Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • OT: can you actually walk around Chatsworth park and still see the house like?
  • RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Morning

OK I don't normally post questions about w**king although I have been known to indulge in the odd hill w**k or two..

.. so Chatsworth House gardens etc are closed this time of year but I need to plan a nice walk around the park, although preferably where we can see the house at some point or other.

Anyone got an ideas?

Anyone also know if you can get a bus from Bakewell to Chatsworth?

ta very much

the-muffin-man

Yes you can walk all around the parkland and right up to the house if you wish. Only the formal gardens at the rear of the house are closed off.

Can't help with buses but I'd be amazed if there wasn't one!

snakebite
    Free Member

the house is closed until mid March isn't it, re-decorating etc….?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    the-muffin-man

You're right snakebike it is – I just assumed he just wanted to see the house, not go around it.

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

cheers chaps

Right, I just need to plan a walk that isn't too far.. the Mrs isn't really that keen on any distance!

I know this "walk" sounds a bit abstract but there's a reason for wanting to get her out there see.. …

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Can anyone suggest any routes across the park at all? It's mahoosive isn't it?

finbar
    Free Member

It's very open, so you can see the paths – probably doesn't need much planning. Maybe aim to finish at the tea room in Edensor.

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

ah OK, cool. cheers.

I need to find a map I guess and have a rough idea. tbh without knowing where the buses (if any) stop, it could be tricky..

BigDummy
    Free Member

there's a reason for wanting to get her out there see..

You're going to propose? This is a terrible, terrible idea. Generally, she does not compare you with Colin Firth or Matthew Macfayden, she just accepts that she is playing the hand that she was dealt. But deliberately taking her to the very epicentre of unrealistic costume-drama-based female romantic longing just invites those comparisons to be made. They will destroy your happiness. HTH. 🙂

the-muffin-man

Here you go Ropey, bus info…

http://www.visitpeakdistrict.com/information/peak-connection-guides.aspx

The shortest way over to the house is via the bridge at Queen Mary's Bower…

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=425733&Y=370184&A=Y&Z=120

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

This is a terrible, terrible idea

1. I couldn't possibly comment

2. no really, she likes it a lot there…. went there loads as a kid .. there are no links to Pride and Prejudice I assure you!!

3. I was thinking of a secluded spot a bit away from the house

😀

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

cheers the-muffin-man!

the-muffin-man

Its probably best to check with the appropriate bus companies whether those time-tables have change for 2010.

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

ah yes, good point.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘OT: can you actually walk around Chatsworth park and still see the house like?’ is closed to new replies.