Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Osteoarthritis in hip(s) any experience ?
  • nealglover
    Free Member

Just been to the doctors for the results of an X-ray after a few weeks af worse than normal pain in my right hip.
    (Restricted inward rotation)

Results say I have osteoarthritis in both hips 🙁

Bit of a shock as I had sort of ruled that out due to the fact I’ve suffered the same pain (on and off) since I was in my late 30’s (45 now) and presumed I was too young.

Any experience of treatments, and relative success ?

Cheer me up, I’m feeling old before my time.

twinw4ll
    Free Member

Progressive overload to build muscle, the by product of more muscle is increased bone density.
    More muscle more support for the joints.

sofaking
    Free Member

Diagnosed with the same at 40 (7 years ago). shallow angled hip joints
    some days I dont notice it others are painful
    keep exercising to keep weight down but dont over do it as this causes more wear.( still riding 3 times a week when time permits)
    too much of anything be it exercise or lazing about doesnt do it any good.
    A tempur mattress has worked wonders for my sleep though,you can get a discount with a note from your doctor on orthopedic mattress’s /beds

mattstreet

Was diagnosed with hip dysplasia in my early 30s and similarly have arthritis thanks to it. Not too bad, but can be quite uncomfortable, certainly around this season.

Regarding official treatment, just waiting until it’s gets unbearable enough for replacements, but better to leave it as long as possible really.

Have found that taking fish oils regularly helps – might be placebo, but whatever helps helps. Also find sleeping with a pillow between the legs helps too.

Importantly though – as sofaking says, keep exercising and moving – gets easy to seize up.

ton

4 week post op from a total hip replacement.
    started with arthritis in my early 30’s. had both knees done in 2003.
    right ankle started to self fuse around about the same time, but i did the bloke thing and put up with the pain.
    dragging the ankle around started to wear my left hip out.
    got to the stage where i couldnt walk 100 yards.
    had my right ankle fused last august. 12 weeks no weight bearing, which proved the final straw for my left hip.
    got to the stage where tramadol and codeine didnt touch the pain.
    left hip done 4 weeks ago today.
    saw the physio 10 days ago. she told me all was good, and that i could use the turbo in the house.
    came on leaps and bounds.
    decided to try my bike outside today. did 15 minutes on the street no problem. i will get told off for this when i tell the surgeon in 12 days.

most important thing i can tell you is, DO NOT BE A BLOKE. get to the doctors get some good pain relief.
    oh, and it only gets more painfull…….. 😆

nealglover
    Free Member

most important thing i can tell you is, DO NOT BE A BLOKE. get to the doctors get some good pain relief.

Done and done.
    Although currently the pain is manageable with standard off the shelf (paracetamol/ibuprofen) cocktail.

rhys
    Free Member

Hi, back on here after a 5 year gap thanks mainly to Tons reports of THR. Have been training and competing at surf lifesaving (running, sprinting, swimming, board paddling etc). The last two years have experienced greater degrees of pain in right hip that has progressively worsened. Can make myself compete in sprints but day to day have increasing levels of pain. Up to 8 Zapain (paracetamol and codeine) a day to try to manage the pain. Was told by the consultant that I would know when I needed the replacement and you know what he was absolutely right. Had been putting it off to stay in competition but reached a day where I simply could not function properly, it was severely affecting my sleep. Now 2 weeks post op. its a bit scary, what level will I be able to compete at after I don’t know but couldn’t carry on the way I was. 46btw.

hodgynd
    Free Member

You have my sympathy ..all of you.
    I don’t suffer too much ..but maybe have a touch in my fingers..
    Watching my mother deteriorate with Rhumatoid arthritis is a main motivating factor in using my mountain bike for exercise.
    My mother retired early ..hardly did any exercise and I watched that condition become gradually worse to the extent that she creaked with even the slightest movement and was in unbelievable pain doing so …this condition was one of the main reasons for her death 10 years ago aged just 69…way too young.
    As others have said if you are showing any symptoms ..seek treatment as soon as possible and may your recovery be a good one ..but just don’t stop moving .

whitestone
    Free Member

I had my hip done (THR) at the age of 54. Prior to that the pain was variable, some days it was similar to mild toothache, other days it was something else. At times it was so bad I felt like passing out, I was certainly reduced to tears. The worst times were after I’d been in one position for a while, even a few minutes, so things like getting up out of bed or a chair or even starting pedalling again after coasting for a minute or two. It affected my walking to the point that people could recognise me in semi-darkness by my gait.

The surgeon said I was a bit on the young side for THR but my condition was so bad he’d do it when I wanted.

Looking back I can no recognise the symptoms starting around ten years prior to it becoming a problem. Prior to being diagnosed I thought it was a recurring groin strain following a slip on ice while out running.

Once I recovered from the operation and things settled down I was able to do whatever I’d done before and more. I certainly wouldn’t be doing the things I do now.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Osteoarthritis in hip(s) any experience ?’ is closed to new replies.