Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • OT – Guitar amp… keep me out of trouble
  • rkk01
    Free Member

Please tell me that this is a bad idea.

Over-priced, 1 watt, marketing hype.

My £80 Fender Mustang has “British 1980s” emulation on it, so I can get an approximation of the 80s Marshall sound anyway…

… can’t I???

Would very much like one of these. Don’t need, but do want.

Trouble at home (and high £ cost) are obvious downsides 🙁

Anyone had a fiddle, heard these in action?

Brake-neck
    Free Member

Are these not £500+ ? Thats alot of cash for a practice amp, I’m assuming you have other amps for gigging, you’d get a full on 800 head second hand for £150 more!!!

lodious
    Free Member

TBH, I hated JCM800’s first time round, why would anyone want an overpriced , underpowered copy? 🙂 (ducks for cover)

veedubba

£600?!?!?!?

Why not get a Blackheart, or Blackstar or a Laney or any one of the umpteen <5W tube amps that are knocking about these days?

Laney amps are hugely underrated IMO, and since the market’s so competitive you could easily find yourself a new amp that does what the JCM800 does for half the price, or less if you went 2nd hand.

Depends if you have to have the Marshall and JCM badges on it I suppose.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

What you really need is one of these

_tom_
    Free Member

I’d go for a Blackstar or something. Cheaper and sound pretty good. I had a HT5 head and it was pretty good but not really usable as a single channel amp (I don’t like having seperate channels, prefer to clean up my sound with guitar volume). 5w valve is still really loud though!

Or how about a Zvex Nano? Expensive but they sound great!

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7U9ylAeSvDY[/video]

plumber
    Free Member

I have the JTM1 the first of this 50th anniversary series. It is fantastic and by no means a toy. 1 watt is much louder than you think, Certianly the low power rating is quite loud for a bedroom. 1 Watt on 11 sounds MARSHALLTASTIC though

I’m also go to look seriously at the next one out as it comes with an FX loop and 12″ speaker

Brake-neck
    Free Member

Fair enough Plumber but loud enough for what? What do you use yours for, practice in the house, surely you can’t gig with it, do you just have it for that flat out marshall sound at bedroom levels?

_tom_
    Free Member

You could gig with one if you have an sm57 and a half decent PA 🙂

CaptainSlow

I had the JCM1 on pre-order but decided to cancel it. All the demos I’ve heard before and after release are good so if that’s the Marshall you want, go for it. Yes it’s expensive and there are cheaper options but they’re not the same.

I’ve now got the DSL1 on pre-order……I wanted more gain than the JCM has and the fx n clean channel

I think it’s probably not needed but I’m curious. I’ve a JVM at the moment and was thinking the DSL1 would be better for home use but the JVM has an excellent MV so its probably not “needed”. I think the only real advantage of the DSL will be re-valve cost and footprint. I’m not convinved it will sound better at low volume. Maybe the real advantage will be the ability to open it up without (as much) risk of hearing damage.

If you do get one pls post some clips. Enjoyed plums JTM footage.

rkk01
    Free Member

Had a chat in the guitar shop today. Seems like they will be around all year. – rather than being a strict ltd edition. So might be able to compare a few side by side in a few months

plumber
    Free Member

Brake

I’m still unsure exactly what this amp is for. Bit loud to crank for a bedroom amp. Not loud enough for a band rehearsal reall

However it sounds fantastic and in a studio would probably shine

Plum

rkk01
    Free Member

Haven’t taken the plunge, but have been looking some more…

The DSL1 does look more versatile….

… but then the DSL40C looks even more versatile, and is cheaper

Anyone tried the DSL 40 / 15 or 50th Anniversary DSL1???

rkk01
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-KIry4fFmg[/video]

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘OT – Guitar amp… keep me out of trouble’ is closed to new replies.