Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • OT: calling joiners. Stairparts……
  • trail_rat
    Free Member

this weekend sees the removal of my brick/plaster stair bannister with a big spinny disk. – stupid thing i hate it – its only about 6 foot long but it makes my stairs seem like a corridor and blocks the light from my hall window into the hall.

I am going to replace it with white oak stop chamfer newels and spindles + handrail.

ive got prices ranging from 300 – 600 quid from various places for the parts.

has anyone used any of these internet places such as “blueprint joinery” to supply the woodwork as they are all nearer the 300 quid area.

I do have access to accounts (but its a hassle) at the likes of TP/Howdens if they are going to be any cheaper OR better quality.

tiggs121
    Free Member

Even £300 seems expensive for 2 newels and 10 spindles plus a handrail?

Make your own?

trail_rat
    Free Member

2 newels – 12 spindles (6 foots only a rough estimate i did do a real measurement and calc i just dont have it to hand , just know its 12 i need for 100mm centres) ,2.4m base plate , a 4.2 metre hand rail (the handrail continues up the whole staircase – the upper part forms my bedroom wall though so cant be removed.

as for making my own , i dont have ANY of the equipment/skills required, my grandad does but hes A. 100 miles away and B. Ill 🙁

trail_rat
    Free Member

Poke it went with stained( well it will be) red wood at howdens in the end for 175 quid.

Its just a house. – ill spend the difference on bikes 🙂 near enough finish the job. Wll get a ride in the morn afterall 🙂

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘OT: calling joiners. Stairparts……’ is closed to new replies.