Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • OS maps
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

BRILLIANT!

Just spent a happy while with a good beer, poring over maps looking for new routes. Always fun to get a little lost in my maps, and OS mapping really is the best there is!

tenfoot

I get my Lake District maps out occasionally and pore over those. They are like a key to my memories as I trace routes I have walked in the past. Might even get to ride there one day 😳

kcal

better than poring over maps with a cold 🙂

Have a huge stack of ex-MOD maps, really must get around to replacing them as they’re well out of date!!

cinnamon_girl

Agreed. A fantastic historical document too. I love my maps. 8)

smurfly13
    Free Member

Old school paper – always the best way!!

GaVgAs
    Free Member

I can look at an OS map for hours, its amazing how I can keep discovering new trails in the Lake district.

mtbfix

My mum borrowed my two local maps when she was staying last week. And lost them. Natch!

Does anyone look for mistakes e.g the 73m spot height? (could be a very deep pothole I suppose)

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I read mine on the bog, better than a newspaper!

acehtn
    Free Member

If you stare at them long enough, the contour lines sort of appear to be in 3d, you see the map in 3d…..something that dosen’t happen to me with google earth.

Only got a couple but nice to compare OS against Harvey BMC maps, Harvey do some nice work too.

🙂

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

Totally agree, os maps are the best. My wife thinks i’m weird for looking at them in bed, instead of reading a book.

grtdkad

Map nerd here too. Got scores of them 1:50k and 1:20k from my days doing various rally championships the length and breadth of the country.

Several historical OS maps too, nice to see what used to be …

jekkyl

I only found out today that my library has the whole of the UK OS maps and you can borrow them for nought.

Kuco

I’m sure I read somewhere OS deliberately put mistakes in maps so they can check on copyright infringements.

scruzer
    Free Member

yeah cant beat a good old OS Map. This makes me wonder about the map place (that’s not its name) in Aston, near Hope. Always surprised they never get any mention on here. If they are still in business they do lots of os mapping things like laminating and centralising, so like you can have your favourite place centred to your map rather than been on the edge or split across 2 maps like they always are. if anybody has clue what im talking about or know of these guys still been in business let us know on here

thats_not_my_name
    Free Member

I’m sure I read somewhere OS deliberately put mistakes in maps so they can check on copyright infringements.

Not according the the OS, who claimed it was based on design elements, such as road widths:

http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2001/mar/06/andrewclark

I love maps as well and made a career out of it!

scotroutes

scruzer, you can order custom-centered OS maps directtly from the OS.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘OS maps’ is closed to new replies.