Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • OT Beagles
  • owenfackrell
    Free Member

What can the dog owners/lovers tell me about beagles and what they are like to own.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

My sister had one, and whilst I dearly love all animals including dogs, I couldn't stand the creature. It was unbelievably stupid, with neither any personalty nor, any redeeming qualities. One day it simply went missing – the daft mutt. A while later my sister got a boarder collie which was a lovely dog and full of personalty.

Pook

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

boarder collie

One that stays the night, rather than going home? 😉

Beagles are great animals, if you happen to be using them for their original use. As pets, not ideal, especially as their original use means that they're made to work hard, something few owners can give them.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Damn my spelling 😀

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Yep, my mate had a beagle. Land owner gave it to him as it was going to be destroyed as it didn't like chasing things (like foxes!).

Agree with Captain, he was a postie and even he couldn't take it for long enough walks.

richc
    Free Member

there was a trouble one on the dog whisperer and in the end he advised weight sacks, and getting it to tow their son around on his skateboard for a couple of hours a day which knackered it out.

So all in all not ideal.

GolfChick
    Free Member

i hear its not an ideal first owner dog, they will follow their nose wherever it takes them no matter who or what calls them back, quite stubborn and independent too. This is only what I know from reading around and speaking to other dog owners.

RaveyDavey
    Free Member

Fantastic and interesting breed but not for the faint hearted! You'll need to live somewhere with plenty of open space and it'll need exercising at least twice a day off the lead. They are able to be trained if you get a working bred one not a show dog but they will try the patience of a saint! Best left to the Beagle packs and get yourself a collie or a springer.

billybob
    Free Member

we used to have one.. was a brilliant dog.

As others have said tho she was a bit of a terror…

anagallis_arvensis

The only ones I see are either kept on leads all the time to stop them running off or are let off the lead and run off. I wouldnt want one as a pet (nor a collie either but thats for other reasons).

Paulio
    Free Member

My parents have a couple of Beagles – lovely dogs, full of character and both have pretty different personalities. It feels odd writing about dog personalities.

They are quite headstrong but certainly trainable and yes, they love loads of exercise. Get one young would be my advice as they seem much, much easier to train. Old dogs and all that I guess.

pitduck
    Free Member

for exercise why not get a bike 🙄

Sandwich

If you go and get one, remember the pack has one brain which it time shares! Wait until your choice has the brain and pick it up. Jobs a good 'un.
    If you get impatient you end up with a dumb un-trainable mutt which looks very cute. I was beating young women off with a stick on dog walks 😀

Paulio
    Free Member

Oh yeah, be prepared to talk to a lot of people when you take a beagle for a walk.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘OT Beagles’ is closed to new replies.