Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • OT: Is this a scam?
  • JEngledow
    Free Member

Hi, I’ve recently put my car on Autotrader and received a message asking for the best price and if the car is still available. I replied and got the below back, is this a scam?

Thanks for your reply.Am okay with your last price.Also i just contacted my niece who works with a shipping company to make calculations of the shipment (fees,cost,tax..etc) from your location down to mumbai.
    Like wise i will want you to EDIT the ADVERT AS TO SOLD OR you remove the car from the advert page and get back me to with the word of trust assuring me that it will be be SOLD to me. Also i’ll offer you £50 extra for the car and all i needed is ur assurance that is mine. am highly eager in seeing it.
    pls don’t respond to anybody again on this car be cos i believe I am the rightful buyer IN ADVANCE.Also send more pictures if any. If this is Okay by you,I’ll need your data to make up with the payment immediately.
    FULL NAME………………..
    CONTACT ADDRESS………..
    MOBILE PHONE #…………
    LAND PHONE #………….
    Thats all i need in getting payment to you as soon as possible.Kindly reply immediately so as to prepare ahead
    Awaiting your urgent reply soonest.
    Regards,
    mohammed.

woody2000

What do you think? 🙄

molgrips
    Free Member

Of course it is.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    wwaswas

you’re on here asking – you already know the answer really…

tragically1969
    Free Member

🙄 No not a scam, just send me your bank account details and i can act as an agent for you, its all above board, honest……

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Regards,
    mohammed.

This bit gives it away. The person talks of shipping it to Mumbai, but they’re called Mohammed?

Nope. Not having that. Probbly a terrorist or sumfink. Got to be really, with a name like that.

soobalias
    Free Member

the rule of thumb is

“if you need to ask on an internet forum, you know in your heart its a scam”

apologies for not reading your post.

andrewh
    Free Member

Looks alright, not asking for bank details 😉

JEngledow
    Free Member

OK, stupid question :oops:, but what I really want to know is what can they do with my name and address? (it’s readily available in the telephone book!)

Cougar

Scam on not, he’s clearly a male hen and not someone I’d be wanting to do business with.

tragically1969
    Free Member

but what I really want to know is what can they do with my name and address? (it’s readily available in the telephone book!)

Erm, OK, what have you done ?

yesiamtom
    Free Member

tell him to **** off.

wwaswas

OP- they start asking for name and address and when they have that they’ll ask for your bank/card details ‘so we can do the transfer’.

vinnyeh

This bit gives it away. The person talks of shipping it to Mumbai, but they’re called Mohammed?

Nope. Not having that. Probbly a terrorist or sumfink. Got to be really, with a name like that.

from the office of national statistics today..

Oliver has become the most popular boys’ name in England and Wales, ending Jack’s 14-year reign….

…Mohammed was at number 16 nationally, but was the most popular boys’ name in the West Midlands, ONS said.

Thank Christ we’re in the south, eh.

leffeboy

but what I really want to know is what can they do with my name and address?

Probably nothing but the next thing they are going to do is ask you for bank details to make a transfer. Scamtastic

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Mohammed was at number 16 nationally, but was the most popular boys’ name in the West Midlands, ONS said.

So the person’s not from Mumbai, but in fact from the West Midlands???

Even dodgier…. 😯

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

I once knew a Slartybartfast from Minsk. True story.

richiethesilverfish
    Free Member

What car is it?
    Unless you’re selling a rare 1960’s Porsche in mint condition (or similar) would your ‘Scam alarm bells’ not already be ringing that he is prepared to ship it all the way to Mumbai??

If you’re still unsure why not play along? Give him your details. See what does happen. I, for one, would love to know the outcome.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I once knew a Slartybartfast from Minsk. True story.

No it’s not. You’re bloody lying you are, ADH. Or should I say, MOHAMMED FROM MUMBAI?????? 👿

Found him. He’s over here, the scamming bugger.

Cheeze. Some people will try anything. 🙄

user-removed
    Free Member

Next message will refer to a large cheque which he will send to you for a few thousand dollars more than the value of the purchase. He’ll want you to send the excess amount to his sister (who has terminal cancer) when the cheque clears. So you send off the excess $ only to find the cheque bounces retrospectively, leaving you massively out of pocket and with no car.

I think that’s how it works…..

JEngledow
    Free Member

Give him your details. See what does happen. I, for one, would love to know the outcome.

I’d be intrested too but not intrested enough to risk the contents of my bank account!! 🙄

DrRSwank
    Free Member

Pop his email address up on here – I’ll reply to him.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Damn, rumbled, again 🙁

JEngledow
    Free Member

This gets funnier, I just put the phone number from the bottom of his origional message into google and got this 😯

tragically1969
    Free Member

Setup an anonymous email address and play him at his own game:

http://www.419eater.com/

freddyg
    Free Member

I had one of those when selling a motorbike recently. Just play along, it gave me whole minutes of fun. 😀

leffeboy

I think user-removed just got it. He sends you a cheque including the shipping charges which you are then meant to send to his niece 🙁

haakon_haakonsson
    Free Member

+1 to user-removed. This is a common scam involving shipping items overseas. He sends you a cheque for more than the combined value of the car plus shipping costs. You bank the cheque, which clears, then arrange for the car to be consigned to Mumbai, and send a cheque from your account to his sister.

Then, due to some arcane mechanism within the bank clearing system, his cheque (which had cleared) bounces, leaving you out of pocket for the sum that you sent to his sister, plus you haven’t got a car any more.

It’s a scam. Save yourself any further mental energy and ignore any subsequent emails.

Good luck finding a genuine buyer for your car.

JEngledow
    Free Member

FFS!!! Are there no real buyers out there?! 🙁

I’ve just received this email from someone else:

Thanks for your reply, I am satisfied with the purchase, I’m alright with it, i am willing to make out Payment right away to you through my Associates who will issue a Certified Cashier’s Check in your name that will clear in 3-5 days,am giving a 40 pounds to keep all buyers of the car.meanwhile i also instructed him to include your money on the payment.So my client will need the following data to issued the check…

Full Legal name:
    Address:
    City:
    Postal code:
    State:
    Mobile Telephone number:

i imply that as soon as you receive my payment and and deduct your money for the car
    and then wait for further instruction to have my shipping Charges Paid to the delivery
    Company as soon as you receive the check.My Shipper will come for pick up of the
    goods on a specified date that will be convenient for you i hope i can count on you for my
    balance I ALSO WANT THIS TO BASE ON TRUST CAN I TRUST YOU?… Hope i can
    trust you with my shipping company charges. Please acknowledge this email I have sent
    you and await my payment.so await my payment between next week ok.

Please kindly get the advert out of the web and consider it sold. so I will be waiting to
    hear from you.

Then, due to some arcane mechanism within the bank clearing system, his cheque (which had cleared) bounces,

Open a new bank account.
    Pay the cheque in.
    Withdraw the money.
    Close the account.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘OT: Is this a scam?’ is closed to new replies.