Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Osteoarthritis- been diagnosed with a bit of it…
  • unfitgeezer
    Free Member

…had ultrasound today on my index finger and thumb and been confirmed with Osteoarthritis.

I’m 44 years old and been suffering with painful finger (also lump on index finger) and thumb for quite some time.

I have a bike shop so years of abuse on my hands…that’ll teach me !

Any tips/ helpful advice gladly taken.

tartanscarf

Sorry to hear that. I’m 46 and have had osteoarthritis in my big toes joints for a few years now. I can’t give much advice about hands as I’ve only just got it in my thumb joint recently. I do know with my toes I find it best to wear insoles and stiff boots/shoes to stop flexing. Can’t imagine there’s anything similar htat you can do with your hands apart from minimising flexing the joint. I asked various pro’s (including the doc obviously) about glucosamine but the jury was very much out on that. Interested to hear if anything comes up with anything else.

ton

just cross your fingers and hope it dont spread to you ankles/knees/hips.

ankle fusion done, just waiting for a date for my left hip replacement, and right hip will need doing within the next couple of years.

aces…….. 😆

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

just cross your fingers and hope it dont spread to you ankles/knees/hips.

while you still can 😆

Serious note I have had it mildly in my hands for some years but I find taking Glucosamine with Chondroitin helps a lot . Glucosamine on its own didn’t feel as though it helped at all . Didn’t stop me needing my hip resurfacing 10 weeks ago through arthritis though . 😥

iainc

I have it too. Big toe fusion about 8 yrs ago (now 51) and have thumb and knee problems. Daily Honegar and a spoon of molasses (was a Runulph Fienes recommended aid) works well for me, along with glucosamine and chondroitin.

ton

i have been taking nefopam for a couple of month, it is the only painkiller that has worked so far.
    years of glucosamine and codliver oil did nothing at all to help or ease my troubles.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Nor mine but the Chondroitin seems to make the difference .

CountZero

Got it in two places on my left knee, triggered by a hard knee/tarmac interface when my bike went out from under me.
    Had it x-rayed to confirm it, after some years of my doctor just shrugging and telling me that, well, I might have done something, but hey I’m getting older, so what do I expect!
    The reality is, there isn’t much I can do, except live with it, keep using it, and take painkillers when needed.
    There are occasions when it’s really quite painful, and the control, seating and pedal layout on some vehicles causes me significant discomfort.
    I’m hoping it doesn’t go further, my mum suffered from arthritis, and it’s not something to have to look forward to.
    There’s some developing technology that might help in the future, 3D-printed plastic inserts that allow the natural supporting material in the knee joint to regrow, stem-cell regrowth, etc, so there may be hope.
    I try to stick with ibuprofen and voltarol, with Zapain codein/paracetamol tablets for occasions when things get a bit too uncomfortable, but I don’t want to overuse those.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Osteoarthritis- been diagnosed with a bit of it…’ is closed to new replies.