Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • OT Classic walk to see the real lake district
  • Maltloaf

I’m off walking with my dad for a day in the lakes in a few weeks. I’ve done a little walking in the lakes, but he has done none. Can anybody reckomend a classic day in the hills. We both reasonably fit and 8hrs or so would work well.

thanks

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Could try one of those Wainwright books, there’ll be some gooduns in there no doubt.

Theres alot of hills, which area are you based in?

cpon
    Free Member

Striding Edge/Helvellyn from Glenridding Ullswater.

There are a couple of shops, pubs and plenty of parking at Glenridding.

9 miles of the most fantastic scenery, and you won’t be bothered by those pesky bicyclists.

[/url]

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Yeh striding edge is a nice walk, you can even drive half way up the hill and park at the YHA if you cant be arsed walking.

I think theres better walks though, helvellyn always seems really busy. Had to wait on striding edge for about 20minutes once cos half the xc rambling mincers were too scared to climb it hwen it was a bit windy.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Any walks I’ve done from Boot, go camping there May bank holiday, are always pretty quiet.

fubar
    Free Member

Striding Edge/Helvellyn from Glenridding Ullswater.

This (Above), or Coniston Old Man or , The Fairfield Horseshoe, or or….

catfood
    Free Member

Langdale is very good but gets very busy at the weekend. One of my favourite walks in the lakes goes from there. Take the path near the new Dungeon Gill up to Stickle Tarn and walk up to the right round the back of Pavey Ark, then across to the Langdale Pikes or Harrison Stickle and back down to the Old Dungeon Gill for some pie and ale.

Coniston Old Man is also a good walk and heres some lovely walking from Honister pass over to Haystacks or Great Gable for a bigger day out.

freeridenick
    Free Member

Mosedale Horseshoe.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Fairfield or Coniston. Both decent routes for a novice, while nice enough for a more experienced hill walker.

Cougar

What Catfood said.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

If you’re prepared to make the journey, then Wasdale has some challenging walking. Yewbarrow, Pillar (Robinson’s cairn path), Great Gable by Napes Needle traverse path, Corridor route and lords rake, Scarfell, Scarefell Pike and Great End.

boxelder

Buttermere – Up red pike, along over high stile and haystacks, back along lake shore – Bridge Hotel.
    Way quieter than other suggestions

cuckoo
    Free Member

Scafell Pike from Borrowdale

footflaps

Langdale Horseshoe or Wasdale Horseshoe – both fantastic days out.

Wasdale is better, but a pain to get to.

GaVgAs
    Free Member

Buttermere – Up red pike, along over high stile and haystacks, back along lake shore – Bridge Hotel.

As boxelder says,the autumn colours are stunning around that area as well,great place. 😉

el_boufador

Lovely walk, that. Sort of mainly a shame I took my bike with me (it was one of ‘those’ lakes ‘rides’)

el_boufador

PS Buttermere is my favourite lakes area scenery-wise. Wainwright is correct – Haystacks is great

Bunnyhop

We’ve walked the Kentmere horseshoe a few times. Up Nan bield, along the edge of High Street and back down the Garbun pass.

You get some nice views of Windermere up there.

TubsRacing
    Free Member

Old Man of Coniston is best if you come back via Dow Crag

Maltloaf

Thanks for all the advice. I’ll dig out the map this weekend and do a bit of planning.

easygirl

kentmere horseshoe is great, then a pint and some food in the eagle and chils in staveley
    the views on the walk are fantastic

easygirl

ive got a gpx file for it somewhere

djglover
    Free Member

Bow Fell & Crinkle Crags

Bunnyhop

easygirl – do you mean the ‘Eagle and Child’? All you men think about is beer 😉

easygirl

eagle and child, yes
    great pub

Spongebob
    Free Member

On top of all of these, Blencathra to the North of Keswich. This is another a quieter area and you can incorporate scrambling up Sharp Edge. It’s a little bit like Helvelyn’s Striding Edge. After you scale either of these, it’s somewhat flat on top, but views are Awesome. I’d avoid coming down Sharp Edge, especially in the wet.

Scafell is not going to be quiet. Everyone want to do this.

The Ennerdale horseshoe would be quiet, but you’d need a bit more time.

Langdale is a good, but again, very busy because it’s affords easy access to the highest peaks in the centre of the Lakes.

I haven’t done Conniston, but this is next on my list and looks a bit more off the beaten track.

If you want to get away from the crowds alltogether, try the Howgills instead.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘OT Classic walk to see the real lake district’ is closed to new replies.