Viewing 40 posts - 1,481 through 1,520 (of 12,715 total)
  • Osbourne says no to currency union.
  • bencooper
    Free Member

think people are underestimating the depth of feeling towards the concept..

I think people underestimate how sensible and balanced most people in the rUK are about currency union – more than 70% think it’s a good idea:

http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/top-stories/independent-scotland-should-keep-pound-ruk-poll-1-3249717

piemonster

There’s been a lot of propaganda since that poll was conducted.

http://yougov.co.uk/news/2014/02/16/opposition-currency-union-rises-sharply-england-an/

bencooper
    Free Member

Ah, strike my last comment then – I guess I was being optimistic about how sensible and balanced rUK people are 😉

Interesting that Gideon’s intervention hardened attitudes both sides of the border – was that the intention, you think?

piemonster

Wouldn’t surprise me.

Leaves room for more hard nosed negotiations before the elections.

aracer
    Free Member

I think people underestimate how sensible and balanced most people in the rUK are about currency union – more than 70% think it’s a good idea

I suspect something like 90% didn’t understand the question they were being asked (it’s not like it was the tightest worded question 🙄 ) and assumed it meant Scotland continuing to use a pound which was under the control of rUK, that and/or they didn’t actually understand the implications and risks of a currency union. The only alternative being that they’re pretty stupid given the almost unanimous expert opinions on the matter.

I did find this gem amongst the comments on that disingenuous Wyllie article:

without Scotland and Monetary Union, Sterling is likely to collapse

😆

athgray
    Free Member

I am waiting for the reasoning that if you vote no you are not in support of a currency union.

seosamh77
    Free Member

whatnobeer – Member
    crums, 42 pages. Can somebody summarise for me
    Scotland should have a currency union/shouldnt have a currency union
    Scotland can keep the pound/cant keep the pound
    Scotland will be in the EU/Wont be in the EU
    Scotland will have to use the Euro/wont have to use the Euro
    Haggis, Darien scheme, Alex Salmond, Gideon, Cameron, via the BBC and the New York Times. Polical satire. Jocks.

haha aye, pretty much that every 2 pages.

Pretty much the only people that care about these issue are English singletrackers from what I can tell! 😀

bencooper
    Free Member

This is true. Pretty much nobody I talk to about it in real life even mention the pound, EU etc. it’s all about self determination.

aracer
    Free Member

Maybe we’re only interested in the issues which are likely to affect us. By the sounds of things, the Scottish don’t care about the actual issues, simply where the decisions are made.

codybrennan
    Free Member

Prediction: Scotland will be ‘granted’ a formal currency union in return for a (quietly pre-arranged) share of the debt.

Assumption: as the election draws closer, if the polls show further movement towards “yes”, messengers will be dispatched from both camps to negotiate.

Osborne is many things but not daft. Its in the rump’s best interest to maintain the current arrangements as closely as possible. This is the best option for doing so.

Its called politics 🙂

bencooper
    Free Member

Maybe we’re only interested in the issues which are likely to affect us. By the sounds of things, the Scottish don’t care about the actual issues, simply where the decisions are made.

Perhaps because we understand that, without the ability to rule ourselves, we’ll never be able to sort out the issues.

Junkyard
    Free Member

so one can only conclude that he is being deliberately deceitful.

Is this in comparison to all the honest politicians we can all admire?

Genuine question alert
    If Scotland used the pound could this make the pound more unstable/have consequences for rUK? If so would some form of arrangement not be prudent?

the Scottish don’t care about the actual issues, simply where the decisions are made.

applies equally to the anti EU lot would you not say ? not saying it is admirable but it is what people do

bencooper
    Free Member

The issues don’t matter. The fundamental question is would Scotland survive and thrive as an independent country? Pretty much everyone on both sides agrees yes.

The issues are temporary – currency, EU, whatever – they’ll be sorted out or changed beyond recognition in 20, 50, 100 years. So ignore the issues, the real point is whether Scotland should be governed by people elected by the people of a Scotland. Decide that fundamental issue, and we can then work on the rest.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

So ignore the issues, the real point is whether Scotland should be governed by people elected by the people of a Scotland. Decide that fundamental issue, and we can then work on the rest.

I think you are right Scotland by it’s self determination leaves the EU and the 75% of legislation that gets created there for local implementation. You Scots then get to decide which laws you want to enact rather than faceless eurocrats in another country 😉

Junkyard
    Free Member

Ben please stay we want your oil and a Wimbledon champion like you, we can still be friends [ Dave told me to say this*]….just accept having tory governments and take one for the team {UK] wont you….**** selfish scots eh**

* Bowie or cameron take your pick 😉

** I am not steve Bell 😛

bencooper
    Free Member

You want to know what really scares me about independence?

Really, desperately worries me?

What keeps me up at night?

What if there’s an import tax on Eccles cakes?

I don’t know how I’d cope.

zippykona

How exactly did the Scots wangle a vote?
    “Dear Mr Cameron can we have a vote and **** off with all the oil?”
    ” Why yes ,Mr Salmond ,by all means”
    Something doesn’t add up to me. Who would want to be the prime minister that lost the union? What does CMD gain from this?
    I can’t see a Tory landslide forever as if anything ever goes wrong it will be easy for Labour to blame it on the Tories giving away Scotland.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Your worries are over BEN as I will smuggle them in for equal weight in Plain bread and or sugar rolls

fasternotfatter
    Free Member

So if Scotland don’t get the currency union they won’t take any debt. I guess that means they don’t get any of the gold reserves in the bank of England then or we give them less of a share of something else.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Sturgeon v Lamont square go, live on STV right now! 😀

seosamh77
    Free Member

So if Scotland don’t get the currency union they won’t take any debt. I guess that means they don’t get any of the gold reserves in the bank of England then or we give them less of a share of something else.

That the point, if England decides it owns the whole of the pound, it would obviously follow that they think they own the rest of the assets. So no assets for scotland, no debt. The converse is also applies, ie we’ll take our share of the debt, assuming England wants to split all the assets fairly.

Why is that so difficult to understand?

Junkyard
    Free Member

In some areas the law applies – though of course politicians can fudge anything

For example the debt belongs to the UK and as rUK keeps the UK bit – EU, UN security council etc it is LEGALLY liable for this – A New Scotland is not. Similarly oil lies within the territorial waters of scotland so it is theirs.

Your right though broadly they will haggle over everything- if you do this we will do that and if you get this we want that etc.

No one can predict what the outcome will be hence this debate will go on [and on]

airtragic
    Free Member

Apologies if this has been done as I couldn’t be bothered to wade through all 43 pages, but regarding the military, this chap dissects the planned split quite nicely and dispassionately. As with so many things, the devil is in the detail, which is why I’m always suspicious when people say things like “we just take 9% of the assets and people, simple” (I’m paraphrasing there).

Navy:
    http://thinpinstripedline.blogspot.co.uk/2013/11/assessment-on-proposals-for-scottish.html

Air Force:
    http://thinpinstripedline.blogspot.co.uk/2013/11/assessment-on-proposals-for-scottish_30.html

When you consider that that’s just the MOD, and think of all the other agencies of state that similar difficulties would apply to, don’t you think it’s a bit TFD? I realise that’s a negative argument, but you will not achieve the dream if you bankrupt yourself in the process!

whatnobeer
    Free Member

The best thing I’ve read on the issue today:

An Open Letter to England (And Wales and NI)

bencooper
    Free Member

Regarding the military, I don’t think it’s as simple as “we’ll take 9%” – as those analyses show, it’s not that easy. The UK as a whole wastes huge amounts of money trying to keep those silly toys at sea and in the air, I don’t think an independent Scotland should even bother. Problem is, we need to deal with the MOD equipment as it exists,

So probably better to let us take the 9%, we’ll flog it to the Saudis, buy a couple of fishery patrol boats and some small cheap aircraft, and use the rest of the money to build some hospitals. At least that’d be my preference.

aracer
    Free Member

😆 – you forgot to call the currency an asset.

You are Alex Salmond and I claim my £5 (that’s 5 of our English pounds, backed by a lender of last resort, not some Scottish currency linked to it, please)

applies equally to the anti EU lot would you not say ?[/quote]

😀 as far as most of those anti the EU, yes you’re probably right – for those of us prepared to look at the real issues I’d argue there is no hypocrisy in being pro a union which works, and anti one which is massively corrupt and mired in bureaucracy (don’t even suggest that Westminster compares).

Do remember to discount the oil revenues when looking that far into the future.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I’d argue there is no hypocrisy in being pro a union which works, and anti one which is massively corrupt and mired in bureaucracy (don’t even suggest that Westminster compares).

TBH I did not even mean it like that or mean to bring that up tbh.

What it shows is that folk dont like being ruled from afar and having other countries standards applied to them be it prisoners voting or bedroom taxes.

The english like the one they impose on and not the one they are a player in; I think you can work out which one they think works 😛

bencooper
    Free Member

@whatnobeer – that’s a really good article, thanks.

Do remember to discount the oil revenues when looking that far into the future.

I do, but hopefully the oil fund will still be going then. That’s the clever thing about an oil fund, it lasts beyond the oil. But even if Scotland squanders the oil revenue just like the UK has, we’ve got other strong industries. We’ll be fine.

seosamh77
    Free Member

we’ll flog it to the Saudis.

by my reckoning if we don’t get a fair share of the assets, we just simplly punt the existing trident to either north korea or iran for an over inflated price! 😆

aracer
    Free Member

TBH I did not even mean it like that or mean to bring that up

I understood what you meant, and agreed with you, but couldn’t resist the supplementary 😉

bencooper
    Free Member

by my reckoning if we don’t get a fair share of the assets, we just simplly punt the existing trident to either north korea or iran for an over inflated price!

Yup, plus there’s a bunch of slightly used nuclear hunter-killers at Rosyth, which any third-world dictator would be happy to have.

Oh, and most of a state-of-the-art aircraft carrier – some assembly required 😉

seosamh77
    Free Member

bencooper – Member
    by my reckoning if we don’t get a fair share of the assets, we just simplly punt the existing trident to either north korea or iran for an over inflated price!
    Yup, plus there’s a bunch of slightly used nuclear hunter-killers at Rosyth, which any third-world dictator would be happy to have.

Oh, and most of a state-of-the-art aircraft carrier – some assembly required We should get a fair price for all the arms stockpiled in glen douglas as well. 😆

Fair auld earner to be had out of an independent scotland! 😀

aracer
    Free Member

I do, but hopefully the oil fund will still be going then. That’s the clever thing about an oil fund, it lasts beyond the oil. But even if Scotland squanders the oil revenue just like the UK has, we’ve got other strong industries. We’ll be fine.

Well at least you’d squander it on tuition fees and prescription charges (not meant as a dig BTW). The thing is, there’s nothing particularly magical about oil as a source of revenue to build a wealth fund – currently the oil revenues cover the difference between what you pay in taxes and what you spend (well most of – clearly you still have a deficit). In order to build up a wealth fund you’d need to either increase taxes or cut what you spend. I got the impression the realistic chance for that had gone in the 80s, though I’m far from an expert and could be wrong – but the point about changing the way your finances works remains.

You have quite a strong financial industry though, you’ll be fine…

Trekster

Will all our **ck** up roads magically be repaired by our new voted for by “us” government?
    How many new civil service jobs will be created(gravy train)to service New Scotland?
    How will the new super duper Scottish gov fix al the stuff they have already **ck*** up like health, police! education , councils etc.
    Will council tax stay frozen?
    Will we still be able to afford free prescriptions, eye tests and bus passes?
    Will something be done about the wind farm scandal currently making the news re payments for down time and the thousands of acres of carbon sucking trees that have been destroyed to satisfy another AS pet project?

Then there is the white elephant that is Holyrood which will probably become “not fit for purpose” ie grande enough for AS/NS and their hangers on!!

Too many people getting hung up on oil and the £ and ignoring all the other stuff that makes the country tick

Junkyard
    Free Member

your one of those undecided floating voters aren’t you 🙂

duckman

Oh, and most of a state-of-the-art aircraft carrier – some assembly required

😀

bencooper
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBH55ZeZU4w[/video]

😯
    😆

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

No wonder that AS is considered a heavyweight when you listen to Lamont and Sturgeon in that STV debate. What happened to women bringing a better tone to the level of political debate? 😉

You have to love the graphic used by STV, with a bright light in the narrow central zone contrasting with the rest of Scotland in relative darkness. Is that foreshadowing what might be to come?!? A very appropriate background for the debate.

FG
    Free Member

The best thing I’ve read on the issue today:

An Open Letter to England (And Wales and NI)
    This is yet another article that wrongly thinks institutions are assets.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

This is yet another article that wrongly thinks institutions are assets.

To the man on the street though, it doesn’t matter. It captures how a lot of people feel about the whole situation and tactics being used to try and swing the vote to the No side.

Viewing 40 posts - 1,481 through 1,520 (of 12,715 total)

The topic ‘Osbourne says no to currency union.’ is closed to new replies.