Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • OT: graphic designers professional indemnity insurance and policy bee
  • grueller
    Free Member

Looking at getting PI insurance and have found a reasonable one on Policy bee with Hiscox.
    Anyone got any experience of these or any other recommendations. Self-employed, just me, working from home, started in Jan.
    Cheers

greenace
    Free Member

hope this doesn’t break any rules…

i think they’re great but then i would say that because i work for them 😉

if you’re still looking, drop them a line and mention my name (nick green) for a cheeky discount.

chakaping
    Free Member

I have a hiscox policy for journalism, not had to use it thankfully – but the price is good and they seem well-regarded.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Greenace,would they also do PI thats suitable for a one man band CAD person doing small architectural projects like extensions etc?

greenace
    Free Member

@rockhopper

yep, no problem.

CAD designers aren’t available online (yet) so it’ll be a phone call to the office.

Not sure if I’m allowed to put a number up on here so I’ll just say Google PolicyBee instead!

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Cheers, I’ll do that 🙂

mrflaky
    Free Member

Just a thought, Now working for a big agency, but prior to that was an owner of a small design shop, and we took some advice on PI insurance and was basically told (by our lawyer) that you can cover alot of eventualities with proper paper work signed by the client and terms and conditions.

We ended up going this route and had various acceptance forms signed by clients at project stages, plus if anyone actually bothered to read or T&C’s they would never have worked with us as we were not responsible for anything 🙂

As I said just a thought, rules might have changed and the cost of PI might have come down, I might still have copies of our disclaimers somewhere if you wanted a look

greenace
    Free Member

@mrflaky

don’t want this to turn into a debate about the merits of PI or otherwise but…

Ts & Cs are essential and we always recommend any business large or small have them. BUT all the Ts & Cs in the world won’t, and can’t, stop a client suing you or your business if they’ve suffered a loss and they deem it’s your fault.

regardless of whether it actually is your fault or not, you need to defend yourself. that means solicitors fees, time away from your business and potentially the cost of compensation if courts find you liable. PI insurance picks up the tab for all these costs and fights your corner too.

premiums now are so low, it’ll cost you far more to ask that same lawyer for a few hours help than it would be just to but a policy…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘OT: graphic designers professional indemnity insurance and policy bee’ is closed to new replies.