Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • OT – giving new oak furniture a distressed look.
  • tymbian
    Free Member

Is it possible to give the ‘distressed’ look to new oak furniture?

I’m thinking that if it’s going to work, of putting the colour on with a scraper or brush then sanding. Has anyone done this? I can imagine the furniture will have a wax finish from the factory that will need sanding off or using a solvent/ spirit based product to remove the wax and at the same time opening the pores/ grain allowing the wood to take the colour..

kayak23

They used to hit it with chains where I used to work… 😀

Yeah, it’s dependent on the surface finish really. Distressed how?
    Dents and dings or you mean paint that’s partially removed?

spursn17
    Free Member

Tell it you’re buying bike parts/new bike, works well on my missus.

tymbian
    Free Member

Kayak..paint that looks worn/ well used.

theflatboy
    Free Member

Edit – crap joke and beaten to it by an hour as well 😳

kayak23

There are some quite good guides knocking about, and also some products that may help.

You may want to knock back the finish that’s been applied already so as you can break though.

Not ever done it myself mind…

Gunz
    Free Member

Chalk paint is the way ahead. It can be painted over anything (wax included) and rubs of in a graduated fashion to reveal the grain.
    Alternatively, come to the realisation that shabby chic is the last-year work of the devil and leave well alone.

CountZero

All old oak furniture was new at one time, it’s the passage of time and human usage that gives the timber its patina.
    I’ve watched enough antiques programmes to know that what experts look for is the dirt and wear caused by handling and touch over the years.
    Personally, I love the idea of new wood developing its own character and personality through age and use, but maybe that’s just me.

lesgrandepotato

I’d try wire wool however a toddler will probably make a better job of it. I can rent you one for a reasonable sum.

tymbian
    Free Member

Countzero…I agree with you but a client of mine is trying to match 2 new pieces of furniture with an existing piece ( distressed ) as she can’t find distressed furniture to match.

molgrips
    Free Member

Has anyone done this?

I’ve seen it done a lot, and it almost always looks stupid. Don’t whatever you do attack it with sandpaper – it’ll look like someone’s attacked it with sandpaper.

To accurately replicate age would take a large amount of skill and care I reckon. I reckon the best bed would be something like sandblasting? I am not a furniture maker though!

client of mine is trying to match 2 new pieces of furniture with an existing piece

Repaint the old one 🙂

tymbian
    Free Member

Repainting the old one is not an option as that’s the one she likes but unfortunately it doesn’t come as a set.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘OT – giving new oak furniture a distressed look.’ is closed to new replies.