Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • OT: sealant
  • Pook

I've sealed a door using multi purpose sealant, but it's taking ages to set. It says three days, but it's been that long now and it doesn't look like it's setting any time soon.

Any tips? Can I put a heater on it? I don't think the cold weather, wind and rain have helped matters.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I doubt putting heat on it will make it set – it will cure with exposure to oxygen, not heat. Have you read the instructions? Is it meant for outdoor use? Is it meant to set solid or be flexible?

meeeee
    Free Member

some mastic stuff i've used in the past doesnt really set firm ( it was some brown stuff, not a silicone sealer). I'm no expert though all i know really is how to fill holes in teeth, and i didnt use sealer for that 😀

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

What product is it exactly (brand/product)…

Pook

I doubt putting heat on it will make it set – it will cure with exposure to oxygen, not heat. Have you read the instructions? Is it meant for outdoor use? Is it meant to set solid or be flexible?

It's for internal and external use, and it's been used on an internal door. I did read the instructions, and it's meant to be flexible. I'm sure that doesn't mean tacky though.

MF – it's Unibond Easy Finish All Purpose Sealant – White and i've sealed the frame around a upvc door/stone step.

Pook

bump

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Has it still not gone off ? 😯

A quick search revealed that 'Unibond Easy Finish All Purpose Sealant' is water based, so if after several days in warm and dry conditions it still hasn't gone off, I would be very tempted to scrape off as much of the stuff as possible (maybe also use hot water and washing up liquid ?) and re-seal using a completely different product.

Pook

not checked it today actually – it's at my Gfs. Will check tonight.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘OT: sealant’ is closed to new replies.