Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • OT – Guitar Question – Fender Strat fretboard chipping…..
  • roadiesean
    Free Member

I have a 99 US Standard Strat that has been lightly played over time, but recently the fretboard varnish (matt) has started flaking and chipping off where the board meets the frets. Clearly what has happened is Fender sprayed the fretboard after the frets were in place and after time the varnish has got brittle and just chipped off. It is only at the top and bottom of the board looking down on it and mainly at the body end.

I've taken it to my local store where they said it would need to be stripped, have the frets removed, revarnished and refretted. That sounds expensive, especially as it doesn't affect the playing at all. It is just annoying and disappointing that such a beautiful instrument can go this way.

Now I know that when fretboards are scalloped, they aren't necessarily revarnished. Would I be okay to strip the varnish just off the board (I have a lot of woodwork experience and would not damage the board) and leave it natural or would this just not work and I'd end up with a twisty bendy heap of junk ? Or I could strip the whole neck and play it "raw"

Whats the consensus viewpoint amongst you experts ? I am completely stuck with what to do ? Any thoughts would be brilliant !

flip
    Free Member

Strip the varnish for that Rory Gallagher look, it shouldn't affect the guitar*, though it may affect the way your fingers feel on the fretboard.

*i'm no expert

aslongasithaswheels
    Free Member

Play it more varnish will start to rub off and you'll get that "me and my guitar have seen a few things" look

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jond
    Free Member

Hmm…I'd try a few different workshops and see what they say – can't why it's not possible to just spot in the missing lacquer – equally, if you're thinking of stripping the finish, do you need to worry about odd chips ?

Pretty sure all maple necks are laquered *after* fretting, not before. Certainly a refret job requires the lacquer to be stripped to be done properly.

>need to be stripped, have the frets removed
    Might be how you've written it, sounds the wrong way round to me – stripping it ought to be easier once the frets are off (otherwise they're doing the job you wanted done, first, anyway)

I guess with a scalloped neck there's not much finger<>fretboard contact. I guess there's a couple of reasons they're lacquered is – mebbe gives it a harder finish, maple's gona pick up marks and stains unlike rosewood (or at least, you'll see 'em) And you'd use (lemon) oil on a rose wood neck to stop it drying out. Dunno if neck stability is affected at all – might make it more vulnerable to short-term changes in humidity.

Might be worth mentioning to Fender UK to see what they say – I guess it's out of warranty but they may have a view..

roadiesean
    Free Member

Thanks guys, I reckon I'll just have to play it more and get it all to chip off, it'll look well loved by then. Like a bike isn't it ? The first chip is always the worst !!!

Lifer
    Free Member

The only problem with taking the varnish off maple is that you'll get discolouration overtime as the board absorbs grime from your fingers. If you do strip it DO NOT use products like Dunlop's lemon oil as this will make the discolouration worse.

IMO go for the natural look, ie play it and let the varnish come off as it wants.

jond
    Free Member

>DO NOT use products like Dunlop's lemon oil

I agree, I wasn't advocating it 😉

jond
    Free Member

BTW – this lot specify 'relacquer fretboard' as a specific job, so mebbe it's do-able
    http://www.gtr-nelson.com/repair.htm

Not very helpful, but interesting :
    http://maestrorepairs.blogspot.com/

Some luthier recommendations here:
    http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=26654&st=0

roadiesean
    Free Member

Awesome, thanks for the advice and helpful links everyone. 😀

lodious
    Free Member

If it were me, i'd forget about it until you wear the frets out, then look at options (either refret w/refinish or buy a Warmouth neck).

plumber
    Free Member

I take some fine sand paper to my guitar necks from time to time, just cup in hand and rub up and down neck a time or two.

Gets rid of any chips, bumps and leaves a matt gloss finish which is nice to play.

Probably do this once/twice a year.

Plum

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘OT – Guitar Question – Fender Strat fretboard chipping…..’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts