Viewing 40 posts - 10,361 through 10,400 (of 12,715 total)
  • Osbourne says no to currency union.
  • jambalaya
    Free Member

And the pound immediately tanked. Clever move, George

Chapeau to you @ben on that one but the pound is falling as a breakup is negative for the UK (and worse for Scotland FWIW)

@duckman I am sorry you think my comments are sniping, just trying to add something to the discussion

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

nnfan

i see your media mogul whose empire gives him access into most people’s lives and raise you one mass-murdering dictator who overthrew the elected government, banned opposition and used “disappearances” and torture to hold on to power

jambalaya
    Free Member

@BigBut – a co-incidence the YouGov poll was paid for by the Murdoch press ? I think not.

konabunny
    Free Member

The intimidation of no voters I know. It’s not the “vote yes or i’ll smash yer pus”. It’s the overbearing sense of moral high ground they perceive to eminate from someYes campaigners/voters.

if being patronized from the moral high ground by smug bores was intimidation, STW would be one of the scariest sites on the internet. I think you’re being a bit precious.

#meta

epicyclo

jambalaya – Member
    Just spoke to my Scottish colleague, he says his friends and family North of the border say if you are a No voter you keep quiet as otherwise the intimidation is significant. He also said the divisions between the two camps are very deep, whatever the result these are not going to heal quickly.

I’m sorry, but that’s utter bollocks.

It’s typical of what is coming from south of the border. It’s not evident here.

What divisions? The only thing we’re arguing over is what’s best for Scotland and its people. We all share a desire to get what’s best for Scotland, so in that we have a common purpose.

The police chiefs have published a letter to the effect that they are not seeing any signs of this after Project Fear tried once again to whip up some imaginary signs of conflict.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

@ jam – Who knows?

mt
    Free Member

A no vote on a Free Yorkshire would give to a right clogging.

piemonster

if being patronized from the moral high ground by smug bores was intimidation, STW would be one of the scariest sites on the internet. I think you’re being a bit precious.

#meta

😆 😀

Northwind

jambalaya – Member

Just spoke to my Scottish colleague, he says his friends and family North of the border say if you are a No voter you keep quiet as otherwise the intimidation is significant.

Possibly there’s a perception gap for many, on account of things like getting hit with an egg being news for a week, whereas a 60 year old man getting beaten up in the street barely merits a mention. All the actual researched, non-anecdotal commentary I’ve seen says you’re far more likely to be the victim of intimidation as a Yes voter.

ninfan
    Free Member

i see your media mogul whose empire gives him access into most people’s lives and raise you one mass-murdering dictator who overthrew the elected government, banned opposition and used “disappearances” and torture to hold on to power

Nah, him and Alex fell out a while ago:

jambalaya
    Free Member

FWIW I spoke to my Scottish colleague (non voter) who’s been speaking to his friends and family North of the Border who are registered voters.

@epic one side is not going to get what it wants, you know my view that an iS is going to find things very tough, those who’ve voted No will be very dissatisfied with the economic consequences and likewise the Yes voters if there is a No. I really don’t see everyone sitting down over a pint to discuss, the recriminations are going to be significant.

peterfile
    Free Member

those who’ve voted No will be very dissatisfied with the economic consequences and likewise the Yes voters if there is a No. I really don’t see everyone sitting down over a pint to discuss, the recriminations are going to be significant.

I think you’re doing a disservice to the Scottish people.

epicyclo

jambalaya – Member
    …I really don’t see everyone sitting down over a pint to discuss, the recriminations are going to be significant.

Don’t worry, we will, and the digs will be merciless. 🙂

grum
    Free Member

Anecdotes aren’t data. Survation did a survey and found that 8% of No voters had had abuse, for Yes voters the figure is 21%

That might just prove that yes voters are more sensitive though. It’s hardly ‘evidence’ is it?

piemonster

Don’t worry, we will, and the digs will be merciless.

+1

I’ve already started preparing materials.

I think you’re doing a disservice to the Scottish people.

+another 1

Possibly there’s a perception gap for many, on account of things like getting hit with an egg being news for a week, whereas a 60 year old man getting beaten up in the street barely merits a mention. All the actual researched, non-anecdotal commentary I’ve seen says you’re far more likely to be the victim of intimidation as a Yes voter.

I’d agree with that.

epicyclo

grum – Member
    “Anecdotes aren’t data. Survation did a survey and found that 8% of No voters had had abuse, for Yes voters the figure is 21%”
    That might just prove that yes voters are more sensitive though. It’s hardly ‘evidence’ is it?

Aye we’re too soft.

That lady shouldn’t have fallen over when kicked in the guts by a No organiser, that old man shouldn’t have gone to hospital, and the people in that Yes office should have appreciated that having their office burnt to the ground was actually a kindly attempt to provide some warmth for the homeless on a cold night.

irelanst
    Free Member

Any links to those stories?

grum
    Free Member

It’s emotive straw man rubbish like this ^^^^^^^^^ that infantilises the debate.

That’s not even remotely what I suggested is it.

Mind you I believe it was epicyclo who brought up the clearances as a reason to vote Yes (while failing to realise they were mostly carried out by Scottish landowners) – but there’s definitely no element of nationalist or anti-English racism going on. 🙄

bigjim

I see lots of no thanks signs have been smashed to bits in the Borders last week, classy, thought they got in trouble for that last time round didn’t they?

Northwind

I think the one about a Yes office turned out to be just an empty shop unit covered in Yes posters, didn’t it? Which could possibly have been targeted because of the posters, or possibly just because Glasgow.

Here is a link to one of the stories:
    http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/yes-campaigners-attacked-by-mob-outside-tynecastle-1-3527125
    My dad knows Stewart from the pub, he’s reasonably bruised and still pretty shaken up, but taking it pretty well considering.

Here’s the other one:

http://www.scotsman.com/news/scotland/top-stories/man-held-over-assault-after-yes-no-confrontation-1-3526187

Scotsman doing a nice job of avoiding admitting who was doing the kicking…

epicyclo

irelanst – Member
    Any links to those stories?

Strange they were they not reported in your press, when the slightest criticism from Yes is construed as bullying and gets hysterical airplay.

I’m off out for a while. I’ll dig them up when I get back, so someone else can provide the links, or maybe Google.

bencooper
    Free Member

It wasn’t a Yes shop, it was a newsagents with lots of Yes signs on it – and it was only a wheelie bin fire, not serious arson.

Considering we’re talking about something so important I’m amazed and proud that it’s been so civilised and respectful – despite the best attempts of some to portray it otherwise.

aracer
    Free Member

I expect this would be a good place to start for tales like that

https://www.google.co.uk/#q=site:http:%2F%2Fwingsoverscotland.com%2F

gordimhor

This is the press release from the Scottish Police Federation about as close to evidence that you ll get Grum

In response to the suggestion of absolute carnage in and around polling stations on the 18th Sept Brian Docherty, Chairman of the Scottish Police Federation said;

“The independence debate has been robust but overwhelmingly good natured and it would prove a disservice to those who have participated in it thus far to suggest that with 17 days to go, Scotland is about to disintegrate into absolute carnage on the back of making the most important decision in the country’s history

Politicians and supporters of whichever point of view need to be mindful of the potential impact of intemperate, inflammatory and exaggerated language, lest they be seen to seek to create a self fulfilling prophecy”

grum
    Free Member

despite the best attempts of some to portray it otherwise.

You mean like epicyclo?

Strange they were they not reported in your press, when the slightest criticism from Yes is construed as bullying and gets hysterical airplay.

I read about the kicking incident – it seems the woman in question tried to grab a loudhailer from the person who kicked her. Not saying that makes it justified but she hardly sounds like a peaceful advocate for free expression does she. And we’ve already heard that your story about the Yes campaign office getting burned down is inflammatory nonsense. What was the other one again?

bencooper
    Free Member

Meanwhile it’s going a bit Eastenders:

“I’m leaving you!”
    “But I’m pregnant!”

😀

bencooper
    Free Member

You mean like epicyclo?

I mean like Jim Murphy claiming that there was an orchestrated campaign of intimidation and the egg attack on him was ordered at the highest levels of government, and the press instead of saying “yeah, right” instead printed his paranoid rumblings for days.

grum
    Free Member

I’m not disputing the fact that Jim Murphy is full of shit – it’s just massively hypocritical for people who support the Yes campaign to whine about inaccurate scare-mongering while doing the exact same thing themselves.

But you don’t seem to mind when people ‘on your side’ do it.

molgrips
    Free Member

Meanwhile it’s going a bit Eastenders:

You’re going to need a new soap. Eastenders is so London-centric.

bencooper
    Free Member

Well it is true that an elderly man had his wrist broken, it’s true that an official No campaigner was arrested for kicking a woman in the stomach, and it’s true a mob attacked a Yes stall at Tynecastle.

So while it’s important to keep an eye on these incidents, it’s also important to keep them in perspective.

aracer
    Free Member

“I’m leaving you!”
    “But I’m pregnant!”

“slag!”

whatnobeer
    Free Member

You’re going to need a new soap. Eastenders is so London-centric.

Have you ever seen River City? Top quality soap straight from the streets of Glasgow. Looks like that’s the last hurdle sorted 😛

bencooper
    Free Member

“Leave it, ‘e’s not worf it (once the oil runs out)!”

carlossal
    Free Member

Could independence lead to the resurrection of “Take the High Road” soap from the 1980/90’s. Remember my Gran (Welsh btw) being addicted.
    If I remember correctly was like “Emmerdale farm” but with better scenery.

molgrips
    Free Member

Have you ever seen River City?

No, why would I want to watch foreigners on telly when I can watch perfectly good Welsh people instead?

Northwind

grum – Member

But you don’t seem to mind when people ‘on your side’ do it.

What you seem to be comparing here is random individuals on social media making mountains out of molehills (ie the “shop”) vs elected members of parliament and public members of the Better Together campaign doing the same, and getting reported unchallenged in national media. Bit of a difference there.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Could independence lead to the resurrection of “Take the High Road” soap from the 1980/90’s. Remember my Gran (Welsh btw) being addicted.
    If I remember correctly was like “Emmerdale farm” but with better scenery.

Throw in a return for Monarch of the Glen and you’d swing the remaining undecideds I reckon :p

grum
    Free Member

What you seem to be comparing here is random individuals on social media making mountains out of molehills (ie the “shop”) vs elected members of parliament and public members of the Better Together campaign doing the same, and getting reported unchallenged in national media. Bit of a difference there.

Two wrongs don’t make a right, etc.

gordimhor

Irelanst, Aracer
    Yes campaigners attacked near Tynecastle
    80 year old man asaulted on the royal mile
    There were hundreds of witnesses to the incident where Max Dunbar of the Britannica Party kicked a woman in the stomach and called her junky scum. He was arrested.

piemonster

If a yes vote means more Monarch of the Glens Im changing my vote

Viewing 40 posts - 10,361 through 10,400 (of 12,715 total)

The topic ‘Osbourne says no to currency union.’ is closed to new replies.