Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • OT: Electric fan oven fault
  • bristolbiker
    Free Member

Have a Smeg A42-5 dual fuel cooker – a few days ago, half way through cooking something, the (electric) oven stopped working. Fan still works, and I while it was cooling down I could still hear the thermostat clicking on/off as I moved the switch from low to high temp, but the indicator light wasn’t on and obv no heat from the element. Everything else on the cooker works, just no heat in the main oven, and it didn’t trip the consumer unit.

Have taken the element out and it is registering ~18ohms resistance ,which is a touch low (should be ~22ohm), but is not open-circuit. My next port-of-call is the main oven selector switch, but this is a bit more involved to get to than the element – any further thoughts before I rip the thing apart?

Ta. BB.

funkynick

If you have a multimeter, plug the element back in and measure the voltage across the element connectors with the switch in various. This will at least tell you if the switch is working properly.

Also, any chance of getting to the thermastat to measure voltage across that? Or measure the resistance? If you can get it out you can try setting the temp low and dropping it into boiling water to see if it opens correctly.

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Nick – good idea RE: voltage check to the element with the switch on.

Thinking about it a bit more, I think it might be the thermostat – the red ‘heating’ light doesn’t come on for the main oven which may suggest it doesn’t think there is any demand for heat. Could check this by manually closing the thermostat circuit at the switch…. If it’s the stat, or the switch, either way, looks like I need to take it apart. Ar$e

Pete
    Free Member

Check the door switch, element/heating is usually switched off when door opens, the switch might have failed.

Cougar

Is it not fused?

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Check the door switch, element/heating is usually switched off when door opens, the switch might have failed

Will check this, but don’t think it has one.

Is it not fused?

Googling the problem last night suggests no internal fusing

Think I’m going to get a man in – parts are relatively expensive to just have a go and taking it apart will be a faff for me in the confined space of our kitchen, but probably an easy job for someone who knows what they are doing.

Forge_Master
    Free Member

I too have a Smeg dual fuel cooker and over the last four years i’ve replaced the element three times.

Elements failing seems to be a common fault with Smegs, in fact i actually keep a spare at home!

Try these for spares.

richmtb

Changing elements is an easy job, and you will save a fair few quid if you buy the part and fix it yourself.

There is probably even a video on You-Tube showing you how to change the element in your oven, I know there was for mine

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Defo not the element – it is not open circuit/there is 18ohms resistance (about right), and I’ve just done as funkynick suggested and checked the voltage to the element when it’s switched on…. and there isn’t any. The main oven grill element is on the same switch and this doesn’t work either, so I am leaning towards the switch being the problem.

Switch is about £50 and have just phoned a Smeg approved local chap who’s call out is £40 plus parts which seems a good deal, given he’ll know the best way into it and I would be learning all the way!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘OT: Electric fan oven fault’ is closed to new replies.