Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • OS map/navigation app for Android phone
  • failedengineer

I’m just about to swap my Windows phone for an Android one and I’ll really miss the ‘GPS to Grid ref’ app which displays the OS grid ref and shows it on an OS map if a data connection is available. It cost .99p.
    Does anyone know of a similar (and cheap) app for Android?

footflaps

Use OS’s own app. Brilliant on iPhone….

https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/shop/mapfinder/mapfinder-android.html

Access to the whole UK maps (offline) for only £20 a year.

smashit
    Free Member

OS Locate gives your location as a GR quickly. Combined with OS Mapfinder should do the job! Free too!

reformedfatty
    Free Member

Maverick. costs about a tenner for loads of mapping types, including OS explorer maps and opencyclemap across the whole country (plus more depending if the mapping has it), has offline caching so you can download the areas in advance. Displays your current location on whatever map you are using. Don’t think it shows your grid reference, but there are free apps to do that.

Not affiliated, just probably the best tenner ive spent in the last 7 or 8 years.

plyphon
    Free Member

Don’t use OS Mapfinder, OS Maps is the way to go:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=uk.co.ordnancesurvey.osmaps

Android/iPhone/Web – all with one sub.

failedengineer

One problem for me is that the phone is a company phone and if we change suppliers for some reason, I may lose all my ‘apps’. The old GPS to Grid Ref is free, I don’t really fancy spending a small fortune on maps I may lose after a year or so.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Some comments on the OS app for Android here

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/os-maps-app-on-android-is-it-any-good

and better alternatives too

stevedoc
    Free Member

back country navigator lite:)

plyphon
    Free Member

One problem for me is that the phone is a company phone and if we change suppliers for some reason, I may lose all my ‘apps’. The old GPS to Grid Ref is free, I don’t really fancy spending a small fortune on maps I may lose after a year or so.

If you sign up with a personal email and account you can sign into any computer/iphone/android device and retrieve all your purchased content.

failedengineer

That Maverick one looks good.

user-removed
    Free Member

Massive, ginormous plus one for Back Country Navigator (although I paid the one off fee of about a fiver for the pro version). It’s got me out of so many scrapes. On and offline zoomable OS 1:25000 mapping – if you’re heading out of phone range you just download the maps before you set off – the compass is accurate and reliable, works purely through gps signal, doesn’t chew through your batteries and is basically brilliant.

All that said, I will certainly be having a look at OS’s own app given the comments above. Can’t imagine what it could offer over and above BCN though tbh.

jambalaya
    Free Member

OS Maps user here. Fabulous with 1:25k and 1:50k resolution plus access from desktop computer so can spend hours at work planning rides 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

Ideal for Brexiters too as it only covers the UK.

alongo
    Free Member

Been using OS Maps as a registered user so have bought papar map and downloaded mobile version, noticed that with the premium membership you can import and export routes . Would find the export useful but am not very tech savvy . Would it be possible to export to a Garmin 600 GPS and could it be done by Bluetooth , if so , how ?

CountZero

Ideal for Brexiters too as it only covers the UK.

Funny, I was unaware of the Ordnance Survey producing maps for countries other than the UK…

outofbreath
    Free Member

Massive +1 for Maverick.

I’ve been using it for a few years. Effectively free offline OS map data for the whole of the UK as much as your SD Card has space for.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘OS map/navigation app for Android phone’ is closed to new replies.