Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • OT – recommend me a Brad-nailer
  • tymbian
    Free Member

As above, I’ve some oak architrave to fit and would like to use a nailer, what would you recommend. There one in the screwfix catalogue for about £90 but don’t know whether its any good…

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Link to the screwfix one?

How many sets do you have to do?

maccruiskeen

If you’ve already got a compressor then I’ve never managed to buy a bad 16 gauge nailer – screwfix, toolstation and amazon cheapies have all been great. I’ve also ever managed to buy good 18 gauge nailer – either air or mains powered, air ones just destroy the nails and you get frequent misfires and jams. Mains ones just can’t get the nail into the wood.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Do tool hire companies hire out gas nailers? For oak, you’ll need something decent. As maccruiskeen says, a 16 gauge hitched to a compressor would do the job too.

tymbian
    Free Member

Screwfix link

I have 4 Oak Door-sets to do & approx 50m oak skirting although this probably wont be any good firing into med density block..

i don’t have a compressor but have dewalt 18v Ni-cad batteries as well as Milwaukee 18v Li-ion batteries.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Ooooh…oak skirting. That’ll be fun. 🙂

Probably have to screw and plug that (can be a PITA though). Also, rapid setting foam (and some heavy weights) can be good for shorter lengths. It may be that the brad will nail as a holder while foam or glue is going off. You’ll find the brad nailer and some mitre-mate handy for the skirting.

EDIT: sorry, can’t comment on the screwfix nailer. Don’t know anything about those.

gwaelod
    Free Member

A Brad Nailer??

is it Chris Froome?

maccruiskeen

I had a 50mm/18ga tacwise mains nailer, similar but different to the one on the link – I had terrible trouble with it – frequent jams and misfires, hated it. For a corded tool it had a really short cord too. I was using it with MDF and chipboard onto timber battens. Dreadful.

If you’ve got dewalt nicad / nihm batteries (or the early Li ions that were the same shape) then see if you can find a deal on a bare cordless dewalt 16 guage nailer. They work really well. Just as capable of driving in the nail as an air nailer but less wild, abrupt and percussive than the air one, you can work more neatly. I doubt you’ll get one for as little as £100, but theres ones about under £200 on ebay.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Do hope you’ll be pelleting those holes that you’re drilling.
    If not you may as well use softwood and stain it “oak”….

beaker2135

four sets! I wouldn’t bother with a nailer just use pins, hammer & a punch. you can pre drill holes to stop fine pins bending. It’s easier to see where to hide pins in the profile without a big nail gun in the way

chunkymonkey
    Free Member

Where do you live mate? If local to me you can borrow mine if you want.

tymbian
    Free Member

That’s kind of you, I’m down Banbury way…don’t know how this works to you.

tymbian
    Free Member

@ wrightyson…of course. 12.7mm then the flush-cut saw comes out.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

chunkymonkey
    Free Member

Bugger – am up on Yorkshire, sorry mate.

tymbian
    Free Member

@ chunky..no worries, thanks though.

@ no_eyed_dear..yes that’s the one I want!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘OT – recommend me a Brad-nailer’ is closed to new replies.