Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • OT – New Snowboard choices
  • julians
    Free Member

A bit off topic, but there seems to be a few snowboarders on here.

My current board ( A 2009 burton Custom X) was damaged beyond repair on the way back from St Anton at the weekend, so I need a new board and now seems like a good time of year to buy one, with a few discounts being available.

I’m looking for a high quality all mountain board, I’ve narrowed it down to one of the following, does anyone have any views as to which way I should go (dont say demo them, that is not an option):-

– Another Burton Custom X, but the 2013 model – a safe choice as I loved my 2009 model, but I wonder if I should try something new.
    – Burton Custom flying V – Quite fancy trying out one of these new fangled rocker type boards, but dont know if it’ll be a mistake
    – Burton Antler – maybe a bit too park oriented for me, I dont do jumps/rail, but I do do everything else.
    – Jones Mountain Twin
    – Bataleon the jam

Anyone got any feedback on the above? or any others to throw into the mix.

GrahamS

dont say demo them, that is not an option

Can’t you at least do demos at one of the snowdomes?

oliverd1981
    Free Member

We did have the quite recent what snowboard discussion.

I’d say in this case it depends how much your isurance will re-imburse you, (or if you’re paying yourself) if they insist you get like for like / limit you to specific stores.

If i was spending custom X money I’d want something a bit more unusual than a Burton – a lib tech or something similar

If I was spending my own money I’d just get an all mountain ride/nitro/omatic/anything in the sale. If it was feeling flush , maybe the lightweight Ride UL. I’d spend the rest on a longer holiday next year 😉

dafoxster
    Free Member

I can’t comment on the above as I haven’t ridden any of those, but I would take a look at Arbor boards. The build quality on my Roundhouse RX is great, the topsheet is really holding up well after 25+ days this season and lots of knocks off piste.

I am keen on trying the Jones and the Bataleon though as I have heard good things.

agent007
    Free Member

You really do need to be a good rider to get the best out of the Jones boards. I’d say try something like a K2 Slayblade. I’ve had one for 3 years, loved it and just bought another one here – absolute bargain:

Slayblade

julians
    Free Member

cant have a slayblade, a mate already has one, so dont want to get the same as him.

thekingisdead
    Free Member

cant have a slayblade, a mate already has one, so dont want to get the same as him.

Don’t mean to be rude, but, WTF? Are you 12?

julians
    Free Member

Don’t mean to be rude, but, WTF? Are you 12?

each to their own, I just dont want the same board as he owns, partly because I think theres value in having something different so we can all try out each others different kit, and gain experience of different things, but also theres definately something not right about two people who hang out together wearing/using the same kit/clothes/whatever at the same time.

*shuffles off as thread descends into the usual singletrack bickerfest.*

PS – Thanks all for the useful input, I think I’ll try a burton custom flying V.

Mugboo

Endeavour Live RC

YoGrant
    Free Member

I’d go with a new Custom, can’t really go wrong with it. If you want a rocker def try at a dome before you buy.

rideslikeagirl
    Free Member

Have you tried a rocker board before Julians?

I think you need to decide what type of terrain your mostly on. While the Flying V is posted as all mountain, it won’t be great at locking in an edge on hard packed piste. Won’t be horrific, but a bit jittery and skittish across the surface. So if your preference is blasting it on the hard pack, maybe consider a board which isn’t such a pronounced rocker as the Flying V

If hard packed isn’t your thing and your mainly riding park/like ungroomed/softer/cut up piste/off-piste/powder, then a rocker will be absolutely ace

I’ve been riding a rocker for 2 years now, grin and bear it on hard groomed pistes of a morning, but the pay off of never having caught a single edge since I switched to this board is most certainly worth it. Makes it handy for developing your freestyle tricks

russ295
    Free Member

Never summer sl.

Nuf said!

bravohotel8er
    Free Member

I think the Custom was the first board that I ever really wanted, have had two of them over the years, both great.

I’ve got a Lib Tech TRS now, can’t say enough good things about Lib.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘OT – New Snowboard choices’ is closed to new replies.