Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • OT: brake lights not working but brake 'strip' is fine
  • Pook

I have a 54 focus. Today my mate noticed that the brakes bulbs weren’t lighting up, but the strip over the top of the rear windscreen (also a brake light) was.

What could the problem be? Both bulbs are fine.

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

do the other lights work?

try changing the bulb, it may look fine but it is busted.

butcher

I’d check the fuses…anything else not working?

Pook

everything else seems fine. I’ll have a look in about 25 mins.

csb

Check you’ve got the right sort of bulb in. My sister put a single element (rather than double element) bulb in her Fiesta and it messed the lighting combinations up.

john_drummer
    Free Member

swap both bulbs and the fuse. might cost you a fiver. should work

coffeeking
    Free Member

Stop with the backstreet garage-esque replace stuff till it works approach! Have they ever worked? Have you got a multi-meter you can test for voltage (hell, you could use your tongue it just stings a bit)?

Figure out if you’re getting power to the brake light connections first, then go from there.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Stop with the backstreet garage-esque replace stuff till it works approach! Have they ever worked? Have you got a multi-meter you can test for voltage (hell, you could use your tongue it just stings a bit)?
    Figure out if you’re getting power to the brake light connections first, then go from there.

Why let good old methodical fault finding get in the way?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Q for the OP – how often do you check your lights? My guess is never.

Bimbler
    Free Member

This happened in my old focus, turned out to be two simultaneously blown bulbs. Replaced them and still working 4 years later

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

A cheap multimeter is useful for this sort of thing too, i have one of these which is ok for simple low voltage measuring
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Digital-Multimeter-Tester-Multi-Meter-MultiTester/dp/B004HSSJXG/

Neil_Bolton
    Free Member

How random.

Went riding with some mates at the weekend, and one of the chaps had a new ish Mondeo with exactly the same issue!

I’ll point him this way.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘OT: brake lights not working but brake 'strip' is fine’ is closed to new replies.