Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • OT – Showertrackworld
  • LapSteel
    Free Member

My old Triton 80 has packed in (Keeps spitting out the PRD) just wondered if anyone knew of any deals on decent easy to install electric showers? preferably under £100

Stoner
    Free Member

check that the hose hasnt got twisted inside the outer protector.

Bit like an old telephone cord, when people take the shower head down, it often gets a twist before going back up. The thin plastic hose inside the coiled protector then gets crimped and has the effect of restricting flow and blowing the PRD.

LapSteel
    Free Member

I’ve replaced the hose and showerhead and it still blows….fed up of messing about now with what is quite an old shower……and the PRD ball keeps going down the plughole which is annoying when you keep telling the kids to put the plug in!

ebygomm
    Free Member

What size cable feeds it? If it’s an older shower you might need new cable if you replace the shower

Stoner
    Free Member

obviously easiest replacement to install then is the same model – and hoping they havent re-jigged any of the connections.

If you do replace it, unless you know that the power supply cable is rated for higher, you should stick to one no more powerful than the one you’re replacing – by the look of it 8.5kW to 10.5kW for the Triton 80 depending on the exact model.

nealglover
    Free Member

I’ve replaced the hose and showerhead and it still blows….fed up of messing about now with what is quite an old shower……and the PRD ball keeps going down the plughole which is annoying when you keep telling the kids to put the plug in!

Did you replace the PRD or just out the ball back in ?

Once they have blown once, they never work again properly really.

If you have changed the hose and head since it first blew, maybe try a new PRD as that may actually be the only issue now ?

Stoner
    Free Member

^ indeed.

I assumed you replaced the PRD not just the ball in the PRD.
    As neal says, blowing the ball out slightly opens the plastic outlet that it sits in which will effectively lower the pressure at which the ball will be forced out a second, thrid, nth time.

http://www.showerdoc.com/triton-prd-pressure-relief-device-and-o-ring-pair-83301330

£8 for a new PRD is better than £150 for a new shower….

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=z8AyW1x4pKs[/video]

LapSteel
    Free Member

Tried putting ball back in and have bought 2 new PRD’s, the last one after a new shower head and hose. Obviously cheaper than a new shower though £8 every few weeks soon adds up!

The existing shower is 7.5KW the new ones are available in 8.5 to 10.5KW so will have to go with 8.5

Not sure what the cable is rated for….its a big thick grey one like what is used for internal wiring to plug sockets etc

Stoner
    Free Member

8.5kW shower will be rated at c.37A

you can get away with 6mm2 (borderline) cable for that, but 10mm2 would be better.

Your RCD needs to be sufficiently rated too.

Hopefully your 7.5kW was installed with 10mm2 and 40A RCD which will cope with 8.5kW too.

LapSteel
    Free Member

Your RCD needs to be sufficiently rated too

I’ll check it later 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

find one you want then check eBay. (If you wanna save money that is)

nealglover
    Free Member

I never found eBay cheaper/cheap enough to persuade me away from the plumbers merchants.

DezB
    Free Member

Really?? Wow, I saved literally £100s on my bathroom and kitchen fittings.

nealglover
    Free Member

Trade accounts help, plus I wouldn’t risk buying off eBay (unknown source) for fitting in a customers house.

Not worth the lack of backup/customer service if things go wrong.

(As an example, a customer rings with a problem on a shower I installed, I stop off and collect another shower from the plumbers Merchants on the way round, no need to pay for it until the problem is solved. So I arrive with everything I need to sort/replace etc. and return the rest once the customer is sorted, you don’t get that on eBay 😉 )

DezB
    Free Member

Got excellent back up for my shower – the fitter found a small piece of plastic missing from the unit – eBay seller sent me a new part, no questions.
    Still each to their own, I’m prepared to go with internet selling to save 100s of quids, others ain’t.
    BTW most eBay sellers are just plumbers merchants who have found a good way to set up shop online.

nealglover
    Free Member

I agree, but as the person who is Supplying and Fitting the Shower, I can’t wait for new parts to arrive by post.

The customer needs a shower to work, and I need fast access to the parts or replacement to sort it.

It sounds like you Bought the Shower yourself, and got a fitter to fit it for you, which is different as you are responsible for any problems with the unit, or any delay in getting parts to sort it, rather than the fitter being Red Faced explaining to you that it won’t be ready for a week as he’s waiting for an eBay seller to send missing bits.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘OT – Showertrackworld’ is closed to new replies.