Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • OT: New cockpit for my roadie
  • mikey74
    Free Member

I am building up my roadie frame and need some forks, stem and handlebars.

Nothing too expensive, but I’d like something that can smooth out the road vibration a bit.

Also, I never use the drops on my handlebars, I so I was thinking about some of those compact ones.

Any suggestions?

resisted
    Free Member

Look at the mid-range Pro cockpit kit (PLT I think), really smart and well priced, though I think FSA do the biggest range of compact wing bars.

As far as forks go, Easton EC70 would be a good mid-range bet, get something with a bit of sweep for absorption.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

3T do some nice bars and stems…

clubber
    Free Member

but I’d like something that can smooth out the road vibration a bit.

That’s what the bar tape is for IMO (Unless you spend lots on good carbon parts).

thomthumb
    Free Member

Also, I never use the drops on my handlebars

people who say that tend to have the cockpit set up all wrong??

mrmo
    Free Member

For vibrations look at some gel pads to go under the tape.

mikey74
    Free Member

people who say that tend to have the cockpit set up all wrong??

My previous road bike was customised for me, and I never used the drops on that either. I just prefer using the hoods of the brakes.

mikey74
    Free Member

Or maybe I should just decide I’m polishing a turd (a Trek 1000 frame) and get a new bike.

oddjob
    Free Member

I just got the Zipp Service Course SL ones which seem good value for money (the non SL is a bit cheaper) but they are pretty damned stiff so may not be your cup of tea

rootes1

That’s what the bar tape is for IMO (Unless you spend lots on good carbon parts).

Specialized Roubaix is nice and if you need more comfort they do one with Roubaix tape plus gel inserts to go under the tape.

had the latter on my road bike – feels nice and does take the buzz off the road

MrSmith
    Free Member

My previous road bike was customised for me, and I never used the drops on that either. I just prefer using the hoods of the brakes.

lack of fexibility and scared of the extra speed the drops give you? or did the drops look at you a bit funny one day and you took offense to their shifty look?

rootes1

if you like hoods and don’t use the drops – fit a bull/cow horn bar

ourmaninthenorth

FSA Vero – comfy compact drops (but a little narrow for advertised size – might prefer to size up). Oh, and drops are nothing to be scared of.

Fork – try the usual Alpina offerings from Ribble.

Bar tape – a million choices. But I’m old(er) school, and use Cinelli cork. Plenty of buzz kill.

Stem – might as well go FSA to match the bars.

mikey74
    Free Member

lack of fexibility and scared of the extra speed the drops give you? or did the drops look at you a bit funny one day and you took offense to their shifty look?

Not at all. I am fine using the drops, just prefer to use the hoods. It might be to do with the fact that as most of my road rides are after work, I pretty much always have a backpack on, which can interfere with my helmet if I get too low on the drops.

MrBlond
    Free Member

FSA Vero / Omega compact + 1

aP
    Free Member

Customised? With funny bars and a betty seat?

onandon
    Free Member

mikey74 if you are local to Fleet in Hampshire I have around 30 road bars you can take a look at or try.

e-mail me if you need any details
    All the best
    Steve

mikey74
    Free Member

Thanks Steve. I’m a couple of hours away from Fleet, but I’ll keep that in mind.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘OT: New cockpit for my roadie’ is closed to new replies.