Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • OT decking…
  • brack
    Free Member

I plan on putting some decking in the garden…

I’m not keen on the look of typical decking, preferring the more rustic look.

Are there any other wood alternatives that are affordable, hardwood is superb but is v expensive.

brack
    Free Member

Op at 3 am on a night shift so a pre bed ..

Bump

mos

You could try cedar. Planed up stuff would be £5-6 a meter though. Maybe rough sawn cedar would be a bit cheaper?

br
    Free Member

Its really irrelevent the type of wood you use, its the stain you’re looking at – and all wood/stain changes once laid.

slackalice
    Free Member

Western Red Cedar was my first thought too. Go for rough sawn and you will not want to be staining it, just let it weather naturally and it will ‘silver’ in hue. Due to its natural fibres and oil, it will resist mildew and mould and retain a grippy surface.

It can be expensive, although there was a relatively cheap supply of it in Hampshire a while ago and if you’re around there, let me know and I can try and put you in touch.

Alternatively, larch? Again, you won’t need to stain so it also will turn silver / grey over a year or so although you may need to keep an eye on slippyness every so often.

brack
    Free Member

I’m in West Sussex so Hampshire could be totally doable.

I know this is pretty out there but Ive seen old floorboards used as decking out in NZ…

An option or would they just warp?

NZCol

Depends what the floors are made of. We have a holiday house with the deck made from hardwood floorboards – has been there for about 25 years with no maintainence and is fine. Its Rimu though.

brack
    Free Member

Hi Col yeah and there is probably the reason why you kiwis can use floorboards externally…

You guys have HARD wood !!

Hmmm prob not a good idea with our nambi pambi wood.

NZCol

I’m burning 4×2 Rimu studs from a house renovation. One of them about 6″ long in the log burner and I am in my pants across the other side of the room its so hot.

slackalice
    Free Member

Hi brack

No probs, how much do you need and I’ll see what’s available.

Old floorboards would work, although they wont resist damp and wet too well. So long as you lay them correctly (heart out) and fasten them appropriately, they will stay stable.

brack
    Free Member

SA just had a look at some of your posts mate…

You really are a good bloke! You’ve helped a lot of people with your advice, and regardless of whether or not you put me in touch with a supplier… I stand up n doff my cap to you !

The area is 10ft wide by 20ft long … With planks running along the length

slackalice
    Free Member

No fear brack, I’ll put you in touch with the supplier. I’ve just got to track them down first!

I’ll be back….

Thank you very much for your kind words, bless you.

slackalice
    Free Member

Hi brack, yep, there’s a good supply of Western Red Cedar, Larch and Douglas Fir at very reasonable prices of £11 per cubic foot + vat. I’m told that the Douglas fir is a little resinous and sticky, so might not be entirely suitable for you. Your choice on that one.

My rough estimate worked out that you’ll be needing approx 20 cubic feet based on 6″ x 1″ boards at 12ft long.

If that kinda budget is within your means, then please pm me and I’ll mail you the suppliers contact details and you can deal direct with them. Unless of course it’s deemed ok for me to put their details on here? They are based in Milland, so it might be that they are not too far away from you?

Hope that helps

footflaps

Stick their details up on here, always useful to know good suppliers!

slackalice
    Free Member

Okey dokey!

Doug & Wink Northway
    01730 890263 (evenings)
    07960 462052

Their yard is in Milland and if you do call them , please mention that Tim put you in touch – appreciated 🙂

brack
    Free Member

Thanks SA

That sounds perfect ! And just up the road.

In your learned experience what is the best method of constructing this ?

It’s going on to compact soil .. A frame supported on pads?

slackalice
    Free Member

Sounds about right, I’ve used paving slabs before, set onto a dry mix of sand and a bit of cement. Ive then laid the deck beams onto the slabs, using spacers or fillets to fine tune the level/fall. Whether that’s correct or not, I don’t know, however, that deck is still there and doesn’t rock or twist some 6 years on!

If you go to collect your deck boards from Doug and Wink, they also have masses of off-cuts of varying lengths and sizes. I will often go through that pile for stuff suitable for deck beams and they’ll readily do a cash deal on those bits.

I like rustic and a rustic deck sounds like a fun project. Enjoy! 😀

hammyuk
    Free Member

Go to Covers – they have a range of composite boards, etc in all sorts if finishes including a lovely “Driftwood”

brack
    Free Member

Mainly aimed at slackalice but anyone can chip in

An update ..

Well as luck would have it I stumbled across an old barn that was being ripped apart. The flooring boards (pine) were going to be burnt so a quick trip with the van and they came home.

The frame is sorted and all the boards are cut to size.

What gap should I leave between the boards considering they have been dry for most of their life, oh and any recommends for a good clear preservative?

slackalice
    Free Member

Sounds like a result brack! 8)

I’d go for a 8 – 10mm gap, just in case some of the boards want to swell once they get wet.

As for wood preserver, this stuff is excellent, not particularly low odour when applying, however after a couple of days it will have soaked in and leave the timber looking unfinished and natural

Sovereign wood preserver

brack
    Free Member

Slackalice and all the other people who replied/PM’d me … all done

Cheers

trail_rat
    Free Member

I like that brack , let us know how it holds up. I hate the decking you buy in shops

matthewjb
    Free Member

I really like the wall behind.

Is it just some slats painted a variety of colours?

properbikeco
    Free Member

If you can stand the smell I’d go creosote on that, v likely the timbers are untreated

slackalice
    Free Member

Nice job brack 😀

I’m really not convinced on the creosote suggestion! It smells, it stains and will leave everything that comes into contact with it, black!

Go for the Sovereign, they sell it in smaller quantities and it is wayyyyy cheaper than the equivalent Cuprinol 5-star stuff. Water repellent too.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Can you still get creasote ?

properbikeco
    Free Member

Modern creosote will not do those

it will smell a bit which is true, will stain the wood a nice golden grey but won’t come off on your clothes, it also doesn’t turn stuff black

I think many of these myths are around because many people mix it up with used engine oil

a farm supplier will get you the real stuff which is surprisingly good as I found out

slackalice
    Free Member

Yep. The farm where my workshop is has just covered all their external wood on their barns and outbuildings with the stuff…. including my workshop door. It permeates everything. Hopefully it will fade over the next few weeks.

brack
    Free Member

SA yep already put down a coat of that Sovereign preserver.

The battens are just painted with an outdoor paint stain.

Total cost of the project, incl hideaway hut/ fence/ decking…

Wood screws – £10
    Preserver – 2 x 5 litre tins on offer at £40
    Couple of bags of post mix – £10

Total £60

All the wood was barn finds ( Goodwood nonetheless) or building site left overs.
    Stain was free tester pots

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘OT decking…’ is closed to new replies.