Viewing 40 posts - 10,121 through 10,160 (of 12,715 total)
  • Osbourne says no to currency union.
  • bencooper
    Free Member

Latest YouGov Poll:

Yes 51% (+4)
    No 49% (-4)

😀

wanmankylung
    Free Member

How much of a swing is that in how many days/hours Bencooper?

piemonster

Thank **** i put that bet on already

scotroutes

PM – did U get my PM about tomo AM?

piemonster

Errrr….

scotroutes

piemonster

Yes, gotcha

bencooper
    Free Member

How much of a swing is that in how many days/hours Bencooper?

That’s 4% in a week, something like 22% in a month if you only look at YouGov polls – which have historically showed the lowest Yes results.

piemonster

Panelbase should be interesting.

scotroutes

That’s 4% in a week, something like 22% in a month if you only look at YouGov polls – which have historically showed the lowest Yes results.
    [/quote]Something wrong there – surely? Is it normal for polls to swing so much in such a short space of time (unless YouGov have somehow changed their methodology)?

scotroutes

Is anyone yet taking bets on what “Dirty Tricks” we can expect in the next couple of weeks? I was chatting to a No-supporting Manchester-living English client today and he was seriously proposing the idea that some sort of intervention would happen. Maybe DC will declare war and a state of National Emergency and then “postpone” the vote until things have quietened down?

bencooper
    Free Member

piemonster

Something wrong there – surely?

“Dirty Tricks”

If i put my tin foil hat, and consider the CEO of You Gov. Maybe this is a dirty trick to get the less motivated no voters to vote.

It’d have to be a big and ornate tin foil hat.

Maybe there’s new methodology accounting for ‘new voters’?

johnners
    Free Member

This is all wrong. Why isn’t the overwhelming media bias working out better for the No campaign?

bencooper
    Free Member

Something wrong there – surely? Is it normal for polls to swing so much in such a short space of time (unless YouGov have somehow changed their methodology)?

Depends if one side manages to run a total clusterf*** of a campaign. The poll also shows that trust in all the other party leaders is much, much lower than that for Salmond and Sturgeon. So basically the scare stories that Better Together we’re relying on aren’t working because no-one believes a word they say.

piemonster

wanmankylung
    Free Member

This is what I think (partly after a couple of beers and having had an excellent day): The undecideds have been doing that Scottish thing of keeping their cards close to their chest and listening quietly to the different arguments for as long as possible. They have now decided that Yes is the way forwards.

It’s only going to get worse for No as Queeny and Cameron make a joint appearance at Kirk tomorrow. Before we then get flooded with unionist Westminster MPs next week.

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

This is all wrong. Why isn’t the overwhelming media bias working out better for the No campaign?

Do you want a clue, Darling?

piemonster

The undecideds have been doing that Scottish thing of keeping their cards close to their chest and listening quietly to the different arguments for as long as possible. They have now decided that Yes is the way forwards.

*Disappointing lack of tin hats involved

bencooper
    Free Member

Don’t worry, Nigel Farrage is coming to save the union 😀

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Looks like Westminster is panicking. ^

brooess
    Free Member

I was just about the post that Guardian link. If the vote goes in favour of independence the shock could well derail the ‘recovery’ as business confidence and certainty about the future falls off the track.

From The Economist this week:

Capital is already taking flight from Scotland

If the prospect of a departure worries bankers and investors, of course, an actual one would cause enormous upheaval. Nationalists have set a date of March 2016 to separate from the United Kingdom. That is probably too ambitious. However long the negotiations take, they will be tortuous and ill-tempered. Almost everything, from currency to nuclear weapons, would be on the table, making for a fluid, uncertain picture. Expect the jitters to continue.

Of course, if those people who voted yes see money leaving the country as a direct result, they may well ask for their voting papers back…

athgray
    Free Member

Does that Sunday Mail headline look like an example of media bias helping the no campaign?
    It is based on something said months ago, and is an example of gutter press s**t stirring.

I am a bit disappointed in you there piemonster. The Mail ffs. 🙁

piemonster

I did feel a little wrong tbh

athgray
    Free Member

Best have a long shower and good scrub.

scotroutes

gordimhor

Does the Guardians “Radical New Deal” so long as we vote no now remind anyone of Lord Home

The campaign for a “no” vote was much helped by an assurance by former Prime Minister Lord Home of the Hirsel that a future Conservative Government would introduce legislation which would meet the objections. This pledge, made by Lord Home in a personal capacity, was not honoured by the Conservatives when they came to power a few months later.

Wikipedia
    Dirty Tricks seem to have turned up sharpish Scotroutes 🙂

scotroutes

I will simply refer the honourable gentleman to the bottom-left section of the image I previously posted 😆

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Taking a moment aside folks, just for a wee seperate side issue – forget how you actually want the vote to go, how do you actually think the vote will go?.

I’m in favour of a yes vote, but think the no will unfortunately prevail. Whaddya think?.

scotroutes

Until very recently I would have agreed with you. Over the past few weeks though I have sensed a bit of a groundswell. Perhaps it is this that the polls are picking up on?

RickDraper
    Free Member

If Scotland do go independent England need a land border similar to the one between Mexico and the USA with shoot at sight powers!

rene59
    Free Member

Right up until last week I was predicting No 54% Yes 46%. Now I don’t have a clue, too close to call I think. I wonder if it will be so tight we will have numerous challenges and recounts. Anyone know the rules on this?

gordimhor

Very similar again I would have thought Bt were favourites until 4 or 5 weeks ago.

TheFlyingOx

A question I’ve been wondering recently. Should we end up independent, would a mortgage on a Scottish property held by a company based in England have its interest rate determined by rUK interest or by Scottish interest rates?

scotroutes

Mortgage rates are set by banks.

athgray
    Free Member

I always thought it would be tight with No perhaps edging it. Now I think Yes may win. As much as I disagree with their message they have run a far better campaign than Better Together. I have been very disappointed with Darling.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Athgray, me too!.

Viewing 40 posts - 10,121 through 10,160 (of 12,715 total)

The topic ‘Osbourne says no to currency union.’ is closed to new replies.