Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • OT suggest a tree for a windy location.
  • trail_rat
    Free Member

I had a cherry tree in the same spot it has died after a couple years.

There is an apple tree maybe 30ft away in the corner of the garden.

Ground is wet- was mulched over round the cherry tree and tree was kept fed. – I do think it budded early last year and got frosted+never recovered.- possibly should have fleeced it ESP as it was still young.

Winds are strong

South facing aspect with no windshield due to exposure.

Would prefer a fruit tree that isn’t another apple tree if possible. Do I just try another cherry.

Ideas on a post card.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Number one – The larch

aroyalnit
    Free Member

We have an allotment on the Woodend Barn allotments in Banchory. Pretty exposed / windy up there, the guy next to us has a couple of plum trees which produce really (surprisingly!) well.

I planted one last year, early days but hoping to get a little fruit this season.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    trail_rat
    Free Member

Is that the fruiting larch flashy.

Plum tree would be something aroyalnit

Plum pie 🙂 the apples make good apple pie…..

perchypanther
    Free Member

Banana.

The Windward Isles are covered in them. Must be pretty windy there i’d have thought.

kcal

ha ha.

Plum is possible, get hardy apple trees. There’s a chap over this way – by Brodie – that does fruit trees, all manner of stuff, he will advise of type / size / style dependent on location..

We had a rotten plum tree that blew over, since then have replaced with a line of various fruit trees – plum, apple, pear as well…

twicewithchips
    Free Member

tsk, herbs not trees. </botany pedant>

Does it have to be full height? What about stepover or espalier apple or the like?

timber

If the ground is that wet, most things will become water logged and drown, with the exception of willow and alder, but they don’t produce anything you can eat. Plums and the more wild varieties like damsons are a good call.

Rowan are pretty robust, particularly if you are up high and you can make a jelly with the plentiful berries.
    Birch can be reasonably tolerant of wet ground too and can be tapped for its sap to make wine.

Whatever you get, don’t stake it too securely. The tree needs movement to develop its own strength and anchorage. Similarly, full tubes won’t allow the sapling to get used to the wind and they can chafe at the top, tubex wrap around type tubes will do to keep small grazers off.

ctk
    Free Member

Plum are best fruit tree for boggy ground iirc.

I like the look of this fruit tree seller in Wales but haven’t got round to ordering a tree for my windy from garden yet.

http://www.iansturrockandsons.co.uk/shopfront.html

timber

ctk – Dolau Hirion near Llandeilo are also good if you are nearer South Wales. Have used them for stuff at work and at home.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘OT suggest a tree for a windy location.’ is closed to new replies.