Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • OT: Tumble Dryer!
  • cb

I really don't want to have to fork out for a new tumble dryer but ours has stopped 'heating'. Knowing nothing about these things, does anyone have a clue as to whether this is a quick fix or in the skip!? Its a condenser type if that helps.

Cheers

neilb67
    Free Member

I have a problem with mine. The belt that runs the fan that blows the hot air into the drum jumps off occasionally. Just take the back off and check that the belt ( big o-ring ) is still on…

TN
    Free Member

Our condenser drier sometimes stops heating if the vents get gunked up – as in the front and back slots of the condenser unit. (I don't know if it is typical, but the condenser unit of ours is removable so you can give it a good clean. Usually does the trick.)
    Good luck.

rob1984p
    Free Member

I can't help with specifics but can say that everytime my parents washing machine goes wrong they get it fixed for between £40 and £60 which is much cheaper than a new one and normally sees another couple years. Support your local independant menders.

oldgit
    Free Member

If it's all working otherwise and just not heating it's likely to be the solenoids round the back were the heater is mounted. If youre lucky they might be resetable ones.

sugdenr
    Free Member

This is usally one of 3 problems;

1. it heats up but nothing really dries. its all gunked up, give it a good clean out

2. it doesnt heat at all. There are usually 2 thermistors accessible under a cover at the back, they regulate the heating element and one tends to go. Do a websearch someehere like ukwhitegoods to find the fault finding instructions. Easy fix if you are handy. sometimes it is even that one just needs resetting on some models.

3. it doesnt heat at all and the thermistors are working. The heating element is burned out. You can replace it. i have done this once, and never again – to get at it you have to severely dismatle the drier and this is a nightmare as the are designed to be strong only when fully screwed together. The drum never fitted right afterwards, and the close took way too long to dry.

After fixing, buying second hand etc. I finally went for a new true 7kg load one, so I we can put the entire 7kg load from the big washing machine in and it really will dry plus it has a high level water tank, no stooping, and even a plumb in pipe so you can send straight to the drain -no tank emptying.

When you think of useage time each week divided by the cost, it works out at pence per week. Fix it or buy 2nd hand and do the same sum and it never works out in the long run.

Do the same sum on your carbon full sus and that works out ridiculously expensive???

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘OT: Tumble Dryer!’ is closed to new replies.