Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • OT: ADSL Modem
  • brassneck

Being the font of all knowledge, can anyone recommend me a good stable ADSL modem, for connection into a site router (so offering RJ45 Ethernet to the router, X Jack to the phone line)? Easy enough to find one, but if anyone uses such a thing often in anger for prolonged periods it’d be nice to know. Cost not a huge issue, I’ve seen £10 – £100 but could stretch to more if there’s a benefit.

Thanks in advance!

allan23
    Free Member

Been a while since I bought one, Netgear used to be a good balance between cost and not being sh!t.

If it’s more critical business use, could never really go wrong with Draytek – bit more complicated to setup, but not much.

Most modern routers are stable though and if you’re getting drops then it’s likely to be other things causing it, should be easily diagnosed by ISP.

We used to get the odd router fault but not many and usually the ISP side of the network had an 80% good guess rate based on the errors if it was router hardware at fault.

brassneck

Ta, Draytek were one of the £100 ish options that looked reasonable – it’ll just be setup as a bridge so I’ll give that a go. Thanks again!

TheBrick
    Free Member

If it is somewhere unmanned it is worth adding a gem controlled switch of some sort so you can “turn it off and on again” via text.

brassneck

Yup, have ‘intelligent’ PDUs for that .. assuming I plug it into the right port of course 😀

Flaperon

The Openreach boxes on eBay for about £20? Normally do VDSL but they’ll talk to anything. Takes about 10 minutes to unlock the web UI then you can set them up as you choose.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

Zyxel are a good choice but may cost more than your £100 limit.

I am currently using a TP-Link model at home which was just under £100 and is very stable.

woody2000

We use a D-Link DSL-320B at work, been totally reliable (so far!). Cheap as chips too

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘OT: ADSL Modem’ is closed to new replies.