Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • OT: Anyone good at resolving tenancy/landlord 'issues'
  • mooose
    Free Member

Hi, hope you can help with this little dilemma…

Moved into a shared house last June and 12 month contract signed by all 6 tenants. Sometime in February housemate A wants to add another 3 weeks to contract, and was discussed, but I did not agree to this since after the contract period I already have a place to live.

I moved out last week as the 12month contract had came to the end, but the 5 housemates are staying 3 more weeks. I called Landlord to check about moving out procedures and deposit returning, but it seems he believes that a contract extension has been signed for by housemate A. He wants the 3 weeks rent for my room, and is saying he will take it from my £200 deposit.

Housemate A believes I should pay this rent, however I never agreed to the extension by either verbal or signed contract.

Any recommendations to get this money back and into the bike budget?

Thanks in advance.

highclimber
    Free Member

did you disagree in writing? a verbal disagreement is generally not enough if others have agreed in writing on your behalf.

I take it you deposit is being held in a third-party deposit scheme?

mooose
    Free Member

Thanks for the reply,

No, didnt disagree in writing, but at the time I didnt know an additional written contract had been drawn up, so far as I knew this housemate arranging the extension sorted it out all informally.

Don’t see why they should be allowed to sign a contract on my behalf without my consent, verbal or otherwise. But then I’m no expert on tenancy laws, just follows common sense to me.

Likewise, not sure about the deposit. Whats a third party deposit scheme then?

MSP

Landlord hasn’t got a leg to stand on, if you haven’t signed a contract extension it doesn’t apply to you. However he is probably banking on 200 quid not being worth fighting for.

higgo
    Free Member

Are you paying rent collectively or individually?

highclimber
    Free Member

under law all deposits for rental properties have to be held in a thrid-party deposit scheme. this was put in place to prevent unscrupulous landlords from witholding deposits paid by their tenants should repairs etc need to be done on vacating.

Junkyard
    Free Member

NEVER EVER pay the last months rent to a landlord it take them longer to evict you than that and ensure you get your money back. This was the only foolproof method I ever found to secure my deposit.
    I suspect the law is on your side as you fulfilled the contract you signed though it may be complicated if you all signed the same contract rather than had one each for each room.

highclimber
    Free Member

NEVER EVER pay the last months rent to a landlord

you are generally a month in hand anyway aren’t you so you should not pay the penultimate months rent in this case!

Junkyard
    Free Member

The payment may be made in the penultimate month but it is for the last month. So you are still not paying for the last month rather than not paying for the penultimate one.

highclimber
    Free Member

I getcha!

Lifer
    Free Member

Junkyard – Member

NEVER EVER pay the last months rent to a landlord it take them longer to evict you than that and ensure you get your money back.

Which has resulted in a lot of places demanding rent and a half as deposit.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

GEt real professional advice. I suspect that the landlord will cave in when faced with someone who knows their stuff as I can see several lines of attack.

If you can find steve austin (from here – not the real one) he knows his stuff and has links to good info

mooose
    Free Member

Wow, thanks for all the input guys, didn’t expect so much helpfulness 🙂

The rent was paid individually, but we all signed on the same original 12mnth contract. (this ‘extension contract’ i’ve never even seen, only heard about it this week)

My only worry is that the joint contract adds complication, however that contract ended on saturday fully fulfilled on my part.

Although £200 isn’t worth dying for it’s still quite a sum and I am a huge believer in fairness. Interested to hear from this Steve Austin if he pops by.

Cheers

higgo
    Free Member

So what happened?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘OT: Anyone good at resolving tenancy/landlord 'issues'’ is closed to new replies.