Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • os mapping on an iphone
  • MadBillMcMad

What’s the best that supports Os maps?

No idea myself as I’m an android person.
    It’s for my poor iPhone owning brother.

crotchrocket
    Free Member

I use Anquet OMN.

It’s serviceable.

allthegear
    Free Member

The Ordnance Survey’s own app is really quite good.
    Rachel

jam-bo

I use viewranger, seems pretty good.

P20

I’ve used memory map for years, but I can import the desktop maps so it was only the cost of the app on top of what I already had

eightyeight
    Free Member

Viewranger for me.

If I’m heading out on my own I upload my routes on to it and give it to the Mrs in case of an emergency.

Pretty unwieldy, but the best of the bunch IMO

ETA: and it’s free

somouk
    Free Member

Viewranger isn’t too bad and memory map is pretty good.

iain1775
    Free Member

Memory map, but as P20, I had all the maps from desktop version to imnport

jambalaya
    Free Member

OP I use Outside, it has free 1:50,000 maps OS maps. I also find ViewRanger very good by use that more for street maps in towns (downloaded free from web and cached) but I think you have to pay for OS maps. The OS app is very slick but maps are extra and so I just use Outside for free. Also when tracking a ride I use Endomondo, the live update maps are good for working out where you are roughly and getting back to the start point, not OS though.

deadkenny
    Free Member

I don’t do iPhone, but if ViewRanger for iPhone is the same as Android, then that would get my vote. More so as you can use OSM maps with it for free, which in my opinion these days are generally better than OS. OS may have little church steeples that OSM doesn’t bother with but for paths, bridleways, roads etc, it’s great and people mark trails even that would never show up on OS.

Downside with OSM is you can’t download a whole area in advance for offline use. You can browse the area and scroll around to cache the maps but it’s hassle. OS you buy tiles for whole areas (usually more expensive than a paper map for 1:25000).

Oh, and buy ViewRanger once and you can use it on any supported device, keeping your purchases and tracks.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Had a quick look a open cycle map but have lost confidence in it as it has a few cycle paths running right down the middle of the Thames – pretty sure that the tide never goes out far enough to make those rideable…

jambalaya
    Free Member

The OP asked about OS maps. Viewranger is good (I use it especially abroad inc for city street maps) but the free maps are not OS.

MadBillMcMad

cheers all, my brother has the OS maps app but as has been said it is expensive.

It is clearly another case where android wins hands down with BackCountry and maverick to name but two.

GavinB

I’ve been using OutdoorsGB on my iPhone for about a year now. The app cost a couple of quid, which includes al the National Parks at 1:50,000 and GB road map 1:250,000. Extra tiles are £10 and you can use it on multiple devices. So, for me, £22 or so, and I’ve got pretty much all of the Highlands and Islands on my phone (plus all the English and Welsh NPs).

Is Viewranger OS stuff good?

Pieface

I use the OS great outdoors. You pay for maps but they are in your phone so no need to be connected to Internet to view maps. Also has a handy view pointer that shows where you are and what you’re looking at.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘os mapping on an iphone’ is closed to new replies.