Viewing 40 posts - 9,281 through 9,320 (of 12,715 total)
  • Osbourne says no to currency union.
  • bencooper
    Free Member

If exchange rates moved against you by 5% that could have a very real impact on your ability to pay the bills.

I’ve been in business importing and exporting since ’95. I’ve seen much bigger exchange rate movements than that – plan properly, no problem at all.

molgrips
    Free Member

Less than twenty days to a momentous decision that is being driven by extraordinarily shallow understanding, limited planning and flawed analysis

Yep. That’s why I think the whole thing is about nationalism, pure and simple. The pragmatic solution is devo max. If AS realy wanted the best for the Scottish people that’s why the referendum would be about, I’m sure.

I’m sure this was discussed whilst I was not listening at some point.. ?

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Less than twenty days to a momentous decision that is being driven by extraordinarily shallow understanding, limited planning and flawed analysis.

On the contrary, it is you who has an extraordinarily shallow understanding. People get that there is uncertainty over the financial impacts of independence, it’s just that finance is not at the top of their list of concerns. People voting yes tend to care more about getting a government that they vote for and one that they can hold accountable. They like what the SNP is doing as the party in power. People up here genuinely care about equality, educating our kids well and looking after those who cant look after themselves. You should try coming north once in a while – Scotland is radically different to the south of England, and a much nicer place to live for it.

bencooper
    Free Member

That’s why I think the whole thing is about nationalism, pure and simple

If you mean civic nationalism – the idea that Scotland is a nation made up of the people who live here, wherever they’re from, yes. If you think it’s about ethnic background, where you’re born, it really isn’t. I’m the only Scottish-born person in my whole family (apart from 4-year-old daughter) and we’re all voting Yes.

This isn’t about pound and pence for most people, it’s not an unemotional tallying up of the costs one way or another to come to a completely Spock-like rational decision. Of course it isn’t, it isn’t for any decision humans ever make. What it is is about hope, hoping that it’s possible to change things. People voting Yes are hoping that independence will kick-start that change. People I know who are voting No are equally hopeful that staying in the Union we can force change.

Oddly, that reason for voting No is one that’s not heard very often. Probably because the parties in charge of the a Better Together campaign don’t like the implication that things at the moment aren’t brilliant and need radical change. However it’s a point of view I respect even if I don’t agree with it.

fasternotfatter
    Free Member

On the contrary, it is you who has an extraordinarily shallow understanding. People get that there is uncertainty over the financial impacts of independence, it’s just that finance is not at the top of their list of concerns

On a poll taken early in the year currency was top of the list of concerns. Maybe if this had been addressed before AS lost the first TV debate the polls would be more favourable of a yes vote.

fasternotfatter
    Free Member

You should try coming north once in a while – Scotland is radically different to the south of England, and a much nicer place to live for it.

I have been and I didn’t feel like I was in utopia. It wasn’t long before the racism started although most people were pleasant.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

On a poll taken early in the year currency was top of the list of concerns

I have never been polled and nobody I know has ever been polled – that’s a hell of a lot of people not been polled. Therefore I take poll results with a pinch of salt.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

It wasn’t long before the racism started although most people were pleasant.

Can you give us examples of that racism?

bencooper
    Free Member

I have been and I didn’t feel like I was in utopia. It wasn’t long before the racism started although most people were pleasant.

What on earth were you doing? I grew up in Glasgow with an English (ish) accent and never had any more than light ribbing in 37 years.

fasternotfatter
    Free Member

Endless digs at the English with an undertone of violence. As I said though most people were pleasant. If ever you get bored of being surrounded by bigots you could always come down to England and be assured that people in general don’t bat an eyelid when they hear a Scottish accent.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Endless digs at the English with an undertone of violence.

No specific examples?

bencooper
    Free Member

you could always come down to England and be assured that people in general don’t bat an eyelid when they hear a Scottish accent.

Contrarily, the only time I’ve ever felt seriously abused for my background was on a 2-week training course for IBM. Two of us Scots (one female) with about 30 English people who would get very offensive especially when drunk in the evenings.

Really, though, there are idiots everywhere.

scotroutes

No specific examples?
    [/quote]I’m sure he’s capable of inventing some

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I have lived there and travel there often – hence the interest. No Scotland is not radically different. That goes alongside Nessie as a myth. It is remarkably similar in many ways to the rUK which is one of the reasons why AS and yS want to be part of a CU. The radically different idea is a convenient but flawed narrative that falls over under basic scutiny – including educational inequality and health.

The SNP has delivered very little especially in relation to its fairy tale future promises. On top of that, just look his much of the status quo, yS is proposing to keep under so-called independence (sic)

You can dress a pup in whatever way you choose, but if it walks like a pup, smells like a pup and shits like one then a pup is what you have been sold. You cannot escape this fact.

(From the start of this campaign, the economic gains have proven to be one of the most important deciding factors hence the reams of BS figures. To suggest otherwise is immediately falsifiable)

fasternotfatter
    Free Member

The first lot of abuse was at a service station, the next lot was at a bar and on it continued. Face it some Scots are racist towards English people. The same level of hatred is not returned from the south of the border. Civilisation is only a few hours away, come any time you want.

bencooper
    Free Member

I have lived there and travel there often – hence the interest. No Scotland is not radically different. That goes alongside Nessie as a myth. It is remarkably similar in many ways to the rUK which is one of the reasons why AS and yS want to be part of a CU

Read Lesley Riddoch’s Blossom – there are many fundamental differences in health, housing, political viewpoint etc.

peajay

Pretty sure devo max was supposed to be on the ballot paper but Cameron insisted it was taken off so that it was a straight yes or no, this could very well back fire on him now.

bencooper
    Free Member

Face it some Scots are racist towards English people.

They are, you’re completely right. The difference is, though, that you got anti-English abuse at a service station – we get anti-Scottish abuse in the mainstream media, on Have I Got News and on The News Quiz. It’s mainstream.

fasternotfatter
    Free Member

The majority of Scots don’t share your views so you can’t expect the media to be on your side. Hence why Ben is always posting links to “one man and his sheep” blogs.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Here’s the Rowntree Foundations in May this year as a starter on education

In Scotland today, over one in five children lives in poverty. It affects their health, their education, their connection to wider society and their future prospects for work. Although Scottish education does well for many of its children, it does not serve these most vulnerable children well and the gap in educational attainment between pupils from the richest and poorest background is wider than in many similar countries.

Rhetoric versus reality – you choose.

People up here genuinely care about equality, educating our kids well and looking after those who cant look after themselves.

Noble goals but hardly matched by SNP delivery. Ditto health…..

bencooper
    Free Member

What’s your point? I know Soctland has some very, very deprived areas, I live in one of them.

carlossal
    Free Member

wanmankylung, Everywhere in the UK is radically different to the south of England [well except for the shire counties], Scotland has no monopoly on that. However “caring and sharing” people say they are, the moment it starts to hurt them in their wallets and purses a sort of financial veil falls over them. For example, how many Left-leaning council house tenants throughout the UK used “Right To Buy” laws to help themselves onto the property ladder at a considerable discount, while also buying shares in de-nationalised utilities ?
    I’m sorry to say the average bloke in the street both North and South of Hadrian’s Wall will always look out for their own family/interests before others.

rene59
    Free Member

I suspect fasternotfaster was only abused because he’s a trolling bellend and not because he is English. This myth that there is widespread anti-English sentiment in Scotland is a load of bollocks, sure there are some arseholes, proportionally not any more than what a Scot would face in England. I live and work in both countries and have had some numpties try it on but only a tiny percentage of the people I have met.

bencooper
    Free Member

For example, how many Left-leaning council house tenants throughout the UK used “Right To Buy” laws to help themselves onto the property ladder at a considerable discount

It happened less and later in Scotland, and Right To Buy has now been scrapped in Scotland.

fasternotfatter
    Free Member

I suspect fasternotfaster was only abused because he’s a trolling bellend and not because he is English. This myth that there is widespread anti-English sentiment in Scotland is a load of bollocks, sure there are some arseholes, proportionally not any more than what a Scot would face in England.

I walk in to a service station, people next to me hear my English accent and start to abuse me, the same happens within minutes of walking in a bar. What happens in Scotland when England play a foreign team at football? I saw the entire bar cheering on the other team, this doesn’t happen vice versa.

aracer
    Free Member

What it is is about hope

[/thread]

(I very much doubt it is!)

fasternotfatter
    Free Member

We must be doing something right.

As part of the UK….

carlossal
    Free Member

Ben, Scotland saw 500000 sales under Right to Buy, this with a Scottish population c5 million. This must have had a huge impact on the availability of social housing. The legislation must be one of the worst ever enacted under Maggie Thatcher [unless you were one of those who benefitted !!].

edit : Ben, the end of Right To Buy only comes into action after August 2016. Still plenty of time unfortunately for Scotland’s housing stock to be depleted.

bencooper
    Free Member

Yup, which is why the SNP scrapped it. However the take-up was quite a bit later in Scotland than down south I believe, at least according to the figures I’ve seen.

bencooper
    Free Member

As part of the UK….

Education is completely separate – nothing to do with being in the UK (apart from overall funding levels).

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Civilisation is only a few hours away, come any time you want.

Some would call that racism, therefore your “experiences” are null and void.

fasternotfatter
    Free Member

Some would call it a fact that Scots are more welcome in England that the other way around. Don’t try to deny the anti English element in Scotland. I have experienced it first hand.

bencooper
    Free Member

You seem to have experienced it more than I have in 37 years, is what’s odd. I go into petrol stations and pubs all the time with an English(ish) accent.

rene59
    Free Member

Some would call it a fact that Scots are more welcome in England that the other way around.

Aye, and they would be trolls also.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Some would call it a fact that English are more welcome in Scotland that the other way around. Don’t try to deny the anti Scottish element in England. I have experienced it first hand.

Seeing as people from both countries hate each other so obviously it’s probably best to go our separate ways.

I’ve heard bencooper’s accent and am very surprised to learn that he is not English.

bencooper
    Free Member

Feeling a little paranoid now 😀

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Bought a Chariot trailer from you 8ish years ago – it’s still going strong and has done us for three kids.

bencooper
    Free Member

Ah, good stuff 😉

BoardinBob

What happens in Scotland when England play a foreign team at football? I saw the entire bar cheering on the other team, this doesn’t happen vice versa.

Yes, because im sure if you walk into a pub in Rio de Janeiro on the night Argentina are playing, you’ll find all the Brazilians cheering for the argies…

And if you’re getting abused in a service station its probably because of what you’re saying rather than than the accent you’re saying it in, though I strongly suspect its a figment of your imagination

Viewing 40 posts - 9,281 through 9,320 (of 12,715 total)

The topic ‘Osbourne says no to currency union.’ is closed to new replies.