Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 148 total)
  • ot: 50cc scooters – any thoughts? Peugeots ok?
  • dmjb4
    Free Member

All – anyone in the know on 50cc scooters? Need one to get from our house to train station a few days a month. Not cycle-able without getting too sweaty. [Normally 8m e/w cycle to work, but station in suit with laptop and not showering, just not do-able!]

Needs to be under 50cc so can ride without doing cbt etc, and under £600 or so.

Thinking Peugeot Jetforce but only as it came up quick on ebay / google search.

Any thoughts or links to scooter sites appreciated!

emanuel
    Free Member

vespa.
    have a look at piaggio,they do loads,and the aforementioned.

emanuel
    Free Member

(s/h)

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Thought you still had to do your CBT.

sam_underhill

+1 you still need to do to cbt before being allowed on the roads. But it’s only 1 day. Might be worth doing cbt on a geared bike though.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Vespa 50cc

5thElefant
    Free Member

Thought you still had to do your CBT.

Not if you got your licence pre-December 1990.

nmdbase
    Free Member

A rider who holds either a full car licence or a full moped licence (gained prior to 1 December 1990) may ride a motorcycle as a learner after first completing CBT as these licences provide provisional motorcycle

What is CBT all about?
    As a new rider, you are required by law to complete Compulsory Basic Training (CBT) before you can ride on L-plates. The Driving Standards Agency syllabus will introduce you to safety equipment and riding gear, basic machine control, and the concepts behind road safety. A qualified instructor will accompany you on a minimum of a two-hour road ride. Having reached a safe and proficient level of riding, you will receive a CBT certificate (DL196). This certificate is valid for two years, and allows you to ride displaying L-plates unaccompanied on the road from 1st January 1997, all learner motorcyclists must complete CBT before riding on the road. This includes riders who hold a full car licence dated before 1 December 1990, who were previously exempt under transitional rules from 1st February 2001, car drivers who qualify after 1 February 2001 will be required to complete CBT before riding a moped.

fourbanger
    Free Member

Honder Zoomer. Nothing with that little capacity is nearly that cool. If I could find a reason to but one I would.

5thElefant
    Free Member

A rider who holds either a full car licence or a full moped licence (gained prior to 1 December 1990) may ride a motorcycle as a learner after first completing CBT as these licences provide provisional motorcycle

I got the wrong date:

If you passed your car driving test before 1 February 2001 you don’t need to complete a CBT course to ride a moped. However, the Driving Standards Agency (DSA) recommends that you do.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/LearnerAndNewDrivers/RidingMotorcyclesAndMopeds/DG_4022430

dokta
    Free Member

I bought an aprillia 50cc, it was reliable motor for that year. Sold it later to a friend of mine, then it got stolen. All in all it was a pleasure to own it.

Regards CBT test, I personally would strongly recommend doing it. Had a friend of mine who laughed at me doing it, but then asked to try -that donkey 50cc- needless to say, he crashed. Thanked me later for forcing him to wear helmet and gloves, … saved him from Tarmac rush.

flow
    Free Member

Do a CBT for £90 and get a 125cc bike, much safer than a small wheeled moped.

jerseychaz

Avoid anything “Chinese”, the spares and service backup is a nightmare according to my lad who’s a m’cycle technician. Peugeot/Yamaha/Piaggio are all good. However, you ought to do your CBT and go for a 125.

kilo

do cbt (if required couldn’t be bothered to read all the ins and out’s above) get honda c90 with topbox

br
    Free Member

Avoid anything “Chinese”, the spares and service backup is a nightmare according to my lad who’s a m’cycle technician

Disagree, some are decent. My local dealer sells Pulse and I recently bought my son one of these:

http://www.pulsemoto.co.uk/BT49QT-20CA.php

He’d spent a bit of time researching the market and (as he’s a small workshop type dealer) had seen a fair share of crap been brought in by people who’d bought direct (also beware as you need to register them). Plus these guys run a UK spares warehouse.

They do a cheaper one, but tbh you’d be better spending a bit more to get bigger wheels, better lights/brakes etc.

It does over 100mpg and manages 44mph (after been derestricted).

Not a bad piece of kit, ok nothing like my Triumph, but it was a 1/10 of the price. And even for a 16 y/o all it took was a prov. licence and a days’ CBT.

If I was buying one for short trips etc, I’d go for the 125 as its cheaper, quicker and I’ve a full licence.

The middle red one is my sons’, the blue is the cheaper version:

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

monkey bike

Simon_Semtex
    Free Member

Mad kids I work with say a Generic Trigger.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Do a CBT for £90 and get a 125cc bike, much safer than a small wheeled moped.

That’s mid information at best, poor advice would be a better description.

Please tell me
    A) how many miles you’ve done on scooters (I’ve done a good 20000-30000 at the very least, and probably 150000 on motorbikes)
    B) why a 125 bike is any safer based on your knowledge

I get sick of anti scooter bias by people that don’t know a thing about them.
    —————————
    To the OP:
    Do your CBT, and get a 4 stroke 125 Vespa. Do not bother with a French scooter, they are crap quality. The Italians build the best scooters, end of argument. Honda build good ones too but they don’t have the style or the performance of the Italian stuff. The 4 valve Piaggo engine is the best scooter lump available, cheap to run and solid as a rock. Pay £1000 for a used Vespa/Piaggio/Gilera (same company) run it 2-3 years and sell it for £800-900.
    They really can’t be beaten.

flow
    Free Member

A) how many miles you’ve done on scooters (I’ve done a good 20000-30000 at the very least, and probably 150000 on motorbikes)

Not many, they are shite.

B) why a 125 bike is any safer based on your knowledge

Because generally they accelerates quicker, stops quicker, have bigger wheels so are a lot more stable, they can go faster so you are not always being overtaken – which is dangerous.

I get sick of anti scooter bias by people that don’t know a thing about them.

So from the short statement I wrote, you made that judgement.

Well done you.

kaiser
    Free Member

the cbt on a 125 would only allow 2 yrs riding before more tests/expense otherwise back to 50cc only. I bought a 2nd hand honda sfx50 for the missus 1998 6000 miles . cost me approx £500 after tweaks. quite quick up to 30mph then that’s it!
    BR ..i’m sure you know and probably don’t care but derestricting your sons bike will have invalidated his insurance unless it was declared (and bikes ARE regularly checked after accidents where a payout may be substantial.)

martymac

my advice, do the cbt and get a 125 scooter.
    a 125 will do 70 mph and easily keep up with traffic pulling away from traffic lights.
    i would happily go the length of the country on a 125 scooter or bike,
    but a 50 is out of its depth by the time you get to a 40mph limit.
    choose one that can take your helmet under the seat, so you dont have to carry it all day.
    happy biking!

rp16v
    Free Member

as your only doing 8 miles 30mph is plenty or speak to insurnce companys as u may be able to have a de-restricted one lecaly as cc will still be the same some allow it if over 17.
    iv found my speedfight good im upto 22000 on it with only minor niggles but as mentioned gilera/piagio are the best scooter eingins around
    u could look at the tried and tested typhoon,vespa,runner,skp(stalker),nrg anything allong those lines are used to being raged withing an inch of there life by a 16yo so for a simple commute in caring hands it will last a lifetime

or again as said do cbt and get 125 version of some of the above models and go up to a 4stroke(but it just wont smell the same :lol:)
    eventualy to accept the fact that u love riding it and get a bigger cc ped/bike

flow
    Free Member

but it just wont smell the same

Two stroke is one of my favorite aromas

rp16v
    Free Member

damb right love the smell first thing in the morning when choke is on

br
    Free Member

BR ..i’m sure you know and probably don’t care but derestricting your sons bike will have invalidated his insurance unless it was declared (and bikes ARE regularly checked after accidents where a payout may be substantial.)

Agree, but at least he can now keep up with the traffic, and TP only, as comp was more than the scoot and TPFT not much less…

Very simple de-restrict too.

flow
    Free Member

BR ..i’m sure you know and probably don’t care but derestricting your sons bike will have invalidated his insurance unless it was declared (and bikes ARE regularly checked after accidents where a payout may be substantial.

Thats not actually true.

I crashed a derestricted NSR125R when I was 19, the insurance company didn’t care because it wasn’t my fault, and I told them.

Ended up with £5000 compensation too.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Flow – You are wrong about scooters and 125s – listen to PP – he actually have the experience

Because generally they accelerates quicker, stops quicker, have bigger wheels so are a lot more stable, they can go faster so you are not always being overtaken – which is dangerous.

Wrong in every particular.

Derestricting mopeds is a really bad move – the insurance is invalid and you will not be riding in accordance with your licence – get caught and its goodbye bike and license

flow
    Free Member

Flow – You are wrong about scooters and 125s – listen to PP – he actually have the experience

Wrong in every particular.

So you are telling me bigger wheels aren’t more stable?

A 125cc bike doesn’t accelerate quicker than a 50cc moped?

A 125 isn’t quicker top end?

And 125’s are not safer because you aren’t constantly being overtaken?

TJ, you are either extremely stupid, or you didn’t read what I wrote.

I would go with both.

Derestricting mopeds is a really bad move – the insurance is invalid and you will not be riding in accordance with your licence – get caught and its goodbye bike and license

That is utter bullshit.

Like I said, my bike was derestricted when I crashed it. It had an Arrows race pipe and carbon can, hardly bloody inconspicuous.

The insurance company or the police didn’t care one bit.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Flow – scooters and mopeds are not synonymous. Many scooters are much quicker that 125s.

PP has the experience and knowledge as do I – you do not.

A scooter is a much better proposition as a commuter than a 125 motorcycle.Your edit shows your stupidity

I actually doubt your story but if its right you were very lucky.

De restrict your bike both you insurance is invalid and you are not in accordance with your licence. get caught it 6 pts min, bike to crusher.

flow
    Free Member

Flow – scooters and mopeds are not synonymous. Many scooters are much quicker that 125s.

No 50cc scooter is quicker than a 125cc, derestricted or not.

PP has the experience and knowledge as do I – you do not.

Whatever you daft old man, clearly you don’t have a clue WTF you are going on about, as always.

I actually doubt your story but if its right you were very lucky.

Of course TJ, I made it up 🙄

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Flow – moped does not equal scooter.

Try a gilera runner 200 – much quicker than a 125. Muppet 😛

So again you passed your test when?

You rode a scooter (not a moped) how many miles?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

To the OP – a peogeot is fine – most of the euro scooters use the same drivetrains

flow
    Free Member

Try a gilera runner 200 – much quicker than a 125. Muppet

So I was right, you didn’t read what I wrote and you are thick.

I was talking about a 50CC MOPED, AND A 125CC BIKE.

And for the record, a scooter is a moped.

Mopeds are a type of low-powered motorcycle designed to provide economical and relatively safe transport with minimal licensing requirements. In most countries, the legal driving age for a moped is lower than for regular motorcycles and cars. Mopeds are typically restricted to 50 km/h (30 mph) from a maximum engine displacement of 49 cc (3.0 cu in), though there are a few variations.

I would give up now before you make yourself look like even more of a tool than you already have done.

flow
    Free Member

To the OP – don’t listen to a word TJ says, he is a clueless old man.

Edit: Obviously I don’t need to point that out

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

FLOW – A SCOOTER IS NOT A MOPED!

the biggest scooter has a 600 cc engine and will do 120 mph

flow

😆

nickname
    Free Member

Do be careful about a 50cc. Did my CBT on one last May (pizza hut delivery style bike) and you do tend to get cars right up your backside, especially if there’s any type of incline.

I got myself a Honda PCX 125, and she is really rather beautiful and perfect for my 10mile commute around London, a tad more expensive though.

I was going to opt for a 2nd hand Gilera Runner, but the kids tend to trash them a lot around these parts, and thief’s love them, plus at 6’2 I’m perhaps too big for one 😀

Also consider luggage space, mpg, and leg room (if your a tall chap).

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

80s are ok – and cheapish. mine would do 55mph

flow
    Free Member

You are properly thick aren’t you TJ

What is this thread about? 50CC not 600 or 200cc, therefore the scooter in question is a MOPED.

I know that might be a bit much for your ancient brain to figure out, if you need help, ask again.

mike_p
    Free Member

Do your CBT, and get a 4 stroke 125 Vespa. Do not bother with a French scooter, they are crap quality. The Italians build the best scooters, end of argument. Honda build good ones too but they don’t have the style or the performance of the Italian stuff. The 4 valve Piaggo engine is the best scooter lump available, cheap to run and solid as a rock. Pay £1000 for a used Vespa/Piaggio/Gilera (same company) run it 2-3 years and sell it for £800-900.
    They really can’t be beaten.

This ^^

8 miles is a long way on a moped, I do 3 every day (Vespa 4-stroke 50cc moped) and the lack of power/speed is wearing – too lazy to get around to CBT! Mind you, the consequences of dropping a moped at 30mph are somewhat limited, as I know to my benefit 😳

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Flow – no its only you that is confused.. Mopeds are not the same as scooters although ignorant people often muddle them

PP clearly refered to scooters not mopeds an you have used the two terms synonymously.

flow

😆

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 148 total)

The topic ‘ot: 50cc scooters – any thoughts? Peugeots ok?’ is closed to new replies.