Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 12,715 total)
  • Osbourne says no to currency union.
  • bencooper
    Free Member

Why is it that England seems to own 100% of everything?

We’re a colony. England (or, more specifically, London) is the centre of the empire, bountifully handing out it’s largesse to the regions, and we should be grateful for what we get.

At least that’s the opinion of my English father-in-law (lives in Scotland, voting Yes).

winston_dog
    Free Member

if scotland needs to apply for reentry so will rUK, as they are also agreeing to a change in their national borders.

That isn’t actually true.

seosamh77
    Free Member

winston_dog – Member
    if scotland needs to apply for reentry so will rUK, as they are also agreeing to a change in their national borders.
    That isn’t actually true.

you don’t know that, as the uk government refuse to entertain the question. There is no precident for a member state amicably spliting.

It’s about as true as you telling us we’ll be frozen out of europe, which is ridiculous.

ninfan
    Free Member

We’ve got our 9% stake in the EU membership too.

Nope, you really haven’t!

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1wQfwihqwI[/video]

duckman

I’m confused Winston…A page ago you were saying that none of the military were staying. Now you are saying there will be so many staying we can’t afford them all? What is a poor confused “Jock” like me meant to think?
    As an aside, the likes of W-D fly into debates on the indy vote (he even started a thread on the use of the word Jock) What are you all so worried about? A lot of contributers in this thread make their distain for Scotland so obvious that the abusive husband comparison, albeit in poor taste,has it nailed. I really am curious as to why there is so much venom.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Funny to see wee eck’s sidekick’s desperate attempts to hide behind the cliches of bullying and intimidation again ithis morning.

So the SNP believes it is right and proper to lie to the population of Scotland. When the EU, the BOE, and senior politicians from all major parties point out the errors in what they are saying (the diplomatic description of bare faced lies) and explain the reality of the issues under consideration, it becomes bullying and intimidation.

Apparently some people fall for this BS.

They need a few teachers in there who know only too well how often the bullies are the ones who are crying bully themselves!!! The SNP is a prime example.

T1000
    Free Member

[OK, so humour me please. Explain how this parity is fixed and remains fixed between two economies moving relative to each other.

It’s called Pegging.. happens all the time.. See this link for brief details..

http://www.currencysolutions.co.uk/euro/why-are-some-currencies-pegged-to-the-euro-exchange-rate ]
    Pegging …. happens all the time … and has been instrumental in many financial disasters….. as a solution it sound simple however the risks of pegging to a floating currency are very significant

seosamh77
    Free Member

ninfan – Member
    Nope, you really haven’t!

That whole thing takes it from the stand point that it’s completely accepted that rUK would accert a right to be the continuing member state. Which tbh, would probably happen, but I doubt it wouldn’t be open to a legitimate legal challenge.

plus the guy all but admits it would be ridiculous for scotland not to be entered into europe, with our MEPs doubled. and also that rUKs voting powers and MEPs would also increase as a result(relative to current minus the scottish continignent.).

winston_dog
    Free Member

you telling us we’ll be frozen out of europe

I’m not Spain is.

AFAIK the EU have stated that the UK will not have to reapply if SCotland leaves.

oldbloke
    Free Member

plus the guy all but admits it would be ridiculous for scotland not to be entered into europe, with our MEPs doubled. and also that rUKs voting powers and MEPs would also increase as a result(relative to current minus the scottish continignent.).

No, he didn’t. He clearly said that MEP numbers are capped and for Scotland to rise, we’d need to negotiate other countries having fewer. He also made it clear there was no automatic right to join irrespective of how suitable Scotland might be as a member, that border controls would be necessary and that adoption of the Euro would be a legal requirement.

Northwind

seosamh77 – Member

What does that even mean? We seem to be on the same side but this almost made my head pop.

rebel12 – Member

But you can’t afford independence – that’s the whole point and there’s no use trying to claim otherwise or claiming anyone who uses this as an argument in anti Scotland. The ‘wish list’ just doesn’t stack up, simple as.

I guess this is exactly the sort of thing Grum doesn’t want me to rise to as it’s too obviously rubbish to even bother shooting down?

So is this but I can’t resist-

cranberry – Member
    The funny thing is that if the EU let them in they will be forced to take the Euro

everyone knows this is mince, but it’s the unsinkable rubber duck of Project Fear, people keep repeating it and if you repeat things often enough they mysteriously become accepted facts. How to join the EU without joining the euro- 1) agree convergence criteria, 2) don’t converge. Already openly established policy for EU members.

zippykona

That man in the video is extremely clever. He knew all the answers and didn’t get political once. Good on him.
    Anyway. So if Scotland wants the pound it means they don’t want to join Europe.
    But they do seem to want to join Europe which means taking the euro..
    Am I right? Has that solved it?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

people keep repeating it and if you repeat things often enough they mysteriously become accepted facts

The story for both sides of the fence here.

Northwind

zippykona – Member

But they do seem to want to join Europe which means taking the euro..

Hah, couldn’t have timed that better eh 😆 Cheers!

winston_dog
    Free Member

I’m confused Winston…A page ago you were saying that none of the military were staying.

I didn’t. I just said a lot of jobs would be lost with the reduction in the amount of military assets and personnel.

Now you are saying there will be so many staying we can’t afford them all?

Not sure where I said that either?

(he even started a thread on the use of the word Jock)

So what? That was a genuine question in response to another thread where someone got flamed for using it and he was surprised it had upset so many people. I was surprised how many sensitive souls there was. Nowt to do with independence.

distain for Scotland

Absolutely not. Just because I think the “Yes” voters are deluded doesn’t mean I think less of Scotland.
    I lived there for six years and loved a lot of it. What I didn’t like was a distinct minority that had an irrational dislike of the English and blamed “them” for loads of things.
    I still work a lot up there and with a lot of Jocks Scots in other places.

zippykona

North wind, thanks ,I think.
    If I was Scots I’d want my own country. Fair play and all that but I can see Scotland being one of those people who buy a banger and then keep knocking on your door every time it won’t start.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

people keep repeating it and if you repeat things often enough they mysteriously become accepted facts.

😀 You are learning my friend!!!! 😉

Talking of friends…..

http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/top-stories/scottish-independence-25-years-of-economic-misery-1-3295969?WT.mc_id=Outbrain_text&obref=obinsite

zippykona

So who was that guy in the video, who did he represent?
    If he was French would it be more believable?

winston_dog
    Free Member

Dr Jo Eric Khushal Murkens

Prof from the LSE

So he says:
    No automatic EU membership.
    If Scotland join then they must take the Euro.
    They also must sign up to Schengen, which means there will need to be Border Controls between Scotland and England.

But what would he know?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Dear Nicola, bless her, out threatening technical default again today. She does a great impression of someone who has no idea about how global financial markets work or of Scotlands on-going borrowing needs. And folk want people like her running an independent country!!!!!

seosamh77
    Free Member

Northwind – Member

What does that even mean? We seem to be on the same side but this almost made my head pop.Means that chance of us getting papped out of Europe are nil.

rebel12
    Free Member

A lot of contributers in this thread make their distain for Scotland so obvious that the abusive husband comparison, albeit in poor taste,has it nailed. I really am curious as to why there is so much venom

There’s no venom intended, any jokes or comments from my side are tongue in cheek. Take it how you want though? It’s just a lot of people on here seem to slate anyone putting forward a reasoned argument of why independence is a bad idea as somehow ‘having a dig at the poor Scots’. Interpret this as you will.

rebel12 – Member

But you can’t afford independence – that’s the whole point and there’s no use trying to claim otherwise or claiming anyone who uses this as an argument in anti Scotland. The ‘wish list’ just doesn’t stack up, simple as.

I guess this is exactly the sort of thing Grum doesn’t want me to rise to as it’s too obviously rubbish to even bother shooting down?

Why is it rubbish, because it doesn’t fit with your view of things? Do you really believe all the bulls**t spouted in the white paper? If this is wrong please enlighten us all as to where the money will come from to fullfil all the promises on the wishlist. I’m open ears 🙂

Junkyard
    Free Member

She does a great impression of someone who has no idea about how global financial markets work

She is fully qualified to call herself an economist then 😉

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I think there is little venom towards Scotland or Scots but a lot (correctly IMO) directed towards wee eck’s BS (and Sturgeon’s). Strip them away and have a reasonable discussion about devolving more power to Holyrood and it would be a flier IMO. Sadly, the wrong captain leading the wrong arguments resulting in the wrong conclusion. Scotland deserves much better than AS.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Rebel12 I don’t know if you’ve read any of the other numerous threads on the subject of the referendum, but most of the Yes are posting opinion, or facts without any venom or ridicule or anything else unwanted. We all know that the white paper is an SNP manifesto rather than a defined and binding blue print. We all know that things cant and wont change over night and we also know that things being said now by both parties will change as soon as the vote happens.

As far as I can tell you’ve stormed in to this thread with a load of unsubstantiated, vitriol and venom. It does indeed come across as having a dig, intended or not.

I can’t be arsed going through the whole debate that we’ve already had several times before again, but as I, and many other people have said, Scotland can afford to be independent, wont turn into a 3rd world country and will be able to afford the things in the white paper due to cuts, savings, taxes and policy that we will have control of.

dazzlingboy

Spending billions on nuclear weapons and fancy fighter jets while people need food banks – it’s the kind of thing we used to complain about African dictators doing,

This and a hundred other posts like it. This is why many sensible people (i.e. not Braveheart clad extremists) want independence. So we don’t p1ss away money on crap no-one wants or needs in this Century (not just military spending, but lots of examples of that ilk) but on improving the country and the society we live in.

piemonster

Couple of sensible posts there

bencooper
    Free Member

Scotland deserves much better than AS.

Perhaps. But a lot of Scots voted for him, and he’s probably the most capable politician in the UK at the moment.

But that’s okay – after independence we can vote him out if someone better comes along. That’s the nice thing about independence – it’ll be up to us.

duckman

There’s no venom intended, any jokes or comments from my side are tongue in cheek. Take it how you want though? It’s just a lot of people on here seem to slate anyone putting forward a reasoned argument of why independence is a bad idea as somehow ‘having a dig at the poor Scots’. Interpret this as you will.

Nice try, the Edinburgh defence as it is is known here. S’funny that this thread is in the minority in that it is started by a pro-Indy supporter. Normally we have crackers likes Zokes explaining why the rest of the UK should have a vote as well, threads expressing wonder that we might object to being referred to as Jocks,despite the OP living up here for 6 years…All to stir up a wee bit of animosity.I really don’t know why you all care so much,especially if as both you and he claim, we do so well out of the union. Would you not be better cutting us lose and getting a couple of p of the base rate?

Junkyard
    Free Member

I think there is little venom towards Scotland or Scots but a lot (correctly IMO) directed towards wee eck’s BS (and Sturgeon’s).

What that says is that you dont like them

I am not sure that the points coming from the UK govt are things that we should all respect

Strip them away and have a reasonable discussion about devolving more power to Holyrood and it would be a flier IMO.

What CMD would turn up and debate then?

Sadly, the wrong captain leading the wrong arguments resulting in the wrong conclusion. Scotland deserves much better than AS.

What shame you cannot respect the electoral wishes of the scottish people in terms of whom they elected and instead choose to snipe from england about their choice. Amusingly you snipe like this do whilst wanting a better debate LOLZ at the irony. Is it not clear that what they want and what you want are not the same thing hence why they have elected him again?

Ps some ace sniping there you have really helped move the debate along into the respectful and informed [ same applies to me to be fair]

I have never got the hatred for him tbh – he has almost achieved his political dream and he has been a leader of his nation with immense popularity. he has used the ballot box and he has achieved real tangible progress for his cause. He is clearly very capable and popular.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Duckman – why do we care? That should be very obvious, these decisions have far reaching consequences for people outside Scotland and as we have seen this month when AS and NS spout BS about financial markets and debt then rUK have to react – hence last month’s statement that debt would be honoured. That is being responsible. Look how you feel when comments and decisions made outside Scotland affect you. The rUK are just the same.

From a selfish perspective, I may well be returning to Scotland to live and hence I would like to see the country’s best interest served.

Ben clearly a lot of people voted for him. That is their prerogative. Equally more Scots are currently saying that they disagree with him on this issue. As you say, that’s the beauty of Independence, it’s up to them and the message so far is relatively clear. Your fellow countrymen are very canny – great place to be educated!!!!

bencooper – Member
    he’s probably the most capable politician in the UK at the moment.

So capable that he was outmanoeuvred on the correct question after all this time. I thought you were also able to vote him out under the current situation. Has Scotland become a totalitarian state and no one has noticed?!?!

Northwind

Ah, we’ve reached the point in the thread where THM starts using multiple punctation marks, excellent!&%

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

…and like the quotes “repeated” (hint) above, good to see that you are joining me 😉

Funny comment in the FT debate today

Report Deveron | February 12 2:40pm | Permalink

@Derek
    Sturdy

You’re making the mistake of many english observers and conflating “Scotland” with the “SNP”. A large number of scots, possibly the majority, are actively hostile to the SNP and will not necessarily consider english politicians rebuking Salmond and Sturgeon as “bullying”.

In the 2010 general election the SNP got 19% of the vote vs the scottish conservatives’ 16%. You wouldnt necessarily know those percentages listening to our self-appointed tribunes, Salmond and Spurgeon.

oldbloke
    Free Member

You’ll not see me rushing to defend Salmond or the SNP THM, but rather more relevant to this debate is the 45% won in the 2011 Scottish Parliament election. Whether you believe that’s down to support for the SNP or voting against the Lib Dems for joining the Tories in 2010 or something else, it makes equating SNP votes with independence votes less than clear.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

In the 2010 general election the SNP got 19% of the vote vs the scottish conservatives’ 16%. You wouldnt necessarily know those percentages listening to our self-appointed tribunes, Salmond and Spurgeon.

Someone tried quoting that number on here a while back and was rightly told it wasn’t really very relevant. You don’t need me to tell you why.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

They did very well in that election true. I am sure there were lots if reasons why. And tbc, I am not actually equating SNP votes with independence either. It’s pretty clear as my previous post shows – there is a gap between votes cast for the SNP and polls re independence – so sorry, do not understand the point. Excuse me.

WNB, blame that on me copying too much of someone else’s post on the FT today. Not my comments – hence the quote box.

althepal

So in the elections for the Uk parliament(?) they got 19% and the Tories got % 16?
    How did the Tories fare in the Scottish elections?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Poorly. I refer you to my previous answer about someone else’s post! Can’t edit to remove confusion now.

oldbloke
    Free Member

[/quote]So in the elections for the Uk parliament(?) they got 19% and the Tories got % 16?
    How did the Tories fare in the Scottish elections?

Not quite. They got 19% of the Scottish votes in the 2010 election. Labour still got somethiing like 40%, from memory.

do not understand the point. Excuse me It related to the 2nd para you quoted. I read you implied 19% wasn’t a basis to speak for Scotland. No matter I dislike the speaker, 45% is.

llama

Dear Scotland

Don’t leave us this way
    We can’t survive, we can’t stay alive
    Without you love, oh Scotland
    Don’t leave us this way
    We can’t exist, I will surely miss
    Your tender kiss
    So don’t leave us this way

aaaaaaaaaaaaaah Scotland!

ps take Jimmy Somerville with you

bye

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 12,715 total)

The topic ‘Osbourne says no to currency union.’ is closed to new replies.