Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • OT – another roof insulation thread
  • dawson

hi,

anybody got any suggestions on how to insulate under the tiles and in between the beams – see photo below – its a cupboard in my attic that contains the water tank, those are the slate roof tiles that you can see.

I had thought of getting some of this
    Knauf Saver Value Triple Loft Insulation 200mm

and putting it between the beams and then putting some thin plywood board up against it and screwing to the beams, but i’m unsure about creating a condensation problem and whether the insulation would be too thick.

In the cupboard next to it it seems to have some type of gyproc (sp?) board?

dawson

cheeky bump for the day shift 😉

Mr_C
    Free Member

Kingspan Celotex – cut to size and wedged between the rafters.

I don’t think you’ll have a condensation problem as there is no vapour barrier under the tiles so I would imagine there’s a bit of ventilation between them.

That tank isn’t supplying drinking water is it? If it is you should get a proper cover put on.

mk1fan
    Free Member

Why are you thinking of insulating between the rafters?

Much more efficient to insulate between / over the ceiling joists.

Oh and don’t insulate under the tank put a jacket on it and insulate the pipes with ‘Water Board’ approved pipe insulation.

mugsys_m8

‘cupboard in my attic’

Is your attic converted into a room? and this cupboard is adjacent to the converted bit but obviously not converted?

Depending on the abve, i’d say depends on where you put the insulation: i.e. between the rafters AND the wall between converted/ non converted vs. bettwen the floor/ ceiling joists.

ahwiles
    Free Member

25mm (square) battens nailed/glued onto the rafters, running down their length, up against the tiles.

then, 25mm celotex nailed/glued onto the battens.

this way you can be a bit slap-dash with the cutting of the insulation, and still get a good fit – which is important.

dawson

Is Kingspan and celotex 1 name or 2 names?

Yes, that is the cold water tank 😳 nobody has died yet!! I’ll look at covering the top a bit better!

BlindMelon
    Free Member

Kingspan Kooltherm K7 is what you need. Celotex is a rival brand

dawson

@Blindmelon – ta, that explains it better, i’ll have a look for that later

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘OT – another roof insulation thread’ is closed to new replies.