Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 147 total)
  • OS Maps Mobile (& web) launched Yesterday.
  • plyphon
    Free Member

Hello,

The first version of OS Maps Mobile (& the responsive web version) launched yesterday.

Download from the App Store or the Play Store – if you register for a free account you can experience our brand spanking new vector mapping all across the UK for free. Search “OS Maps”.

There are many features to come into this product, it’s getting very exciting.

If there are any questions, I’m a bit freer to answer now 🙂

Cheers

jonathan
    Free Member

Downloaded… looks good! Annoyingly I bought some new (old) 1:25k maps the other week, without the downloads :-/

Stoner
    Free Member

*goes off to download and run a critical eye over….*

still not forgiven OS for the online maps interface debacle.

plyphon
    Free Member

Stoner, what was that in relation to?

Was that the white icons on the white map? If so, that’s already been fixed and should be live already, or at least very soon.

cinnamon_girl

@ plyphon – I posted this a week ago, presumably you didn’t see it so have reposted:

@ plyphon – can you help please? Printing margins on this new fangled version are much larger than with the previous version – is there any way to change this?

Thanks.

What is the ‘responsive web version’?

Thank you. 🙂

jonathan
    Free Member

So what’s the relationship between the app and the web site? If I subscribe on the web do I get the maps on the app and are they available off line, or is that just from downloads from purchased paper maps?

Currently a ViewRanger user (I get local 1:25000 provided free as I’m mountain rescue and buy other tiles as needed), so just trying to work out what’s the best bet for when I’m elsewhere in the country.

grizedaleforest

Web version that automatically adapts size etc to the screen you’re using. So same website works on a smartphone, tablet and PC.

Stoner
    Free Member

Was that the white icons on the white map? If so, that’s already been fixed and should be live already, or at least very soon.

just been back to OSMaps and, yes, that has been fixed now. Have a gold star.

Main gripe is that I need to be a paid up subscriber to view OS explorer/Lranger mapping?

Really?

What with Bing and Streetmap serving it for free! I get the idea of subscribing for additional functionality, such as route plotting, smart print output etc. But browsing? No. Bad Ordnance Survey. Bad dog.

chambord
    Free Member

I like the route plotting giving you the elevation profile as you add pins 🙂

Stoner
    Free Member

Searching insists on returning a list of streetnames within which is my village name. But doesnt return my Village 🙁

Oh, and quelle surprise, Rodney, no Explorer or Landranger map rasters available 🙂

*heads off back to UK Atlas Lite where LR is free. Harrumph*

(and really, no disrespect to you plyphon, if you’re involved in the software etc, that’s really nice and has come out pretty well, but can you go and boot some arse upstairs responsible for the shitty approach to free use of the mapping we as taxpayers have already paid for!)

plyphon
    Free Member

Okay alright 2 seconds here… haha

@ plyphon – can you help please? Printing margins on this new fangled version are much larger than with the previous version – is there any way to change this?
    Thanks.

Hmm, I don’t think so. Do you mean the margins physically when printed? I can ask what can be done if that is an issue. That part of the product is getting a slight makeover to make it a bit more pretty and easier to use, so hold tight there.

A website that will work as intended on desktop, tablet & mobile. Non responsive sites break and display crap on smaller devices.

So what’s the relationship between the app and the web site? If I subscribe on the web do I get the maps on the app and are they available off line, or is that just from downloads from purchased paper maps?

Yeah, so theres one subscription that covers web & mobile. If you subscribe, you get full UK coverage in 1:25 and 1:50k, and this new funky “night mode” map. You can also save any area of mapping for offline use. There will be some proper communication around this as it develops, but thats the crux.

Registered users (not subs) can import their paper maps with the smart map code.

I like the route plotting giving you the elevation profile as you add pins

Yeh, it’s really cool that, ey. Try dragging a finger over the elevation curve also.

And questions relating to pricing etc isn’t my area of work! Don’t shoot the messenger etc etc. 😆

jonathan
    Free Member

Thanks! May be worth a sub at that price then 🙂

jambalaya
    Free Member

OP thanks for the good work, been a very happy user of the Beta test version. Don’t worry about Stoner he can’t see properly 😉 I did a “guide” for him 🙂

BTW I’ve had issues with route uploads, seems the website still can only handle small gpx files. A typical 1-3hr ride logged on Endomondo won’t load.

40mpg

That looks pretty good on mobile.

I was a subscriber to the old Get-A-Map, and subscribed to the new web service a month ago. Functionality/visibility of that has definitely improved. Its also saved all my old Get-A-Map routes.

However on the mobile version I cant seem to access any web version saved routes? Is this coming?

The other really useful thing for me would be able to save maps/routes to view offline too.

nemesis
    Free Member

plyphon – Have you done that elevation heat map I asked for? 🙂

thetallpaul
    Free Member

Registered users (not subs) can import their paper maps with the smart map code.

Hi plyphon. How do we do this? I can’t see an obvious option on the website.

<Edit> Going to try the app with this first and may upgrade to a sub if I get on with it.</Edit>

40mpg

Aha! FAQ’s covers most of my questions.

To download a map it appears you have to purchase it and get a smart code – is this correct? As a subscriber is this still the case? Otherwise I cant see the benefit of being a subscriber over a registered user!

plyphon
    Free Member

BTW I’ve had issues with route uploads, seems the website still can only handle small gpx files. A typical 1-3hr ride logged on Endomondo won’t load.

I’ll speak to Howard about this.

The other really useful thing for me would be able to save maps/routes to view offline too.

You can do that in the app. Log in, tap menu, and hit “Download Offline Maps”. I’m not sure if you can view your route on this map offline, but you can certainly view that slice of mapping.

Hi plyphon. How do we do this? I can’t see an obvious option on the website.

You know what, I thought this feature was live. I’ve just checked and I cant find it either. Sorry ha. 😳

To download a map it appears you have to purchase it and get a smart code – is this correct? As a subscriber is this still the case? Otherwise I cant see the benefit of being a subscriber over a registered user!

No no, as a subscriber you get the whole UK as i said above. Say goodbye to paper! (I don’t work in marketing.)

plyphon – Have you done that elevation heat map I asked for?

We’re beginning to play around with funky data visualisation stuff actually. It’ll be great.

nemesis
    Free Member

Like lots!

40mpg

Can you do a bridleway density heatmap tto please so I can see where to book my holidays 😀

tomnavman
    Free Member

(Apologies if this has been asked before)

Is there any way to import all the tiles I have bought in OS Mapfinder into this new app?

Thanks

cinnamon_girl

@ plyphon – thanks for your reply. 8)

jam-bo

We’re beginning to play around with funky data visualisation stuff actually. It’ll be great.

can you add the strava heatmap as well…

epicyclo

Can a route be made to follow a path automatically?

annebr
    Free Member

What’s the difference between OS Maps and OS Mapfinder?

I downloaded OS Maps, is it meant to show footpaths and bridleways? Like the maps I buy?

plyphon
    Free Member

You can redeem maps here for now:

https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/shop/redeem.html

Stoner
    Free Member

by far the best at that is:
    http://gmap-pedometer.com/

I downloaded OS Maps, is it meant to show footpaths and bridleways? Like the maps I buy?

You would have thought so, wouldnt you, Anne. What with all the other free OS mapping resources one can choose from, without having to pay again…

I’m in a grump now.

plyphon
    Free Member

can you add the strava heatmap as well…

no because thats owned by Strava….

That’s coming in the future. Our detailed path network will be amazing.

jam-bo

no because thats owned by Strava….

and made available on a public WMTS

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Strava

annebr
    Free Member

Stoner – Member

You would have thought so, wouldn’t you, Anne. What with all the other free OS mapping resources one can choose from, without having to pay again…

oh 🙁

Stoner
    Free Member

footpaths and bridleways on your mobile here. For free.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mooksoft.osatlaslite&hl=en_GB

On your browser, here. For free.
    http://binged.it/1QriztJ

or here if you go early in the day
    http://footpathmaps.com/

or here
    http://www.streetmap.co.uk/

BadlyWiredDog

Can I buy an OS map and then use the data with a non-OS mapping app or am I conveniently tied to the OS app? If I don’t want the digital mapping, is there an opt out with a discount?

As a ViewRanger user I’m effectively being asked to pay for the same data twice, no? Or have I missed something?

I’m guessing the OP works for OS btw?

Stoner
    Free Member

As a ViewRanger user I’m effectively being asked to pay for the same data twice, no?

four times actually.

Once as a tax payer 😉
    second time when you bought your viewranger map
    third time when you buy your paper map and
    fourth time when you pay to see the maps on the OS App.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Can I buy an OS map and then use the data with a non-OS mapping app or am I conveniently tied to the OS app? If I don’t want the digital mapping, is there an opt out with a discount?

As a ViewRanger user I’m effectively being asked to pay for the same data twice, no? Or have I missed something?

I’m guessing the OP works for OS btw?
    From my understanding (as a normal punter)

The digital mapping on mobile is free as the cost is the same as the OS GetaMap.
    You are paying for Viewranger access currently not for free use of the map data, so yes you’d pay twice. Its my understanding the data is much cheaper via the OS app

annebr
    Free Member

Stoner

footpaths and bridleways on your mobile here. For free.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mooksoft.osatlaslite&hl=en_GB

Not iOS 🙁

Never mind, I quite like paper maps

BadlyWiredDog

From my understanding (as a normal punter)
    The digital mapping on mobile is free as the cost is the same as the OS GetaMap.
    You are paying for Viewranger access currently not for free use of the map data, so yes you’d pay twice. Its my understanding the data is much cheaper via the OS app

I think it works like this: if you buy a new series Explorer paper map you also get a code on a scratch off panel which you can then use to download the digital version of the paper map to the new OS map on your iOS or Android device.

The cost of the map has risen, presumably partly to compensate for this, so you are paying for the digital data as well as the paper map whether you want it or not. So the digital mapping on your mobile isn’t really ‘free’ as you’re paying extra for it I think.

However, although you’re being sold that digital data, if you choose to use a different mapping app, you then have to pay for the same data again in a proprietary format to the app company – ViewRanger for example – which is basically re-selling the data in a different form.

ampthill

I’ll look at this when i get a chance. I’m a big get-a-map user

I didn’t think OS received in any tax income since 1999?

scotroutes

How?

PS – loving it!

epicyclo

I gave it a test run today. I like it.

phead
    Free Member

Tried importing about 10 gpx files, every one fails. Looks like it need a bit of work.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 147 total)

The topic ‘OS Maps Mobile (& web) launched Yesterday.’ is closed to new replies.