Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • OT – "Of which sugars . . ."
  • teacake
    Free Member

What are they talking about here when they measure “sugars”. Is it just Sucrose or is it more? Can’t find any detail on the subject.

A bit disappointed malt extract can be added to “no added sugar products” when it’s made of lots of “sugars”.

grizedaleforest

It’s all sugars – sucrose, fructose etc. Do a search for nutrition labels…

hilldodger
    Free Member

as far as I recall, food legislation wise “sugars” is taken to be any mono- or di-saccharide

binners

Who are ‘they’?

cloudnine
    Free Member

No more than 8 Spoonfuls per day

zilog6128

No more than 8 Spoonfuls per day

Can you take the spoonfuls of sugar at any time during the day or do they have to be with meals?

thepurist

Lots of different sugars out there. It’s important to know what you’re getting into.

midlifecrashes

Any time you like, any size spoon you like, if it fits your macros…

hilldodger
    Free Member

“The term ‘sugars’ covers the full range of mono– and disaccharide molecules, for example, fructose, sucrose, glucose, lactose and maltose.”

Best everyday definition I could find……

binners

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjBwe6IL10o[/video]

slowoldman

Can you take the spoonfuls of sugar at any time during the day or do they have to be with meals?

To be taken with medicine.

hugo
    Free Member

All 7 of them!

It’s useful to know, but not the whole story.

For example if you asked most people what the main constituent of whole fat milk was, most people would say fat. It’s actually sugar (lactose).

Also, it depends on how available these sugars are. Fruits and veg have sugars (think why carrot cake works), but think how the amount of fibre and other things change the speed sugar can be processsed, and sometimes don’t actually allow these to be bioavailable. This is why the GI for things with similar sugar contents can vary so much.

This is why added sugars are an issue. They are normally very easily digestible, and so have a big effect on spiking insulin and everything that leads to. Also foods being liquidised needs to be considered. Think eating and orange (good), vs orange juice (similar to sugaring pop).

teacake
    Free Member

Bravo Hugo (difficult to say that without sounding posh)!

This issue of how available sugars are seems to be the important part and the reason processed foods make us fat (citation needed).

In my industry we were measured on copper levels in our effluent but now the measure is being moved to bio available copper since this is a better representation.

kcal

Used to love going round to my mate’s house grwoing up – his mum would always have a jar/tub of malt extract in the kitchen, “help yourself”…

Mate came from a large family, they were all well over 6′ in height..

His dad used to work at SMD, which may explain the predilection for malt extract.

but can’t help the OP’s query 🙂

miketually
    Free Member

A bit disappointed malt extract can be added to “no added sugar products” when it’s made of lots of “sugars”.

If you eat an apple, you’re eating sugar but nobody has added any. (If you discount years of selective breeding.)

onehundredthidiot

Hugo, I think you’ll find the main constituent of whom fat milk is water.

onehundredthidiot

Whole fat.

Stupid phone.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘OT – "Of which sugars . . ."’ is closed to new replies.