• This topic has 11 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Sui.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • OT: Laguna Auto box no 4th gear
  • Sui
    Free Member

Something for the car boffs this one, excuse me if you've come across this post elswhere on the www, it's a cut and paste looking for help elsewhere.. the bike carrier needs fixing or no long wales trips for me!!

Hello all,

I currently own a 96 Renault Laguna 2.0 RT 8V Auto Estate – approx 84K.

Now I’ve had a search through the many topics on common faults issues and whilst my problem fits quite well it’s by no means a perfect match and I’ll explain why;

Whilst travelling up the motorway the other day, the car was running great, it’s had some new oil (shell helix), filters (all), coil packs, sparks, HT’s and even a new water pump. It was on course for doing 100 miles more to the tank than it’s done in over 5 years (I knew the previous owner) – so I was mightily chuffed. However, in moving traffic going up a gradient the box kicked down and the service light came on (so did the airbag one strangely). Gradient eased and I picked up speed again but found that I had lost 4th gear! I pulled into a services and also noted that I’d lost 2nd and 1st. My initial thoughts were AT oil (as I can’t fathom how to change it) or an electric problem.

Stopped car, did the usual bonnet up and quick look over for anything obvious, but nothing. I still had some way to go so set off thinking I may have to take it easy.

Restarting the car I had regained 1st and 2nd, but alas as it hit 3rd gear the service light came back on and would not find 4th. This problem has now persisted. The airbag light has now gone off since I disconnected the battery, but the AT issue is still there.

My question is – is it likely to be a solenoid issue or something hideously expensive???

Many thanks,
    Sui

konabunny
    Free Member

Having had auto problems in the past, the usual advice was – change the ATF and see if that works. Don't know about Laguna specifically but on my Ford it was essentially just an oil change albeit a big grubbier because the whole pan had to come down. But not mechanically a big deal. Of course, what you would do when you drop the pan and there's a whole bunch of metal fragments…

When was the last time the ATF was changed?

Sui
    Free Member

it's a garage specifc job to do the ATF (bloody french cars!), so no idea – i can imagine probably never, says a lot really..

It's going to a freindly garage tonight, but i can see it being an arss and not worth the money to repair!

glenh
    Free Member

If it's an old sckool auto box it may just rely on fluid pressure to decide gear changes.
    Perhaps it's just low on AFT?

tron
    Free Member

It's a Renault Automatic. Renault's are famed for their spectacularly unreliable automatic gearboxes. You will struggle to find a scrapyard replacement, and a proper rebuild will be more than the car is worth.

If I were you, I'd buy a Merc, BMW or Jag auto as they manage not to blow up regularly, or a manual car.

Sui
    Free Member

not sure on that – i understand it's an AD4 – i think it works on torsion instead of belt drive – although that means **** all to me..

it's odd, it goes through 1,2,3 fine, but when it hits 3rd service light is on and then i've lost 4th, 2nd and 1st

Sui
    Free Member

the car only cost me £150 with tax so the fact it's french and an auto wasn't taken into account. I'll see what garage man says, and if it's costly it can go off to the srap yard.

starngely enough i got an insurance payout/write off the other week after a lorry thought he could squeeze through a non existent gap!

Flaperon

Low fluid level was my first guess too so it's good to see others with the same suggestion.

Have a poke around on the Honest John forum – after all, if a garage can change the oil you should be able to as well.

sharkbait
    Free Member

I had to have a the flywheel replaced on my Volvo last year and that involved removing and draining the gearbox.
    When I got it back it didn't shange into 5th as early as it used to. Garage took it back and fixed it saying that the oil was low. Hopefully this is all yours needs.

konabunny
    Free Member

it's a garage specifc job to do the ATF

Jesus Christ.

Do they change the filter or just suck it up through the dipstick tube (what's it called) with a pump?

boobs

If you are going to change the oil there may be a sump plug if you are lucky, I would drop the pan anyway and clean out/change the filter at the same time. I would also change it twice (after a run as a great deal of oil is kept in the torque converter. Our volvos used to wear auto boxes out at 100K on the button, these had 24k oil changes.

Sui
    Free Member

cheers for your suggestions, i'll know later today if it's it worth the hassle of repair or not – not sure whether i should be keeping my fingers crossed or just get rid of the fecker and get another runaround.

so – what estate / large saloon/hatch for 800 quid 🙂

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘OT: Laguna Auto box no 4th gear’ is closed to new replies.