Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • OT – airline baggage allowance – surfboards / taping bags together!?!?
  • Matt_SS_xc

Planning a trip to California this December, surf trips have always been to Europe in the van prior to this trip.

I want to take 2 boards and don’t have a double boardbag. Do you think I could ducktape 2 bags together and check in as 1 bag? Not really sure what the rules etc are

thanks for any advice!

ceepers

Probably no!

A lot depends on your airline, they vary a lot!

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’m thinking a double board bag would be cheaper than having to abandon one board at the airport.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Matt_SS_xc

I’m thinking that too! Doesn’t seem worth the hassle/stress!
    Thanks

ceepers

Sometimes they will open a double bag and count it as two boards!

IME virgin are the most accommodating across the Atlantic but they just revised their policy to only accepting shorter boards. Who are you flying with? What boards?

Is it just you going? When I’ve gone with my family it’s been one board per ticket but my girls don’t surf so that’s been up to three boards for me. I have a double bag that will fit a log and a short board in its own bag. I’ve checked them as two separate boards then stuffed them both in the double bag for transport once we arrived in Ca

johnx2
    Free Member

I’ve stuck two in a single larger than usual bag before now, plenty of lagging, and only paid for one board. But only in Europe.

ceepers

To be fair I have too but I think you’re a little bit at the mercy of the mood of the person on the desk!

dashed
    Free Member

Matt – where are you? If you’re anywhere Manchester I’ve got a perfectly good double bag you can borrow…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Probably depend on the size and weight, check out the T&C’s with luggage allowance going more to sporting being part of they seem to care less. If I was going to do it I’d be looking at wrapping them so it’s one item but within their size guidelines – just remember though the TSA goon will want to open and look at it if your doing transit to another internal flight.

Matt_SS_xc

It’s me and gf taking boards, none of boards are over 6ft. Found a friend with a bag to borrow so all good. Thanks for advice all, time to read small print before booking I think!!

Pigface
    Free Member

Taking coal to Newcastle? Grab some boards in Cali, thousands second hand sell it or trade it into a shop before you come home,

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘OT – airline baggage allowance – surfboards / taping bags together!?!?’ is closed to new replies.