Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • OT – odd file permissions problem in Vista
  • TheFlyingOx

At work, and the IT guy is nowhere to be found.

The PC I’m on has run out of HDD space, and I can’t save any work. Emptied recycle bin, deleted temp internet files, etc. but I still only have about 44mb available from a 150gb HDD. I’m trying to shift some files to a network drive to free up space but it tells me I need permission to do so. Tried to copy them instead with the same result. Oddly though, I can delete them with no questions asked.

I’ve changed the permissions to allow everyone access to everything, but it won’t let me turn off “read-only” in the file/folder properties tab. As in it will, but then I select them again, they’re back to read-only. Permissions stay as everyone has full permission though.

Difficulty: no Admin privileges.

Any ideas?

Drac

It’s probably not the files but the HDD your trying to copy to. You’ll need your IT bods for that and while your on to them ask when they’re going to stop using HDDs from 10 years ago.

D0NK

What are you trying to move? One of our users helpfully moved most of the windows folder contents to a different drive. Do you have write rights for the network drive and is there space?

ask when they’re going to stop using HDDs from 10 years ago.

give a user a 1Tb drive and then there’s even more unbacked up data for them to lose when the hard drive (inevitably) dies

TheFlyingOx

Ha! I’ll give it a shot but given they made us use IE6 until November last year I doubt I’ll get much out of them re: better PCs. It’s a major oil company too, so it’s not like they’re short of a few bob.

Think I’ve got around it. Zip the files up and move them seems to work. Then I can delete the originals.

Cheers.

TheFlyingOx

They’re someone else’s music/game files (fairly lax IT policy here 🙂 ). There’s room on the network drive.

Drac

give a user a 1Tb drive and then there’s even more unbacked up data for them to lose when the hard drive (inevitably) dies

Yeah but 150GB is pathetic.

chvck
    Free Member

Yeah but 150GB is pathetic.

Depends on what the user is using the machine for? If they’re mainly doing emails and writing up word documents then surely 150gigs is plenty enough?

TheFlyingOx

Depends on what the user is using the machine for?

A lot of excel pish and a few emails, but the major thing is storing reasonably large Gas Chromatograph files (10 a day, for the last x years). Your 150Gb is going to run out fairly quickly.

chvck
    Free Member

A lot of excel pish and a few emails, but the major thing is storing reasonably large Gas Chromatograph files (10 a day, for the last x years). Your 150Gb is going to run out fairly quickly.

Fair enough, though I’d question why you don’t have a server to push that sort of thing to?

D0NK

if it’s disposable but nice to keep data get a massive HDD, if it’s important (or even “mission critical” *shudders*) it needs to be on a proper server with proper backups.

Drac

Depends on what the user is using the machine for? If they’re mainly doing emails and writing up word documents then surely 150gigs is plenty enough?

Evidently not for this guy.

TheFlyingOx

We do, but we only have a limited amount of space on it. Seems to be a company-wide system that gives everyone exactly the same spec pc and exactly the same space on the server. Given that 99% of general pc users just faff about with powerpoint and outlook, it’s a system that works fine. The remaining 1% with more storage needs are SOL.

Zipping and moving doesn’t work, as the archive manager (7-zip) now can’t read the compressed files inside the .7z

2Gb of metallica and Bejeweled Deluxe-esque games. I don’t really want to delete them cos they ain’t mine, but if I get IT in they’ll be gone anyway as they’ll obviously be deemed unnecessary.

Drac

2Gb of metallica and Bejeweled Deluxe-esque games. I don’t really want to delete them cos they ain’t mine, but if I get IT in they’ll be gone anyway as they’ll obviously be deemed unnecessary.

Well there goes my argument.

chvck
    Free Member

Burn them to DVD and delete them?

TheFlyingOx

It won’t let me do anything with them apart from delete them. Everything else gets a “you need permission…” message. For info, the rest of the stuff in this guy’s folder transferred no problem. Just these few things I’m having the trouble with.

enfht
    Free Member

Yeah but 150GB is pathetic

Calm down dear it’s only a work desktop

mossimus
    Free Member

As above 150GB is pleanty for a workstation, anything that matters will (or should) be saved on a server. Would ahve though you could find somethng to delete if you looked hard enough? Try searching for large files, bound to be a couple of superfluous ones.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘OT – odd file permissions problem in Vista’ is closed to new replies.