Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • OT iPhone 3GS – replacement battery?
  • rkk01
    Free Member

The 3GS is getting a little tempermental…

Has been droipping out at about 50% charge, but this week has been switching off with as much as 70-90% battery showing.

can the battery be replaced? or is it time for a new phone?

Slogo
    Free Member

Get a new phone! I’ve just bought a new one after the microphone went crazy on my 3GS.

rkk01
    Free Member

Much prefer the shape of the 3…

Might be persuaded to go for a 4GS / 5 depending on contract prices – but my preference would be to fix the 3

kevster
    Free Member

I do agree that the 3, to me, feels better in the hand than the latter models. I have a 3GS and it keeps cutting out at around 20% battery, very annoying. The LCD unit has a problem and I’ve bought a replacement and plan to replace it myself (didnt get time last night!). I plan to keep it on my sim only deal for as long as I can then upgrade to iphone 5 (or android equivalent – dependant on prices).

higthepig
    Free Member

Replaced the battery in mine with one bought from e-bay, wasn’t very much and also included the tools to pull the phone apart etc. Took about 20-25 minutes to do whilst watching a tutorial I found on YouTube. Bit fiddly but no parts left over at the end and works fine now.

sharkbait
    Free Member

^ Exactly what higthepig said. Not difficult but my old eyes didn’t help! Cost about £7.

Eggbox
    Free Member

OR £120 for another 3GS from Apple as an out of warranty replacement. I took this option and I was not even the original owner.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=3gs+battery+replacement&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-gb&client=safari

Spend 15-20 quid on a new battery or local phone repair shop will do it for a tenner.

Now you have £100 to spend on bikey bits!

kevster
    Free Member

eggbox – did you just go into the store?

kevster
    Free Member

Also, anyone recommend a battery for the 3GS off ebay?

Eggbox
    Free Member

Kevster, I booked a slot with one of the techies in the shop

manoirdelourde
    Free Member

“OR £120 for another 3GS from Apple as an out of warranty replacement. I took this option and I was not even the original owner.”

Did this too after I dropped my 4. Booked a slot at the Genius bar on-line, turned up, 20 minutes later walked out with a new phone.

AlasdairMc

The battery replacement is easy if you just take your time and remember what order you’ve taken the bits out.

I might still have a spare and unused 3GS battery in the house – drop me a mail if you want it and I’ll take a look.

kevster
    Free Member

Will a new battery definitely solve the cutting out issues?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘OT iPhone 3GS – replacement battery?’ is closed to new replies.