Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • OT: Road bike tyres
  • mikey74
    Free Member

My bike needs some new boots: Are Conti GP4000s still the standard? Is there anything else that is worth looking at?

Also, any deals about on said tyres?

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

IMO Gp4000s’s are second to none.

I am not an expert and I may be wrong.

mikey74
    Free Member

That is currently my thinking as I have been using them for the last few years. I am happy to buy them again, I just wondered if anything else had come out that was comparable.

They are pricey too @ £60/set.

si69jc
    Free Member

Conti attack / force are pretty nice..

lunge

See, I really don’t like GP4000s at all, had no confidence in them at all. I was a big fan of Schwalbe Ultremo’s but whilst I still like their grip and feel I have had 3 pairs split (all replaced on warranty in fairness) so have moved on to Michelin Pro4’s which seem good. However, my favourite at the moment is a pair of Challenge Forte open tubulars which in my eyes are absolutely brilliant.

jambon
    Free Member

Aren’t Vittoria meant to be good? Planet X always seem so do good deals on them.

mrmo
    Free Member

never found a pair of contis i liked, planning on going back to Vredestein Fortezzas shortly.

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

GP4000s are reliably boring. Vittoria Open Corsa Evo SCs for me now that the weather’s nicer.

identicalbutlighter
    Free Member

Michelin Pro Race for me, never had a problem with them, I’ve usually gone for last year’s model as they’re always cheaper.
    I thought Contis wore fast and punctured easier, Schwalbe Ultremos are ok but seem a bit harsh, Vittoria Open CX for the as near as a tub as you’ll get from a clincher feeling, not very robust however.
    There’s not much to choose between all of the decent expensive offerings though, how much pressure you stick in them makes the biggest impact.

schnor
    Free Member

I was looking at a pair of summer tyres earlier – £44.84 including delivery from Germany, which is pretty good TBH. Some cheap 4000S’s there too.

BadlyWiredDog

There’s a difference between the GP400S – in black – which uses the Black Chilli compound rubber and standard GP4000, which doesn’t. The former is grippy in wet or dry conditions and ime, decently durable and fast too. The latter is a so, so tyre in the standard rubber compound. I lost count of what’s what, but the 4000S comes in black only and as a 23 and a 25. I really like them, but then I can’t remember the last time I bothered riding on anything else.

mikey74
    Free Member

So GP4000s it is then? :mrgreen:

will
    Free Member

I’ve been using these for a few months after 2 years of Ultremos, light, good grip, good puncture protection (why I got them)and cheap.

http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/k373/a12488/grand-prix-24-622-mm-black.html

Raouligan
    Free Member

Veloflex are lovely

nick1962
    Free Member

GP4000s are reliably boring boringly reliable

😉

mashiehood
    Free Member

Vredestein Fortezzas – the worst tyre i have ever used, one ride, no grip whatsoever. Sold on here! I now use Michelin Pro 4 and they have been great,

TiRed

Schwalbe Ultremos, or Durano S for winter, commuting and training. They’ve been excellent all winter. Both very good in the wet. Currently racing on Mavic’s new tyres and I have nothing but good things to say about those too.

bol

I’ve been using some S-Works Turbo 24s just lately, and while they’re supposedly a race tyre, I haven’t punctured yet, while those around me have, and they’re the comfiest, fastest feeling tyres I’ve ever used. Granted my experience isn’t huge, but I’d say I rate them over the Contis or Ultremos I’ve had. Bloody expensive though (although I got them as a freebie with some wheels).

Gary_M
    Free Member

I’ve used vittoria open corsa evo cx on my best bike for the last year or so and they really are a fantastic tyre. Under £60 a set from high on bikes eBay shop. I was going to get a set of the new sl version this season but only wiggle seem to have them in stock at the moment at £45 a tyre.

I’ve used loads of different tyres – Michelin, schwalbe, conti and the vittoria are the best I’ve used.

Bez

There’s a difference between the GP400S – in black – which uses the Black Chilli compound rubber and standard GP4000, which doesn’t.

The black GP4000 has been Black Chili for a couple of years or so now (the other colours of GP4000 are not). For some reason they didn’t make any noise about that when they introduced it.

Anyhoo, I still swear by the GP4000S as well.

globalti
    Free Member

Michelin Pro 3s with Conti lightweight tubes; fast, comfortable and more practical than latex tubes, which are fast and sound lovely but too fragile for day to day use.

hammerite
    Free Member

Normal riding Vittoria Rubinos, racing Schwalbe Ultremos.

brakes
    Free Member

another GP4000S fanboi here.
    they’re so sticky, glass sticks to the rubber and gradually works its way into the carcass and you get a puncture. not too much of a problem if you check them now and then and tweeze out the tiny shards of glass.

Gary_M
    Free Member

latex tubes, which are fast and sound lovely but too fragile for day to day use.

I’ve been using Michelin latex tubes for the past year and not had any issues. They do loose aid but I always check my tyres before a ride anyway.

MikeWW
    Free Member

Schwalbe Ultremo ZX best tyres I’ve come across

Gary_M
    Free Member

Conti 4 seasons on the commuter though, very robust and again a great tyre, just not as ‘special’ as the Vittoria.

stanfree
    Free Member

I did the classic Beleach Na Ba – Applecross – Torridon route on some Conti Grand Prix 24’s yesterday and was really impressed with them. £49.99 with tubes from Velo Ecosse In Edinburgh.

jemima
    Free Member

Not being funny like, I’m new to road biking… how do you know when the tyres are worn out?

bigG
    Free Member

Michelin Krylion Carbon’s are my tyre of choice. Better than anything I’ve tried (and I’ve tried most of the above). + a selection of sidewall colours to match your bar tape and saddle for extra points.

Bez

how do you know when the tyres are worn out?

You’ll get frequent punctures and perhaps start seeing threads. Road tyres also wear a flat profile in them since you’re mostly on the central patch. Some, like Contis, have wear indicators – when they disappear the tyres are (by the manufacturer’s definition) worn out.

genghispod
    Free Member

Michelin Krylion Carbons – bought these as they are supposed to be almost puncture proof. I was very surprised to find that they feel like a race tire, very very fast and extremely grippy. They are on my ss commuter, would fit them on my road bike.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘OT: Road bike tyres’ is closed to new replies.