Viewing 40 posts - 10,601 through 10,640 (of 12,715 total)
  • Osbourne says no to currency union.
  • ninfan
    Free Member

So, if you vote Yes you can look forward to a divided country, torn apart by an irreconcilable rift between those who wanted to leave, and those who wanted to stay, for the next hundred plus years?

franksinatra

Yep, that is great. Quote what Westminster did 100 years ago as ‘evidence’. Top quality debating that.

franksinatra

I feel sick to pit of my stomach at the thought of a Yes vote next week. I really cannot believe the amount of risk people are prepared to take on.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

I feel sick to pit of my stomach at the thought of a Yes vote next week. I really cannot believe the amount of risk people are prepared to take on.

Whereas around 51% of the electorate are of this mindset: I feel sick to pit of my stomach at the thought of a No vote next week. I really cannot believe the amount of risk people are prepared to take on.

There are risks on both sides, there are only hopes on one side. I like to have a potential positive change as the outcome.

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

That is a fair bit of twisting there

Not as much as all that twisting of union flag patterned knickers that’s going on. On this page alone

So, if you vote Yes you can look forward to a divided country, torn apart by an irreconcilable rift between those who wanted to leave, and those who wanted to stay, for the next hundred plus years?

Dearie me I can feel the angst from up here

athgray
    Free Member

wanmankylung. Even if the effect is minimal, I hope to still be able to cast a vote that may help the poorest in the UK not just Scotland. Again if there is no hope for the UK are you turning your back on the needy?

Ninfan, any rift cannot be irreconcilable. We will have to get on whatever the result.

epicyclo

franksinatra – Member
    Yep, that is great. Quote what Westminster did 100 years ago as ‘evidence’. Top quality debating that.

Just showing the leopard hasn’t changed it’s spots. They did the same much more recently to Scotland.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Again if there is no hope for the UK are you turning your back on the needy?

Not at all. By showing people that there is a better way to do things it’ll cause massive political change in rUK and things may well sort themselves out there too with any luck.

Voting Yes is about hope for a better future, not fear that things will get worse. Sometimes in life you just have to go with your hopes.

piemonster

wanmankylung. Even if the effect is minimal, I hope to still be able to cast a vote that may help the poorest in the UK not just Scotland. Again if there is no hope for the UK are you turning your back on the needy?

In some respects I agree that we shouldn’t be pursuing divisive actions and turning our back on the poor of the rUK.

But.

Giving a vote if confidence to a political system that is already failing the poor and rewarding the old boys club is not going to help either.

brooess
    Free Member

Voting Yes is about hope for a better future, not fear that things will get worse. Sometimes in life you just have to go with your hopes.

I agree with that sentiment but for something so major as splitting the union, I can’t quite understand why there hasn’t been more demand from the electorate for figures, forecasts, some kind of fact-based business case to base those hopes on (and hold your leaders to if they renege on their promises)…

bencooper
    Free Member

Of all the bad arguments urging the Scots to vote no – and there are plenty – perhaps the worst is the demand that Scotland should remain in the union to save England from itself. Responses to my column last week suggest this wretched apron-strings argument has some traction among people who claim to belong to the left.

Consider what it entails: it asks a nation of 5.3 million to forgo independence to exempt a nation of 54 million from having to fight its own battles. In return for this self-denial, the five million must remain yoked to the dismal politics of cowardice and triangulation that cause the problems from which we ask them to save us.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/sep/09/yes-vote-in-scotland-most-dangerous-thing-of-all-hope

wanmankylung
    Free Member

brooess – in an ideal world without politicians we would have that. However, we have a bunch of clowns running the place and those clown’s favourites game is playing politics when we need facts. I’m basing my decision on which side I distrust least.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

whatnobeer – Member
    Particularly given you still don’t seem to understand the concept of CU
    I understand it fine thanks, and THM comments on what would be required were exactly the point I was trying to make. If BT published that lot, fiscal and political union then not only would be their position be crystal clear, Salmond would be forced to change his approach it it would be be very obvious that agreeing to a CU would require giving up an awful lot of the new found freedom. The “our pounds too” line would fall over too as it would be clear than the UK would ‘share the pound’ but the cost of doing so would make the proposition unappealing.

Greta post WNB, blimey we are all getting closer all of a sudden!! I know it probably came over a bit arsey talking about dinner with MPs, but this is linked. My point to them was why not take each of AS BS ideas one by one and address clearly and simply. Force a real debate around the facts not the BS in the BoD. I found it really frustrating that the modern tactic (from the US) is simply not to do this.

I think this is a major error – why do we assume that Americans get these things right? Ok, we have a bit of banter in here (largely in fun) but there are very serious issues that need to be addressed. They have been consumed in lies and deceit and yet the BT side is scared to engage on them. This is modern politics exemplified by the inability of mainstream politicians to engage with vaguely populist BS. They are trapped and don’t know what to do.

We are left to the Governor of the BOE and others to try and have a clear debate, but even then the DO smothers the debate. Mark Carney’s comments today will be largely ignored I would imagine.

This is serious, it’s not student politics anymore. The reaction of financial markets already is sending a clear message. Proper issues need proper debate. This is an appaling example of democratic deficit, forget an underrepresented Scotland, significant harm is being caused in the basis of a lack of lies. History will not be kind on those involved.

aracer
    Free Member

Just in passing but linked to the THM’s post, I had an interesting discussion with TJ about all this today (yes he is still watching us), and whilst we disagree on much, we did agree that the No campaign has been a complete shambles.

athgray
    Free Member

ben, if a central core argument is our identity, and the connections we have to those around us, I am not talking as someone that thinks our country is here to help another. We help each other. I understand this may sound a bit wooly.

I feel as well as the bad, there are great things about the UK, not least the ethnic and cultural diversity. Say what you like, but the UK has been pretty welcoming to immigrants.

I feel at times a bit Scottish, a bit British, a bit European but not a strong sense of nation to any. I have spoken to plenty of Yes voters with what seems quite a one dimensional view of this. Even you have commented in cold clinical terms about the UK. To some it is more than just a place on a map.

I saw an article that says the UK is an island not an identity. We are free to choose the identity we want after independence.

I was a bit miffed at being told what constitutes national identity and when I am allowed to feel it.

Where as the hopeless No campaign talk of trying to persuade the majority of Scots to vote No, Salmond professes Scots WILL vote Yes, in a tone that makes you feel you should.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

I think this is a major error – why do we assume that Americans get these things right? Ok, we have a bit of banter in here (largely in fun) but there are very serious issues that need to be addressed. They have been consumed in lies and deceit and yet the BT side is scared to engage on them. This is modern politics exemplified by the inability of mainstream politicians to engage with vaguely populist BS. They are trapped and don’t know what to do.

I think the major error is the lack of a positive commentary on the Union and what makes the UK a great place to be (yes it could be better, but it’s a lot better than a lot of places).

I was in Inverness today and a Yes voter was commenting that the area essentially has full employment and in his words “those who aren’t in work probably don’t want to”. Sounds like there is a success story to talk about. Yes it isn’t the same everywhere in Scotland or rUK but it still is a success story

The Americanisation of the BT campaign is probably a product of the Americanisation of the Labour central political machine

arguably the “yes” campaign is largely predicated as a “anti politics as they are now” essentially the same message that UKIP campaign on

dazh

More from Monbiot… http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/sep/09/yes-vote-in-scotland-most-dangerous-thing-of-all-hope

Pretty much sums up my own opinions on this. Whatever the whys and wherefores and practicalities, the crux of it is that it’s an opportunity to change things. The scots can either take that opportunity or stick with more of the same. I know what I’d do.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

People were seduced by debt and the economic mirage based in leverage and advanced consumption. And they gorged in it with glee. Now it’s payback time. Cold turkey is never easy and so to refute a “anything but what we have just been through” narrative is very difficult especially for three parties who spend their lives opposing anyone. Give a junky one last shot rather than cold turkey and what will he chose? It’s obvious. The cold hard fact of economic reality don’t feature in peoples wish list.

And now we have the unedifying prospect of all three parties bending over backwards like bad parent stopping a spoilt brat from crying by giving into the demand for more sweets. The resulting vomit will be colourful and plentiful.

aracer
    Free Member

Whatever the whys and wherefores and practicalities, the crux of it is that it’s an opportunity to change things.

Let’s do it.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Dezh, the biggest disappoint of all is how little anything will change. That is a pipe dream. Policies will be set by Westminster but without your input, you will still have the same quality if MSPs in Holyrood, you will still have nukes (albeit you won’t know where they are), your will still have pressure on public services, austerity and a threat to pensions. On top if that the Do is even throwing in some ultra RW policies. The starch is flying in leith tonight!

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

The Americanisation of the BT campaign is probably a product of the Americanisation of the Labour central political machine

It was the senior Tory who was commenting and complaining about it, so not just a labour issue. The lab guy was more accepting though, true.

aracer
    Free Member

arguably the “yes” campaign is largely predicated as a “anti politics as they are now” essentially the same message that UKIP campaign on

You’ve been watching Nick Robinson on BBC news? He suggested something very similar, and commented that the people voting for that reason were very unpredictable!

big_n_daft
    Free Member

And now we have the unedifying prospect of all three parties bending over backwards like bad parent stopping a spoilt brat from crying by giving into the demand for more sweets. The resulting vomit will be colourful and plentiful.

which I think is going to be counter productive because the narrative was lost 18 months ago when the opportunity to set a “yes” vote as a negative destructive activity

I was asked by 3 “yes” voters “what does England think of this” and spent five minutes explaining that England isn’t an amorphous blob but a set of quite clear regional identities each of which will have their own take on the issue

You’ve been watching Nick Robinson on BBC news? He suggested something very similar, and commented that the people voting for that reason were very unpredictable!

probably, and I feel he is right, hence the disaster of the “no” campaign and their nit picking negative campaign rather than a positive one looking at what Scotland contributes to the Union and the Union to Scotland

konabunny
    Free Member

Whatever the whys and wherefores and practicalities, the crux of it is that it’s an opportunity to change things. The scots can either take that opportunity or stick with more of the same.

something needs to happen, this is something, therefore it needs to happen.

Alex Salmond is an even less convincing hopey-changey Barack Obama figure than Barack Obama was!

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Quite KB, you don’t hear so much YES WE CAN these days more WTF, this wasn’t what we signed up for!

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Quite KB, you don’t hear so much YES WE CAN these days more WTF, this wasn’t what we signed up for!

I was impressed by the former Westminister politician criticising the Westminister elite he was a member of and will be drawing his pension from in a few years

aracer
    Free Member

I suspect my “lets do it” was too cryptic – though I had posted that with the first two parts of the “haiku” earlier, so I thought somebody might get it.

epicyclo

8 days for THM to get ready for the vomiting 🙂

Whichever way the vote goes, I don’t think I’d like to be a party hack type politician in Scotland. I’ve never seen so much widespread grass-roots activity before.

There’s less tame sheep, and politicians are not going to get an easy ride if they don’t deliver. So that’s got to be good.

One consequence of a No vote may well be the replacement of Scotland’s entire population of LibDem MPs and a considerable number of the Labour MPs replaced with SNP MPs. After all if 49% of the population has abandoned its usual voting pattern for independence, they’ll probably keep voting for the party that supports it.

That could mean a substantial bloc of Scottish SNP MPs. If the next GE is like the last, then I can see some interesting permutations for coalitions.

Now, about that Lothian question?…. 🙂

konabunny
    Free Member

what do we want?

aye!

when do we want it?

the noo!

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

epicyclo – Member
    8 days for THM to get ready for the vomiting

It will take a bit longer than that to fully digest and regurgitate 😉

gordimhor

Och 😆

kjcc25
    Free Member

The more I read the comments on here the more it sounds like the basis of the yes vote is just a protest vote against the present state of the UK. Yes we are going through a bad patch at the moment but all this in fighting is going to do is more damage to the future of both the UK and Scotland. It will take even longer to recover, if ever.

The SNP is no different to UKIP, both nationalist parties based on fear and hatred, with charismatic leaders who promise a land of milk and honey. Please don’t be taken in by it.

konabunny
    Free Member

The SNP is no different to UKIP, both nationalist parties based on fear and hatred,

this is complete unmitigated bollocks.

bencooper
    Free Member

We’re not voting for the SNP. The ballot question is whether Scotland should be independent, that’s it. Once we’re independent we can elect anyone we want – it might be instructive to look at the makeup of previous Scottish parliaments (not this one, it’s skewed by a protest vote for the SNP). We’ll have a parliament of Labour, Tories, Lib Dem, SNP, SSP, Greens, etc.

For some people it might be a protest vote against the state of the UK – and that’s a valid point of view, especially if you think the UK is on a path that’s going to continue so just voting Labour won’t help. For others (like me) it’s not about the current UK government, it’s about the next UK government and the ones after that, and about building a fairer society.

Oh, and getting rid of the WMDs – that’s pretty important too.

molgrips
    Free Member

about building a fairer society

So you’re taking whatever’s offered and just hoping that it’s the right thing. Hmm ok 🙂

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Radio Scotland this morning

Prime Minister David Cameron will make an impassioned plea for Scotland to stay in the union. Writing in this morning’s Daily Mail..

Gaun Yersel’ Davie – really don’t get it do you?

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

o you’re taking whatever’s offered and just hoping that it’s the right thing. Hmm ok

..as opposed to taking what we know to be unfair in the safe and secure knowledge that it will never change for the better? Hmmm ok 😕

gordimhor

No molgrips we’re learning from the past and looking to shape our own future by taking control in our own hands and if the political parties don’t match up we’ll dump them at the next Scottish election.

jambalaya
    Free Member

The UK is in better shape than Spain, Italy, France, Portugal … in fact the left leaning countries are in the worst shape as they have the most bloated debt burdens.

If people are voting to remove the political elite you are going to be very disappointed with what replaces Westminster. Politicians are politicians the world over.

An independent Scotland is going to find it much more difficult to support the needy than it seems to realise. I strongly suspect an iS will have a smaller welfare budget per head than does the UK.

kjcc25
    Free Member

this is complete unmitigated bollocks.

SNP is not a national party ok!

SNP loves Westnminster ok!

Viewing 40 posts - 10,601 through 10,640 (of 12,715 total)

The topic ‘Osbourne says no to currency union.’ is closed to new replies.