Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • OT: Air guns, rifles, pistols etc and the rest – what do I need to know?
  • iamsporticus
    Free Member

Hi

Im looking for a bit of help on the above
    Google was my first option but hasnt given me much in the way of sensible advice

Obvs guns are cool and as i now have a couple of teenagers in the house Id like to bag my own

Before you all dial 911 I should add that the kids are actually pretty sensible and we have just returned from our holls in France where some dodgy French bloke let them blast away with a couple of CO2 powered rifles to good effect with minimal French health and safety

We have enough space in the garden to set up some targets safely and I reckon it would do them good in a number of areas, especially discipline, if we do some wholesome family shooting with me in control

Questions unanswered from Google:

22 innit, surely?
    CO2 or spring? I can see that spring is cheaper and requires more discipline, thought and effort
    Are all pellets the same within reason?
    Brands, makes, distributors and retailer. Any suggestions even if to avoid?
    Budget 500 quid all in for weapon, sights, ammo, targets and “stuff.” What stuff do I need that ive forgotten and would it be worth spending 500 more to get better kit or would I notice spending £150 less?

Anything else I should think about?

Cheers

PePPeR

I’d be looking at a Hatsan AT44 T10, great rifles, cheap but are one of the few that actually bother to put a proper trigger mechanism on them to prevent double loading and wrecking the barrel!

Go on Gunstar and you can find decent complete kits including scopes and moderator for the budget you’re looking at.
    I’d go co2 much nicer to use!

Pellets are all different, several places sell trial packages so you can find your favourite.

You can buy brilliant targets on eBay that are self re setting and you can plink away all day at them.

Also Tarian marks (chalk discs) are brilliant I hang them up for the kids with paper clips and they explode well.

alanl
    Free Member

.177 calibre every time.
    More accurate and cheaper.
    I’d be more inclined to buy secondhand than new. You could pick up a pretty decent PCP (compressed air rather than CO2) for £350.
    Compressed air bottles are £100ish each, and £1-2 per refill. You can fill the gun up 5-10 times with one bottle refill, obviously depending on gun reservoir and bottle size/pressure.
    Typical sizes are 3 litre bottle at 300psi.
    Search the airgun forums, and Guntrader for a 2nd hand gun, get advice beforehand.
    Most people are either members of Clubs, or have their own range, so you can try the gun out if you do go to look at one.
    I’d also go to some shops that have their own range to try out too. Most shops keep 2nd hand guns in.
    Personally, I’d go for one of the better names out there – BSA/AirArms/Webley have some decent cheaper end PCP rifles that will hold their value.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    timmys

22 innit, surely?

If you think if the difference between .177 and .22 as like comparing 26″ wheels to 29″ wheels you won’t be far wrong. They are just different. Hilariously there’s also .20 in the middle, just like 650b, but the marketing departments in the air gun industry never went full retard, so it has remained as a niche. A lot of people (the clever ones), prefer .177 as it has a flatter trajectory so it makes it easier to make allowances for different distances. Due to the legal power limit the muzzle energy is exactly the same in either calibre. A slower heavier pellet retains energy for longer because physics but it’s pretty negligible over air gun distances.

CO2 or spring?

In rifles you’re really looking at precharged pneumatics (PCP) or spring. C02 rifles do exist but they are not a big thing. C02 is common for pistols though. For what you want I’d suggest spring as PCP is borderline out of your budget and you have the hassle of changing bottles etc.

Yes and no. What’s important is the weight off the pellet, a very heavy pellet can take a legal gun over the legal limit if it’s been set up for light pellets for instance. Also important is whether a particular pellet suits the barrel of whatever model rifle you have. It’s worth testing a range of pellets if you are serious about accuracy.

Brands, makes, distributors and retailer. Any suggestions even if to avoid?

I’m not really up on current makes/models. Something like a BSA Supersport used to be a great budget gun, I think they still make it. Air Arms is probably what I’d go for if they have models in budget personally, quick google suggest you can get a TX200 for under £400 which is a lovely gun. There’s a lot of chinese and eastern european stuff about which is generally pretty ropey but there are some gems. Sights, go for a better quality 4×32 over a enormo-zoom model.

Anything else I should think about?

I hope you are not in Scotland.

RustySpanner

All personal opinion, you might disagree entirely.

22 innit, surely?

.177 is cheaper, more suited to the UK power limit, arguably more accurate and the standard for most forms of target shooting.

CO2 or spring?

Spring.
    CO2 is a bit rubbish and buying the cartridges can work out expensive.
    Pre charged pneumatic (PCP) rifles are the full sussers of the airgun world – the latest thing but can take the fun out of things.
    Pricey, lots of faff and a bit pointless imo, unless you’re determined to have the latest thing.

Different pellets suit different barrels.
    Ask at your shop, they’ll recommend the best type.

Budget 500 quid all in for weapon, sights, ammo, targets and “stuff.”

For one gun? Easy.

I like Weihrauch, well respected German make.
    BSA and Webley are just names now, guns are nowhere near the quality of the old UK made stuff.
    Gamo & Hatsan might be ok, or you might get a stinker.

You could get a Weihrauch HW35 – (old classic, still being made today) or HW95 (slightly more modern equivalent) for under £300.
    I’d go for the HW35 – it comes with open sights, which are still great fun and it’s a solid gold design classic you can still buy.
    You can order an ‘Export’ version which will have a walnut stock instead of the standard beech – well worth the extra few quid.

Weihrauch do cheaper guns, but they are compromised somewhat (HW99s – graunchy cocking action, HW30 – bit underpowered if you venture outside the garden).

Hawke make excellent value budget scopes – you can get something very pleasant from the Vantage range for about £60.00.
    Make sure it’s an AO model with an adjustable objective though.

You’ll need a pellet trap and some targets.
    A gun slip too.
    Eye protection is essential – my well meaning dad built a backstop from MDF, which just sent the pellets back the way they came at very high speed.
    Second ever shot I ended up hitting my own ear with a ricochet.
    😐

All doable for £500 and all quality stuff which will last a lifetime.
    No need to spend any more, but if you want to guarantee decent quality I would hesitate to spend any less.

Lots of useful info on this retailer’s site:
    Link.

And this forum:
    Link, .

Enjoy!

wysiwyg
    Free Member

I wouldnt go full retard and drop all that ££ on the kit. Id find a cheap springer and teach them to shoot. Think of it as learning to ride on a HT. They may get bored in a week. The go to in the day used to be a Webley Excel as it was quite small for teens.
    If they enjoy it then upgrades ahoy.

revs1972
    Free Member

Buying new at that budget, go for a good quality springer. I recommend an Air Arms Tx200 or a Weihrauch HW97 . I’ve had both, but only have the AA now.
    I also have a top end Daystate PCP which whilst still fun to shoot, is dead compared to the springer (which is what you want for Target shooting). You will learn a lot from shooting the springer as it a much slower process.
    Budget for some decent glass to go on top
    If you are just target shooting then buy .177

If you buy from these guys then you get lifetime servicing and warranty at your budget

http://www.theairguncentre.com/air-arms-tx200-hc

Or these
    http://www.ronniesunshines.com/guns/air-rifles/spring

5thElefant
    Free Member

I have a co2 rifle for visiting kids. They’re cheap, stupidly accurate and ideal for gardens. Running costs are higher but the lack of hassle makes up for it.
    This kind of thing…

iamsporticus
    Free Member

THANKS!

I love this place, cheers all for the advice

.177 it is then, also seems I may have been wrong in assuming the French bloke was using CO2 when it could have been compressed air – either way they were massively easier to use than I remember back in the day with spring powered rifles – although I need to look at running costs for gas

Cheers

Basil

Hi.Xmas brought me my HW35 nearly forty years ago. Despite being a firearm license holder still love hunting with airguns.
    I have gone as far as Theoben PCP. Amazing . Had .177 , .20 & .22
    What I know:
    .177 is the calibre to have. Do not listen to any other pov for a legal sub 12lbs air rifle. (.25 in FAC is very gun fun)
    If you learn to shoot a springer,you can shoot anything after.
    Clubs are good to try before you buy.
    For the love of your children two things EYE PROTECTION & muzzle direction.
    Still have my HW35, and it still shoots very well.

peepingtom
    Free Member

Had a theoben fenman for years but allways found that for in the garden the multi shot c02 pistol we had was allways the most fun ,
    yes to a pellet trap and safety glasses btw .
    Avoid cheap pellets !,the best I found was webley accupel .

PePPeR

I was saying Co2 and I meant pcp…

redthunder
    Free Member

Logun Solo

😈

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘OT: Air guns, rifles, pistols etc and the rest – what do I need to know?’ is closed to new replies.