mean it runs faster but full of glitches. VArious others run very very slow.

It's driving me mad.

grahamb
    Free Member

The experimental-mesa-dri-driver should run at similar speed. That the open source drivers run really slowly sounds suggests you don't have direct rendering enabled. Does "glxinfo" show you're actually using DRI ?.

$ glxinfo | grep -i direct
    direct rendering: Yes

tomhughes46

Thanks Graham. Have a meeting today and tomorrow, but will have a look after that when I have more time, and if I destroy it it won't matter so much

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘OT: Ubuntu + ATI’ is closed to new replies.