Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • OT: Double glazing units – can you buy just the unit and not the frame?
  • Zedsdead
    Free Member

One of our windows has failed and moisture is trapped inside the unit. Rather than replace the whole window I thought I may be able to just buy the sealed glass unit? Is this possible? Or is that a trade only thing?

I’m also looking for new seals for old aluminium frames as the old seals (Between glass and frame) have shrunk leaving me with gaps at pretty much every corner.
    Replacing the windows in the house isn’t an option just now so I’m hoping I can get new seals and install myself… Winter is coming so better sort this now…

Thanks

markrh
    Free Member

Yes it is, we cracked one of ours and had the glass unit replaced, didn’t cost that much either.

siwhite
    Free Member

Easy. Go to a local company, not some massive chain who will rip you off.

They will need the thickness of the panel as well and height and width – easiest to pop the old panel out to measure it. Loads of youtube videos, which will make you realise how insecure your house is (unless the beading is on the inside of the house…!)

nickjb
    Free Member

If you want to go one step further you can get you current glass panes rebuilt into a new double glazed unit for reinstalling.

Not sure about the seals but you can get window sealant in a tube, similar to mastic.

stumpyjon

Replacement sealed unit, fairly easy, replacement gasket for an old aluminium system, good luck, you’ll need to know which manufacturer made the aluminium extrusion.

Edit, popping a pane out may not be that easy if its secured with the correct doubled side foam tape. Plus aluminium beads are not that easy compared to uPVC. Get a replacement pane company in, it’s not as straight forward as you’d think.

mick_r

New glazed units are easy and cheap – just go to a local glass supplier rather than a DG company. There are a number of good online websites to get an idea of prices (or just buy mail order direct).

Check the height of the window – if within a certain distance of floor then it is supposed to be toughened glass.

There are places on ebay etc that sell seal profiles – think some sold packs of seal samples for a nominal price so you could try and match to your frame.

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

Look in the local ad mags there’s usually a couple of local window guys offering what you need doing. It doesn’t usually work out much more them fitting it than doing it yourself.

boblo
    Free Member

I’ve just done this. 5 x k glass (or whatever it’s called now) argon filled units for less than £200. Easy to fit too.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

many thanks everyone.
    I’m just outside Glasgow so it should be easy to find a supplier.
    STW is waaaaaaaay better than Google lol

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘OT: Double glazing units – can you buy just the unit and not the frame?’ is closed to new replies.