Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • OT: Toaster track world.
  • trail_rat
    Free Member

my toaster killed its self rather than be used by me last week…..

it was about 15 years old – it was a 4 slice – but length ways , not the side by sides that appear to be about just now. – reason being often we use pan bread and also cant stand partially toasted bread as most toasters seem to be too small for modern bread- since i usually toast fromfrozen i get the still frozen or soggy bit at the top.

Like that – how ever not imminent land fill like that.

Decent quality – stainless if possible and with a “cook from frozen” facility.

Our last one was a russell hobbs – how ever they only show a white one in that format on their site these days – everyone seems to love the 4 slices side by side style.

Edit according to google its a kenwood i had….

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/tell-me-about-your-toasters

peteimpreza

This is STW.

Dualit or be burned at the stake!!

😀

andyl
    Free Member

and not the cheap dualit either!

binners

Surely bread (fresh out of your breadmaker, natch) must be toasted, on a fork held up to the flames of your log burner?

I’m sure all the log burner owners will all now have a 3 page argument about what constitutes the best fork 😀

Murray

If you’re into the Dark Side[img]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/71EoE3TQczL._SL1500_.jpg[/img]

trail_rat
    Free Member

dualit all have 4 slices side by side …..

google images shows a real end to end 4 slice dualit – but alas it doesnt have a cook from frozen button (which means you end up with burnt outsides and cold insides) and on further inspection appears not to be availible.

not surethe mrs will go for a darth toaster 😉

trail_rat
    Free Member

http://www.johnlewis.com/magimix-11536-le-toaster-4-4-slice-brushed-stainless-steel/p230872034

for a minute i thought they said 180 quid…….BAHAHAHAHAHAH for a toaster…..

teef
    Free Member

Russell Hobbs 18951: Not a 4 slicer but slots are deep and wide – easily copes with thick crusts, etc:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Search/searchTerm/Russell+Hobbs+18951+Colours+Red+Toaster.htm

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

for a minute i thought they said 180 quid…….BAHAHAHAHAHAH for a toaster…..

Sort of like buying exposure lights! 😆

True test of a toaster is not pan bread, it’s mothers pride plain bread, thick doorstopper! toast of the gods!

trail_rat
    Free Member

obviously thats what i meant being scottish and all that.

i guess it is – cheapo toasters do stand a goodchance of burning the house down if used unsupervised….

trail_rat
    Free Member

although at that price they best come to where im likely to be using the toaster and provide instant back up like exposure do….

grum
    Free Member

I have the cheap Dualit. 🙁

It was free though. 🙂

Despite feeling pretty cheap and plasticky it has worked for quite some time now unlike many previous toasters. Still don’t think I’d pay the asking price.

Del

ignoring your spec completely we got a very nice bosch at work recently. kettle and toaster set for 80 quid. both appear excellent.

trail_rat
    Free Member

del – i did come across a very nice slim line bosch that fitted almost all the spec and would toast plain bread…. then i noticed that it only did that by virtue of having a 2 slice toaster length ways so id have to toast my plain bread one slice at a time……

dont know about you guys but a standard unit serving of toast is 2 slices or multiple there of…..

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I bought Which magazines best on test or whatever, turns out to be very good. It’s a Graef (sp?). And they

nemesis
    Free Member

Just on this point about toasting from frozen – I do that regularly and have never noticed any issue with it not toasting fully or burning. I’m fairly sure my previous toasters were fairly standard offerings and my new one (a dualit 😳 ) seems to do the same…

trail_rat
    Free Member

ah but do you have to then fart about with the dial when you dont toast with frozen bread ?

its a smoke alarm wake up call for the whole house waiting to happen – hence why i like the frozen bread feature.

nemesis
    Free Member

Yes, I just turn it up 1 position – seems pretty consistently the right amount to get the same result as unfrozen bread.

Come to think of it though, I’m fairly sure a previous toaster had the ‘cook from frozen’ button but never did it quite enough so…

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

My Graef just has a button on the side for frozen toasting, I toast from frozen all the time and no issues

phiiiiil

We’ve got a magimix seethrough toaster; one long slot so it will toast any size, and because it’s seethrough you can see exactly how toasted your toast has become, so you can stop it before you end up with a burnt mess. Especially useful for unusual things like brioche or bagels.

The controls are on the front too, so you can actually SEE them rather than having to guess at what the buttons on the side that you can’t see actually do. It’s got a funky toast-one-side-only button for baguettes and things too.

And it looks all cool and glowy red when it’s on.

It was a present, but if it conked out I’d go buy another one immediately, sod the cost.

perchypanther
    Free Member

True test of a toaster is not pan bread, it’s mothers pride plain bread, thick doorstopper! toast of the gods!

+1 for this – Needs to be the Outsider.

If only you could buy an entire loaf of Ootsiders…..

trail_rat
    Free Member

graef looks lovely – 134 quid though. hard to stomach although i do have a whole heap of John lewis vouchers we got as wedding presents to use…

thought i found the holy grail in a breville till i read the amazon reviews page – not a single happy customer most reporting it went bang with a flash and fused theri house within weeks and that the slot was infact too small…..

GRRR tempted just to buy the new model of my kenwood even though its only availible in white….

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Look at the reviews of them tho, buy once buy right. Why do you have to spend £134?, mine cost £70.

trail_rat
    Free Member

you have the 2 slice then ? which will toast 1 piece of plain bread as pictured above.

my previous 40 quid toaster lasted 15 years or more which is why im strugling to spend so much how ever theres not much the same as my previous toaster in the sub 100 quid market…

trail_rat
    Free Member

reviews for the graef from actual users dont seem too favourable even if which liked them.

complaints of it being slow , and uneven toasting – several of them saying it cant hold a candle to their previous 4 slot kenwood – which sounds likethe same one i had.

shame really.

binners

You need one of these….

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRq_SAuQDec[/video]

Failing that, just buy one for a tenner from Aldi, or Asda. Its a toaster FFS! People read reviews of toasters? Seriously? Then spend over a hundred quid on one. Its time to take a long hard look at your life if you’re doing that, I’m afraid boys 😆

trickydisco
    Free Member

After using a gas cooker for toast for 3 years me and the GF finally splashed out on a 4 slice Graef long slot toaster this year

it does seem a bit slower than the toaster at work but it’s solid and more importantly fits the local hipster sour dough from the local baker

trail_rat
    Free Member

i read reviews when they are over 100 quid binners…..because i cant quite belive you need to spend that to fulfill my spec when a 40 quid one has been doing it for 15 years – even accounting for inflation its not 135 quid!

at this rate i might just light the wood burner just to toast my bread….. be cheaper.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

reviews for the graef from actual users dont seem too favourable even if which liked them.

Ah, 🙂 I didn’t actually look at them. Mine’s a bit slow, but I’m always toasting from frozen. Tbh, I just like mine, no idea how it compares to others

cinnamon_girl

They need to pass the tea cakes and hot cross buns test. 🙂

trail_rat
    Free Member

no they dont. that would imply we eat tea cakes and hotcross buns…..

anyway

the russell hobbs 20720 2 slice with 17cm slots is currently in winning – based on wanmankylung having the 4 slice version and it being the hairy bollocks.

– Its starting to sound like the still game toaster sketch in here 😉

cinnamon_girl

OK OK scones then, at least I think that’s what they’re called? Totally different to the English variety.

Just checked, Scottish pancakes is what I meant. 🙄

trail_rat
    Free Member

those ? scones.

We dont eat them at home- we go cycling and stop at a cafe 😀 – if we kept those in the house i would be like

mt
    Free Member

“Surely bread (fresh out of your breadmaker, natch) must be toasted, on a fork held up to the flames of your log burner?”

Bread from a breadmaker! Surely you don’t need one of those things, total amateur.

trail_rat
    Free Member

my breadmaker was too big to fit in the van to bring it to my new house….

perchypanther
    Free Member

Its starting to sound like the still game toaster sketch in here

scones.

Sconio, oh sconio how I wish you that were mine …
    lying oan a teaplate, covered in margarine! 😆

trail_rat
    Free Member

for anyone that cares a russell hobbs 20720 2 slice toaster with XL slots has been purchased.

24.99 from amazon with good reviews.

fulfils all my requirements and doesnt cost a months wages.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘OT: Toaster track world.’ is closed to new replies.