Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • OT, Skiing content. Stay in Whistler or move on? Help/Advice.
  • michaelmcc
    Free Member

Yo STW crew..

In Whistler at the moment looking for work. Landing a job doesn’t seem to be as straight-forward and easy as I had thought. Not sure whether to stick it out and hope something comes along or move on to another ski area like Big White, Fernie, Revelstoke or somewhere else like that. It will be about a 10 hour bus journey to anywhere else good from here though, been on the greyhound bus website.

Any suggestions? Most places here don’t seem to be hiring for another couple of weeks or so.

Anyone been out here before around this time of year and landed work?

Cheers..

_tom_
    Free Member

Don’t have any advice on skiing but good luck, I found it really tough to get a job there, a lot of the places seem very cliquey. Currently sat in Vancouver waiting to fly back to England tomorrow 🙁

I reckon you’ll definitely want to be back in Whistler for bike season though, it’s insanely good fun.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Why you flying back already?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    _tom_
    Free Member

Couldn’t get a job and ran out of money haha. Still had an awesome 2 months of daily riding so I can’t complain.

Mugboo

You need to perfect an Aussie accent!

BigWhite had a few Brits working there last time I went.

My whistler taxi driver said it takes a few seasons. You start off with the crappy jobs, ie, early mooring work (miss the pow) and work your way up to a cushy number.

Good luck 🙂

BearBack
    Free Member

No tourists, no work.

Mid Oct – Mid November are the dead season. Places are struggling to giver their core staff enough hours.. thats why the frenchies start theiving things this time of year 😉

Assuming you’ve not done the WB hiring process
    Assuming you dont have accommodation lined up.

If you’re applying for jobs with no secured accommodation.. you’ll not get far. Employers want to offer jobs to people who are stable for the season.. not those who didn’t get a house/room so end up not being able to stay.
    So, no accommodation.. lie about that until you do.

There will be a wealth of work across all manner of companies. Its a huge resort with a huge number of seasonal jobs. Its just not employment season right now so wait it out but keep applying and getting yourself set for a season.

If you move to other places… its still not ski season, and those resorts have less residents to service.. so, less chance of finding work at this point.

Suns coming back out this week.. ‘From the Inside Out’ premiere on Thursday.. do soem funs stuff and enjoy not having a job while the resorts dead!

Good luck 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘OT, Skiing content. Stay in Whistler or move on? Help/Advice.’ is closed to new replies.