Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • OT – File Transfer Speeds
  • bentandbroken

Trying to check a document for someone and need to verify some file transfer times over 10/100 switches and Gigabit Switches. I am using this Web Utility, but it is giving me different figures to the document I am proof reading so I am not sure if it is accurate

Can anyone let me know if it is accurate or give me a link to a known reliable utility?

TIA

julians
    Free Member

its accurate, but by default it only gives you theoretical max speeds, in the real world your actual speed will be lower depending on various factors, so your times taken to send will be higher

bentandbroken

Cheers! 😀

EDIT – I was aware of the theoretical element to the speeds, but the whole document is based on theoretical maximums anyway…

Russell96

Don’t fall into the trap of Bits n Bytes, LAN/Comms speeds are in Bits per Second (bps) and file sizes are expressed in Bytes. Then as julians states there’s theoretical and real world to consider. Quick mental calc is use divide the speed of the link (in bits per second) by ten which will give you an idea if the figures look in the ball park. So a 100Mbps (or M/bits) link /10 gives you a thoughput of about 10Mbytes per second.

aracer
    Free Member

It’s giving the correct numbers if you want theoretical maximum – though as mentioned above there is overhead even if all works perfectly, so the theoretical maximum is actually an unobtainable figure.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘OT – File Transfer Speeds’ is closed to new replies.