Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • OT: Running watch for Garmin HR monitor
  • meandyuk

Hi,
    Can anyone recommend a running watch that will work with my Garmin HR monitor? I’m not sure if these are compatible with other brands too? i.e. Polar or if I’m stuck with Garmin.

Don’t need GPS as I use my phone for that…… so ideally I’m looking for a watch that isn’t bulky but will give me my HR.

Cheers,
    Andy

SamB
    Free Member

You should be able to use any watch that is Ant+ compatible. Polar are specifically NOT – they use a proprietary communications protocol – but lots of others are.

I can’t recommend any though as I’m quite happy with my Garmin watch 😀

meandyuk

Ah ok thanks, didn’t want to sound like I’d not have a Garmin as I would, just not a bulky gps one… which do you have?

Cheers

SamB
    Free Member

I’ve got a bulky GPS one, the 910XT. It does swimming, biking and running (and transitions 😉 ) so perfect for what I use it for.

If you want something a bit less bulky, how about the new Forerunner 220? DC-Rainmaker does excellent reviews (including side-by-side size comparisons) – here’s his on the 220: http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/11/garmin-forerunner-depth-review.html

bluebird
    Free Member

My SO has just got a Garmin Forerunner 620. It’s a great bit of kit and not bulky. It comes with a running specific HRM strap that can tell you how many times your feet hit the ground and how much you bounce up and down as you run. If you just want a ‘basic’ one the 220 is cheaper and the same shape/size.

MrNice
    Free Member

i’ve got the FR210. It’s only slightly thicker than an average watch and doesn’t look bulky even on my scrawny wrist. From the pics in that review the 220 looks noticeably thinner. Definitely a long way from things like the 910 (though obviously it doesn’t have so many functions)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘OT: Running watch for Garmin HR monitor’ is closed to new replies.